Humble bundle software deal w/ vpn

7 Likes

What do you all think of the vpn?

2 Likes

I’m always disappointed when the new bundle isn’t a game bundle
(sorry i can’t provide any useful information to the topic)

11 Likes

Might be useful

4 Likes

This makes it 2 weeks in a row… I am super unhappy about it…

6 Likes

I personally really like the idea of the bundle itself.

I will need to do some research on the acual quality of the stuff in there but if the quality is good it might be a really useful bundle.

5 Likes

BRING BACK THE OLD RELIABLE HUMBLEBUNDLE OR I RIOT

no just pulling your leg im not that passionate about anything

7 Likes

I will join you in riot…

I wish I were in charge of humble bundles… :rofl:

6 Likes

I’ve been using PIA for a few months now and I haven’t had any issues with it.

4 Likes

Honestly, the only bits I see in this bundle that are worth it are the one year of PIA subscription and the credit for ProtonMail’s premium service. Those are worth the $15 price of admission. The rest of it? Meh. I can get open-source/freeware solutions that perform the majority of the functions of the rest of the software, and if I need to go do something on the shady side of the Internet I’ll just spin up a VM, so if it gets infected I can just trash the image and start over. I would have been more impressed if they’d have done a bundle of actual books on cybersecurity.

5 Likes

Vm?

Virtual Machine

4 Likes

Think they have done one or two of those already

3 Likes

IMO, this looks pretty weak. I got excited when I saw the name, but these are all one-year subscriptions to tools I don’t really need. It’s a real letdown considering how good their past book bundles have been in this regard.

Looks like this idea was better… on paper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

6 Likes

Bingo. It’s dead easy to run a copy of VirtualBox or some other virtual machine host on a desktop PC these days. Need to try and find something, but you’re going to be digging through some sketchy sites? Spin up a virtual machine and hit the sites in that sandbox. If it gets infested by some kind of drive-by malware or virus from whatever you downloaded, you just delete the machine image and generate a new one. No fuss, no muss, and no risk to your actual PC’s file system.

Now that you mention it, I think I may have bought in on one or two of those already. I really need to go dig back through my Humble purchases and re-catalog all the e-books I’ve bought from them.

4 Likes

I heard a CSI Miami joke and I appeared… I was not disappointed.

5 Likes

Humble had done a few software bundles in the past that weren’t too bad but now that IGN acquired them it seems like the game bundles are coming up less and less while there are more book bundles than ever.

They’re rapidly edging closer and closer to turning into StackSocial and their fly-by-night VPN/DNS services that no one has ever heard of. The VPN provider Private Internet Access in the Humble Bundle is a pretty popular. The 1 year subscription isn’t bad for $15 but everything else it in it besides SpiderOak is junk imo. The only downside to getting a good deal on SpiderOak or something similar like Dropbox is that if you use it and come to rely on it then you have to deal with expensive normally priced renewal fees when your introductory offer expires. :money_mouth_face:

Anyhow, I agree with your sentiment. Hearing there’s a new Humble Bundle isn’t as exciting as it used to be.

6 Likes

If you guys are ever curious about VPN and need help deciding which one to get,

For the love of Gawd,

Please check out this guy’s website before signing up for one year subscriptions:

There’s also a subreddit of the same name and a twitter. I’m on mobile but I trust you guys can find all those with a quick DuckDuckGo search (because I don’t use Google). (:

6 Likes

Yes, the whole thing is extremely overwhelming. Good site, but I’m still in the weeds. Now I only have 185 VPNs to compare. :laughing:

4 Likes

HB was terrible for at least a year before IGN came around. After the acquisition it actually became better imo, not as exciting as years ago but less garbage.

6 Likes