GOG Connect is Active For Summer Sale 2018!!!

What about the “free” part?

2 Likes

Free for your GOG account if you already have it on Steam. Since GOG is DRM-free.

6 Likes

The GOG copy is free. Normally, if you want a game on GOG, you have to pay for it, even if you already own a copy of it on Steam, but you can get it for free through GOG Connect.

5 Likes

if you already own a game, and you get a copy elsewhere its not really free tho… you got me also confused

4 Likes

Sorry…

Free for people who already own it, it’s only a GOG promotion, since they have DRM-free only games and Steam is, well, Steam. So I am sure this is a symbiotic relationship…

Or maybe it’s parasitic? Since GOG is nowhere near as large as Steam…

I don’t know…

Anyway, the point is, if you have a game already in your Steam account that is listed in the GOG Connect list, then you get the DRM-free version added to your GOG account, forever, without additional expenditure on your end, if you do it within the GOG Connect time frame.

At the end of the day, if the developer doesn’t want to give it away for free, it’s really hard to get it for free… Unless you are on the receiving end of one of so many generous people out there who like to give games away at random…

6 Likes

GOG is a different format. They do NOT have Steam games…just downloadable games…Or games for their own online site.

6 Likes

yeah but i guess if you have the game and you can play it, then the second copy is somewhat irrelevant

1 Like

depends entirely on the gamer/person to person, and their situation at hand with one’s games/library/backup functionality/playability

5 Likes

but what if i just buy the games on steam and then do the connect and then i apply for a refund on steam?
will it take away my games on GOG?
or is there a limit on how recent the purchase can be?

1 Like

Sounds like you might want to read the GOG Connect FAQ instead of posting here xP GOG.com
If you remove a game from your Steam library, GOG might remove it from your GOG library - so, I guess to be safe, you should never visit the GOG page again, so that it never scrapes your library again. Of course, if you’ve already downloaded the game, you can still keep it forever, since most GOG games are DRM-free.

5 Likes

You can do that, it does seem to more or less amount to stealing a copy of the game for yourself. Conscience would be what is stopping you ultimately…

And like @eishiya already mentioned, GOG may refresh and remove the game, but if you download and play the game, maybe give some credit where credit is due? If you don’t want to pay full price, a lot of these can be obtained cheaper in bundles here and there, or other deals. Not to mention there are so many free to play games out there that are rather decent, there’s not really a need to do this, right?

I do not think there is a limit on how recent the purchase is, but I don’t really care to find out.

6 Likes

steam will terminate your account for fraud/abusing the refund system
GOG will terminate your account for fraud, -if you then had already downloaded a copy, and you proceed to load that “elsewhere” they will come after you for piracy too :man_shrugging:
moral of the story; don’t be a willful dickbat towards devs/retailers :kissing_heart: :+1: :wink:

9 Likes
Bonus

Lazy Town | You Are A Pirate Music Video - YouTube

Come hunt me down, @delenn13.

5 Likes

Here’s the bonus:

Pirate King song from Gilbert and Sullivan’s Pirates of Penzance

4 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

Hmmm mine only linked 4 games of the 6 or 7 I have from the list… might check back later to see if it works.

(This also reminds me I need to buy FTL: Advanced Edition)

5 Likes

You’re not the only one. While I don’t actually own either of those on Steam, I do own Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, but it’s not picking up on that. Oddly enough, it did pick up on the other six on the listing that I do own.

3 Likes

I would say just wait a little while and refresh it… The GOG servers probably overload, and refreshing helped a bunch of us earlier and yesterday…

5 Likes

Not necessarily. Quite often one will get games as part of a package deal in a bundle that activates on Steam, or a company will only have the game on Steam, which may be less-than-desirable if one is concerned about DRM and the ability to back up one’s purchases (but still wants to play the game). If the game later shows up on GoG, it will be without DRM and allow the user to download and archive a copy of it, but the user may not want to pay for the game twice. By allowing the users to activate copies of games they already own on Steam over on GoG, the publishers are doing a service for the games’ fans and building loyalty through their actions.

The cynical side of this scenario is that the games one sees turning up on GoG Connect are typically stuff that’s older and not selling as well anymore, so the publisher may be doing this to drum up further sales or to hype sales of a new game. Personally, I’m just happy to have more stuff I previously paid for available in a form where I can archive it and re-use it in the future or gift it to future generations in a physical format.

3 Likes

Oh, I hit it up yesterday and they were missing then. Oddly enough, though, the other games showed up and let me add them with no issues. I just checked my profile and found that my Game Details were set to “Friends Only”, which may have caused the problem, but doesn’t explain why it did pick up on some of the games. Maybe GoG was working from a cached scan of my account? Either way, I’ve set my games back to Public and will try another scan a little bit later.

3 Likes