FREE games with Humble "stamps"-event

just in case you didn’t know:
“games you can own on Steam, (that are still DRM free), -games that can be played without client installed/only downloaded once”

5 Likes

Oh wow, that is a huge list! I had no idea… All I knew was to put the client on offline mode to play…

3 Likes

Personally i don’t understand how this matters; can’t u just go on Steam offline if u absolutely want that and play the games offline too? Aren’t u playing them DRM-free then?

I legit don’t know as i always have my steam open so it can keep my games up-to-date and shit

2 Likes

much like some of those other “live services”, steam will require you to connect online once in a while, to confirm your login credentials/client validity
can’t remember exactly “how long” in-between “check-ins”, -but i’m pretty sure it has gotten shorter than it was some years ago

these games, on that list, need no client present at all, you can download them once, like if it were via humble/gog installer, then move them to wherever folder/location, and “remove steam”/run without the client even present on your system -effectively drm free

3 Likes

k, but then u’d also have to keep track of updates yrself and download and install them yrself etc. I guess

I don’t know but i’m happy with steam and how it runs things and makes everything ez rly; for competitive multiplayer games i just have the setting that prevents it from downloading stuff when i play those so it doesn’t influence my connection or so

3 Likes

this is true,
but people that like/use drm free copies in general would also still have to do this, like in the “old days” of patching pc games :smile:
if you download a game via humble/GoG(unless you use galaxy) or elsewhere/anything that is a “one-time-installer”, you’ll have to keep track of updates yourself
-tho ofc a bunch of these games aren’t getting updates or patches every 3days either :wink:,
but definitely something one should be aware of with all/any drm-free copy(unless by some rare occasion it has an auto updater included ? :man_shrugging:)

4 Likes

WOW! :exploding_head:No, I didn’t know. And here I have been buying stuff right and left on Humble and GOG to get the DRM Free stuff. That is an awesome list…I can’t thank you enough for this…:star_struck::heart_eyes::fireworks::sparkler::tada::ribbon::kiss::cupid::heart::heartbeat::broken_heart::two_hearts::sparkling_heart::heartpulse::blue_heart::yellow_heart::orange_heart::purple_heart::gift_heart::revolving_hearts::heart_decoration::heavy_heart_exclamation::love_letter::boom::dizzy:

4 Likes

"all the emojis!!!" :joy: :+1: :hugs:

well, the “others” are probably still a pretty solid place for the drm free stuff, :wink:
given how steam sometimes dgaf if a game can barely run, at least GoG (sometimes) attempts some service to get a game in working condition (depending on the game/dev)
and there is also that whole “eggs/1 basket” thing i suppose, if one were to get reeaally pessimistic :smile:

but in any case it’s always a neat list to have if owning a few of the games on steam, (especially if traveling somewhere with power but no highwebs “tubes”) :rofl:

4 Likes

I completely agree with you. This has been super convenient. I just like the idea of having DRM-Free option in addition, which is a nice bonus.

This became an issue one time when my computer wouldn’t connect to Steam for no apparent reason, shy of beating it with a stick, I tried everything. I couldn’t play for about 48 hrs, then it resolved spontaneously… I was really worried…

3 Likes

the one option which would have made a difference…

3 Likes

The problem with DRM free games is that you need to keep them installed.

For instance, I buy a DRM free game X from Humble and play it and then delete it once I am done, because not all of us have 70PB of storage. 3 years later I want to play it again. However, IGN completely screw Humble up and it closes, leaving me nowhere to download the game from.

With a company as profitable as Valve, I see it lasting for at least another decade.

5 Likes

so how’s that game?

2 Likes

It the same with any online store though. If Gaben decides to have jolly good time with a crowbar and a room full of servers, or Sony tremendously screws up their security letting the hackers do a full wipe, or MS closes their games division all these DRM-infested games would be gone too, only difference is that with DRM it’s harder to back them up for those who have the necessary space.

5 Likes

not really, the good thing about drm free games is you can back them up, save the installer to X; the cloud, a disc, or usb stick, etc, -“cheap storage”
with non-drm games you’re f’d if something happens to the “verification”, like the steam client
-tho i will give you i share the same sentiment about steam being too big to fail,
but there is also that tiiiny bit of worry(of mine), “what happens if - X”, since it wouldn’t take much to get a snowball rolling in today’s world, “if”:cold_sweat:

5 Likes

Don’t even need steam itself to fail, there’s already been plenty of cases of games dying off and being removed from steam because the companies that held the rights to them went bust or because DRM platforms died and no one could be arsed to patch their old games up.

And that’s not even counting all the large multiplayer titles that just stop being worth anything the moment their server support ends.

5 Likes

so true, gamespy closing down alone fcd a lot of stuff, even sp games

2 Likes

Westerado is a pretty fun game so far i got about 9.5 hrs in it. I bought on steam for like 2.99$ i had 6$ left in my wallet from awhile ago. It reminds me of red dead redemption in the sense that it blends serious moments with humor and sometimes strange things. Its got bountyhunting, protecting a stagecoach from bandits and stuff you’d usually see in westerns. I like the combat system if tho it’s simplistic. In every fight instead of just pulling the trigger and shooting the gun you have to cock the gun and then shoot. The health system is funny tho instead of hit points it’s hats each time you get hit you lose a hat. You start with 3 hats each hit you take u lose a hat til you have no hats and take one last hit before death.Each hat type shows differently on your character. Time to wrap this up If you like westerns and just want a fun chill game i’d give it a shot.:grin:

6 Likes

y added to wishlist so might get it on sale sometime, thx mah doodely

5 Likes

Or all the cases where people who bought a copy at launch and couldn’t play because GWL didn’t support their country, which I think was the case with Section 8.

6 Likes

Anytime! If you got any questions or anything about it feel free to pm me or whatever.

5 Likes