learn a new language Humble Bundle

I feel you forgot the best one of them all

4 Likes

Actually, I would go for the German. I already have a Japanese Language Software that I neglect., Human Japanese. (so badly I had to find the disc to remember it.)

My problem is I know I will neglect the German as well since I don’t expect to visit anywhere speaking German for several years. (probably in the range of 5-7 years.)

5 Likes

Another question, does it read funny to anyone else? The bottom orange blurb reads like you only receive the codes and nothing else in the bundle.

4 Likes

Yes it’s a bit odd, but I’m pretty certain they just mean you don’t get the tier 1 3-month codes as well as the tier 3 1-year codes. You only get the tier 3 1-year codes and tou still get all the PDFs.

5 Likes

confirmed, keys are only for 12 months only if you purchase tier 3:

Also the redemption instructions are clear:

What is nice is that you can dive into one language for pretty much 1 year, and then activate another. Since you have a year from the time of purchase to activate the code. (Getting seven 1-year-long language packs for a 2 year span, I think that’s just too much. :rofl:)

7 Likes

So… you planning on using that Japanese key? : )

2 Likes

To be perfectly honest, most likely not.

While I am mostly self-taught on languages and learned some Japanese years ago, I simply do not have the time to dive into this nowadays. I would love to be fluent in multiple languages, but I think I am destined to be stuck on two.

I bought the whole pack for Chinese, as my wife is going through the few courses available at a local university, and she thinks that this might be good for the summer.

I really think this pack was meant as a share/family language pack purchase. Because it’s really absolutely ridiculous to have all of them for one person in that time frame.

I will be happy to part with it.

7 Likes

I would go for Korean, as that is the language I study systematically. Our teacher is a native speaker and we use Ewha Korean textbooks and workbooks; the approach is that everything is in Korean, including the tasks, and while we are near the end of the first textbook, i still feel floating without the base. Also when our sonsennim talks, I only understand maybe a half of it. My friend quit bc he couldn’t understand the speech at all, even after 6 months of studying. Another course would help to get better.

But it comes with a bunch of other languages I won’t have time for ._. even by the most optimistic scenario. So maybe I’ll procrastinate and then buy the first tier, it’ll help to refresh the knowledge of German. 3 months should be enough for gaining the ability to finally replay Deponia on the language of its creators :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I fell in love with Korean when i learned the writing system before going to study abroad in Seoul. I think it’s far more interesting than Japanese.

That approach that you described is the immersive approach and it’s the one that i recommend but it does require more work than usual. I think half of my class in Korea (we were all foreigners) failed because they didn’t study outside of class.

5 Likes

I currently am neighbors with several Korean families and it is great to hear the language from them, and pick up on a few words here and there. My oldest (age 2) calls one of the older ladies there Halmoni since she’s spent so much time with him.

So many lovely languages to learn, so little time.

4 Likes

That’s actually pretty good. I went through the demo long ago. It’s very user friendly, esp. if you want to read and write as well. Think there’s also a newer version or at least a #2 companion software.

1 Like

Have you already parted with the Japanese key?

1 Like

Yes. (While it’s still in my possession, it already belongs to someone else.)

1 Like

Yeah there should be an intermediate version.

3 Likes

I want to hijack this thread to show off my 30-day streak on Duolingo:

4 Likes

is the free version worth it ? i’m using memrise but always looking for better alternative

1 Like

대단한 ! :blush:

2 Likes

It’s nice, but never kept up with Japanese there - no friends on site.

Woohoo! Congrats. Awesome achievement. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes! Use the website, not the app. The app is useless.

1 Like

remember

7 Likes