Free Ebook- THE BALLAD OF BLACK TOM-US & CA ONLY!!!! From Tor.com

Tor.com is a site for science fiction, fantasy, and all the things that interest SF and fantasy readers. It publishes original fiction, art, and commentary on science fiction and related subjects by a wide range of writers from all corners of the field; both professionals working in the genres and fans. Its aim is to provoke, encourage, and enable interesting and rewarding conversations with and between its readers.”

You only have to sign up for their newsletter and others. I Signed up because you get a lot of offers like this at least once a month…

You must submit your e-mail address and other required information and sign up to receive e-mails from Tor.com, Macmillan and its related companies… NO PURCHASE REQUIRED.

From Tor:
"One of NPR’s Best Books of 2016, winner of the Shirley Jackson Award, the British Fantasy Award, the This is Horror Award for Novella of the Year, and a finalist for the Hugo, Nebula, Locus, World Fantasy, and Bram Stoker Awards.

Available from October 9th to October 13th. Download before 11:59 PM ET October 12th, 2018…
This offer is only available in the US and Canada. We apologize for the geographic restriction, unfortunately it is required for various legal reasons."

Sorry, everyone!

14 Likes

But… I don’t want to register my email with yet another site… :no_good_man: Though I am interested in the book… dilemma…

7 Likes

That’s why we have 10 + e-mails?! :smiley: I bet this was the joke (wasntme)

4 Likes

Is it any good?
edit: Just read the description and it sounds pretty cool.

4 Likes

Yeah, having to make a million accounts gets really annoying. Sometimes it’s worth it for stuff you really want though.

4 Likes

Got a question for you Free Kindle PC readers…Do you still have to be online to read it???

I know, I know…I am lazy!!!:crazy_face:

1 Like

Thank you SO much this is the EXACT kind of thing I wanted to read. Cheers, @delenn13 :tada: :blush:

3 Likes

But @coralinecastell…I am sorry…Unless you are really good at masking your ISP…It’s ONLY US and CA!

3 Likes

GROAN

3 Likes

Somehow I was able to easily get it even though i’m from Europe/Romania, i just entered my e-mail and selected US and i could download it.

(I do not have a VPN or a US account. Also i did this on my Apple device, haven’t tried on PC.)

6 Likes

Thank you, thank you and thank you! This is right down my alley. I prefer a physical book in hand but beggars… and I am a beggar of reading! Especially Sci-Fi / Fantasy. This will be my first read of a digital book. I was able to download it to my Windows PC and convert it over to a *.PDF

Thanks again, @delenn13

Cheers,
Anthony

5 Likes

Awesome! I wonder how many other people are able to do it!:thinking:

Do you have a ebook reader? I use free Calibre:

You need more ebooks…
https://206.81.1.216/t/free-ebooks-and-audiobooks-add-your-fav-sites-to-the-list/9628

Or some sci-fi mags…

https://206.81.1.216/t/free-pulp-fiction-mags/10080

Enjoy!

5 Likes

Snagged this a couple hours ago. Thanks :grinning:

5 Likes

you dont have to make many Just make one specifical for signing up and trash.

2 Likes

L.I.F.E - gotta love it :smiley:

…so I am just getting some more free time as the holiday approaches. I am looking into an eReader but which is the best and allows manipulation using Calibre eBook management? Essentially I’d like to download an eBook, manage all of them with Calibre and ultimately be able to sync it to an eReader.

I want an eReader that will not hurt my eyeballers! I am in IT and stare at multiple screens allllll day. Does anyone have experience with a good eReader for my eye’s??? And that meet the criteria above?

I am itching to make my physical book copy into the digital world - thanks to @delenn13, grrrr :dragon_face: :japanese_ogre: lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you all for any input!!

Cheers

2 Likes

Wish I lived in your universe. Holidays are always busy for me…:crazy_face:

Here’s my input:

I don’t have an ereader; just an cheap android that serves my needs…Games, searches and books basically. I didn’t want a “one-trick pony”. So I can’t help you there. Calibre won’t work on Android. It’s for Win, Mac, Linux and portable(USB Stick).

I use…Aldiko Book Reader(Paid Premium) Think it was only 4 or 5 bucks.

This was about 4 years ago. Now there might be something better now. I don’t know and I hate to use Google Play Store because I hate how their searches are. It’s near to impossible to find anything decent. Since I have an Android box for my TV I use … Aptoide. You might find something there.

####################################################################################
See all that crap up there…Ignore. Except maybe the links( you might find them interesting).

I still don’t have an ereader but Calibre now does Android and ereaders. Thanks to you for making me look this info up.:+1: So Now I can use Calibre on my Tablet. YEA, YOU!:hugs: Because even though i paid for that app; I hated it. Missed Calibre.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/server.html
Frequently Asked Questions — calibre 5.36.0 documentation Check out Device integration.

Like I said. I can’t help you with an ereader but this should help you get started with calibre. As far as the DRM removal…Google or Duck Duck Go is your friend…:heart_eyes::sunglasses:

3 Likes

delenn13,

Thank you so much for the link to Tor. Though I follow them on Twitter it took reading this post to nudge me to go back to the site today and I am so happy I did.

I found this jewel of a FREE read - a full novella, set in WW2, one of my all time favorite eras to read about, and it has a smoking hot, female protagonist which makes it even better. Note: when I refer to smoking hot, I don’t necessarily mean it in a sexual way. It could also be a reference to how kick-ass she is :upside_down_face::blush:

Hell Rode With Her

Now I need to find some money somewhere to buy the rest of the books in this series.

Don’t you just hate how public libraries never, ever stock Fantasy/Science Fiction/Alt History books until the authors have sold 3 billion copies or someone has made a TV series or movie from their books, even an unfinished series like Game of Thrones?

Ok, that’s my rant for today. Let’s hear yours…

3 Likes

About extra email addresses -

I have two that I use. One for books is at www.gmx.com and with this one I have been able to register to get books from any country with no restrictions, though I do live in the USA.

The other one is yahoo.com which I use for machine embroidery, quilting and sewing newsletters that require a sign up before I can download a free pattern or design I want.

Neither of them have my correct info :zipper_mouth_face:. My personal gmail address has mostly my correct info, but I’m really careful what I give to any place that requires me to register. Call me paranoid, but I have way too many friends who work in IT, who tell me horror stories about what companies do with our info to put all my info out there.

Every year when we have to do the time warp, for those not in the USA, change our clocks forward or backward an hour in the stupid delusion that it saves the farmers, my daughter and I change all our passwords. We use a password generator and keeper so its not as hard as it seems but, knock on wood, I’ve been on-line since 1996, and thus far I’ve not been hacked.

3 Likes

lol, I suppose I could have looked that up, too! I think someone - ME - was being lazy, haha. Then again, I suppose there was a reason to my lack of drive as it has inadvertently, or on purpose, helped you :smiley:

Oh man, the content server built-in is very nifty and convenient. Overall file format supported is amazing. I knew I loved Calibre but not this much. Thanks again for pointing me to this software :slight_smile:

I’ll have to look into an eReader and find one that is easy on the eyes. I try to steer clear of the tablets after work as my eyes are already strained. As I research eReaders, a lot claim to be better on the eyes compared to their earlier predecessors. I hope this is true as I was let down when the first generations came out hence I haven’t been back since.

All said, thanks again for getting me hooked on Calibre. You have opened my eyes, and my mind, to revisit the digital world of reading versus a hard copy.

Bless you and Chrono!

2 Likes

Especially small towns. But ours is getting better. 4 towns bounded their system together so you can go to any of the four and get things or they will have it delivered the next day. Plus they are really good at ordering stuff if you ask for it. And we are getting quite a collection of ebooks too.

1994 for me. I went to a Win 95 Party…LOL And stood in line for it in Fort lauderdale. Stupid me at the time.:crazy_face:

Yes, You did. I like that Content Server as well.

I think @coralinecastell has an ereader. So I will summon her for input. (Be prepared for the Elmo burning in Hell pic.)

Aww thanks. We all try to share our knowledge here. I have learned a lot here and I try to give back.:heart_eyes::star_struck::sunglasses::+1:

5 Likes