Gaming News Thread

Well that’s unexpected.

.https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1787331667616829929

Hard to see it as anything but a temporary retreat though. “still learning what’s best for PC players” no one is buying that they care what is best for PC players. And I wouldn’t buy the game without knowing what their “future plans” entails.

This still requires you to trust sony wont try again and as I said above, you can’t trust sony.

7 Likes

Sony is not allowed in my house…Never trusted it!

3 Likes

As someone who never bought the game and is just watching this from the sidelines, what’s also disappointing to me is the accompanying wave of bootlickers pointing to this response as a “see, you all overreacted, you just needed to give them time to sort it out.”

When obviously, they only conceded because of the backlash.

6 Likes

Exactly. As they say in Brazil, once they *“sentiram a água bater na bunda”(felt the toilet water hit their butts) they decided they’ll “think” about their decision.

*same as something which comes to a pressure point.

3 Likes

Personally, I don’t think they conceded from the backlash from gamers. Their PR department did an incredible job spinning this to make Sony look like the good guys for “listening to the community.”

In reality, I think they only listened to one group of people…their lawyers. Their lawyers came in and gave them an analysis of how much this was going to cost if they proceeded. Legal fees, settlement payouts, fines from gov. agencies around the world, and the bill Valve was going to send them for being forced to offer refunds on sales regardless of playtime. Sales that they have surely made a payout on to Sony. They usually do a payout 30 days after purchase (this could be less through some sort of contract).

The account linking was stated, though not very noticeably, as a requirement from day 1. The problem is that it was not enforced from day 1. In the eyes of the law of many countries, if something is stated as a requirement but not enforced from day 1, then it is considered optional. If it is then later enforced and that enforcement would result in the loss of the product, service, etc. without the ability for the consumer to opt out or be refunded, then it is considered fraud.

Sony is going to do this again, there is no doubt about that. The only thing that will change is that they will state it very clearly and enforce it from day 1.

They won’t do it again with Helldivers…the devs have said they are going to begin work on some in-house tools similar to what they would have gained by linking to PSN.

At the end of the day an evil corp is going to evil corp, even when it looks like they’re doing good.

But hey…we might get a snazzy cloak from the devs that looks an awful lot like the steam review chart from the past few days :joy:

3 Likes

While this is true the lawyers only had a reason to fear settlement payouts, fines and other costs because the backlash got as big as it did. Without the backlash from the player base none of those other consequences would have materialized. So it is still entirely due to the reaction of the consumers that this decision was rolled back.

4 Likes

I didn’t even think about it from that perspective, but you’re right! They probably tried to get it passed the majority and it blew up in their face. The lawyers probably told them what could happen beforehand which is why they were able to pull the plug so quickly.

3 Likes

“Oh, but Microsoft would never do such horrible things like this.”

It’s Microsoft turn!:

Now you know why Hi-Fi Rush is in this Humble Choice.

As they say in Brazil: “Se ficar o bicho come, se correr o bicho pega.” Don’t trust corpos!

2 Likes

Personally I’m most disappointed about Mighty Doom shutting down :joy:

Redfall probably could have been predicted, updates have been few and far between.

I am a little surprised about Hi-Fi Rush though. That was rather successful :thinking:

3 Likes

Looks like Ghosts of Tsushima is the next Helldivers 2 :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah I think that might just be against the law.

Regulation (EU) 2018/302 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 28 February 2018 on addressing unjustified geo-blocking and other forms of discrimination based on customers’ nationality, place of residence or place of establishment within the internal market and amending Regulations (EC) No 2006/2004 and (EU) 2017/2394 and Directive 2009/22/EC (Text with EEA relevance. )

.Regulation - 2018/302 - EN - EUR-Lex

Essentially I believe that if you’re going to sell anything in the EU, you can’t pick and chose which EU member states you’re selling to.

4 Likes

I think this is related to PSN not being allowed in those countries. A PSN account is required to play Ghost of Tsushima co-op. It would probably be considered fraud to sell a game in those countries that the user can’t play due to not being able to create an account. Valve is probably just covering their rears in the eyes of the law in those countries.

I don’t know why PSN isn’t available in these countries, but I have feeling it has a lot to due with those countries governmental regulations.

Though, now that the PSN account link is no longer required for Helldivers 2, it’s odd that those countries are still blocked. Maybe Valve is waiting for the second wave of changes. They’ve said that they are going to continue discussions, so their might be another attempt in the near future.

3 Likes

I’m not sure that matters, might depend on why PSN isn’t available. If the country itself has decided to ban PSN for some reason then I don’t think sony would be found in breach, like some games can’t be sold in Germany because they’re kind of weird about certain things. But if sony is the reason PSN is not available then I think that as well might be a breach of this law and by extension of course so would not selling the games in the Baltic states.

Someone actually affected might have to report it for anything to come out of it though.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s difficult to say without know who is actually preventing PSN from being available and it very well could be a combination between all the countries affected by this.

2 Likes

Another community backlash win, less prominent from the size of the indie game studios but also worth celebrating:

4 Likes

This really sucks. I have so much money invested. Makes me think about not buying from Steam any more…

2 Likes

Guess which game also requires a PSN account now ?

Sony be like:

2 Likes

yep

3 Likes

Yeah, I knew you’d be angry again. :sweat_smile:

Be ready to get used to it.

3 Likes

like max payne 3 requires a rockstar launcher and sims 4 ea launcher to play a pain in the ass :unamused:

2 Likes