Feast of Legends (a free Wendy's-centric TTRPG)

Brief Aside

So here’s my take… It is my professional opinion that whatever you start with is probably going to be what you want to use MOST of the time. In tabletop RPG’s whatever you are most comfortable with is what most players like to play the most. So don’t sweat what is ‘easier’ per say… A lot of the stuff regarding RPG rules gets worked out over time… I personally started with D&D 3.5 (with a short dabbling in 4th ed) but I only really played 1 game before I got into Dark Heresy (a warhammer 40k RPG), and from there I kinda lived in the Fantasy Flight games product line for a while. Switching systems is a bit of a hassle at first (especially if they are super different) but a lot of what makes an RPG ‘difficult’ is kinda similar between even totally different systems (mainly because a lot of it is remembering what kind of special situations have rules, and which ones don’t).

Now, to be on topic. Although 5e is built to be more streamlined and easier to pick up it still has a bit of a learning curve (and it really also depends on how you think, if you wanna be really critical 4th edition was supposed to be the ‘easiest’ version, when it arrived. But it had a lot of things that didn’t make intuitive sense for me).

Here’s why 5e is considered ‘less crazy’ the rules for characters in 5e are fairly simple. You pick 3 things: Race, Background & Class and from those things you pick up a combination of skills, abilities and ‘proficiencies’ (in an MMO kinda way), then you progress down a quasi-linear path, each level you get specific things, and then after a few levels you make a choice (hence quasi-linear).

Pathfinder is a bit different, you pick a Race & a class (fewer things to pick from) but the things you get from your class/race are supplemented by things which you as the player pick (feats), which are drawn from (depending on how many books you are using) a frankly labyrinthine list.

Now does D&D 5e have its own version of that labyrinthine list: yes, it uses feats itself, but i am super unclear on those rules, and they are technically optional. Obviously, my personal experience would say: pick the game that gives you the experience you want to have: Pathfinder is built for more ‘tailor made’ characters, where the character is the result of lots of choices and decisions while D&D is a bit more Archetypal.

I personally would guess that 5th ed is probably going to be easier to pick up (again, I am extrapolating based on character creation for Dark Heresy 2nd ed, which followed a remarkably similar mechanic). The exact mechanics between the two of them are remarkably similar, although pathfinder is more ‘technical’ with what gives bonuses/penalties where D&D kind a just blows out it’s cheeks and says ‘advantage’ (I know it still uses bonuses/penalties, but advantage seems to be the games go-to in many cases). But ease isn’t what I am concerned with, personally, I would read through the ‘introductory rules’ which should be freely available for both games and see which one seems more interesting to you.

also @delenn13 I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for making my evening.

6 Likes

Good points. Personally, I have gone between the two quite a bit, as I have different friend groups who enjoy the different rule sets more. The feat list in pathfinder is insane though for sure. The feats and 5e are basically optional bonuses you take (some good some bad) instead of extra stat points every 4 (2?) levels. They are, as you said, optional.

My distinction comes down to ease of entry (for myself anyways). I can create a character in 5e in the span of a couple hours. This includes mapping what progression I want and abilities, as most are sort of chosen and locked early on.

Pathfinder takes me days. Every single level must be (for best results) mapped to give you the full potential of your character. But the choices, oh the choices. That gargantuan list of feats? They chain together and can provide you with some absolutely absurd builds (i once made a level 20 summoner that dealt around 70 d6 of damage per turn, and it could have gone higher).

Again, I wholeheartedly love both, and Both will provide you with great experiences. But 5e requires less from you to start, and both games require a good group of people to plan to play with and never actually do because someone always cancels.

5 Likes

10 Likes

That you can’t do this with DnD 5e (without stringing together a specific chain of optional rules and relying on generous DM interpretation) is very much by design. 5e intentionally moved away from punishing a lack of system mastery, mostly through a combination of trying to remove trap options and in limiting the effects of stats (the difference between a dump-stat 10 and a prime-stat 20 is only +5, or 25% on the die roll). What this means is that a system novice can create a character that can play alongside a system expert’s character without being overshadowed. I consider this a boon.

Consider giving them another look, it’s quite simple really. When you reach a level that would allow you a +2 stat increase, you can choose to:
-Increase a stat by +2 (or two stats by +1), thereby making yourself up to 5% more effective at everything you do based on that stat.
OR
-Take a feat, which makes you noticeably better at a very specific activity and nothing else.

IMHO, the feat option adds more flavor to the character.

6 Likes

That’s absolutely correct.

Also, I’d wager that the lucky feat is OP and should be taken by all characters no matter what.

6 Likes

:joy::rofl: I get them in my RSS feeds. I, also, get xkcd.com. I like my geek humour.

7 Likes

Hmm. I’ll agree Lucky is a very good feat, but I don’t feel like it’s overpowered. I’m open to being convinced, though. My feelings on Lucky: how powerful it is comes down to your character build and DM’s playstyle.

-If the DM tends toward a small number of important encounters, a limited resource like Lucky is more potent than it is in a game that demands careful resource management. I feel like 5e encourages a winnowing-resource game, but of course doesn’t require it.
-If the DM tends towards a ‘save or die’ playstyle, such as making players do Dex saves to avoid slipping off a roof to their doom, Lucky is more potent than it is in a game that won’t kill players on the turn of a single die roll. With a reduction in adversarial DMing, I feel like this is less common than it used to be (though certainly not gone).
-If your character build is “dice sensitive”, Lucky is more potent than it is for a character with other ways of avoiding or mitigating the dice. I tend to favor utility casters, for example, who are less dice sensitive than most other characters (because a wizard can approximate quite a bit of this feat with first level spells). Got hit by an attack? Shield spell. Got hit by a Fireball or a dragon’s breath? Absorb Elements. Fell off the roof? Feather Fall. And plenty of “big gun” spells avoid the dice as well. Polymorph a friend. Split the enemy group with a Wall of Force. Animate Objects. No roll required for any of them.

It’s certainly never a bad choice, though. Just not one I usually go for.

6 Likes

I think that short comic strip was pretty great. Kinda cute to be honest.

4 Likes

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge about DnD and pathfinder. Not to mention Dark Heresy which I never heard of. I definitely would like to try as many Tabletop RPG’s as possible. But for now I will be going with DnD since I already have a potential group set up. Hopefully that goes well. I am definitely interested in more Tabletop RPG’s though. I appreciate the great feedback.

5 Likes

Good points. I guess it is dependent on the specifics of the campaign and your character.
I think though that anything that allows your character to redo any roll that you do or the dm does to you After the roll is completed is potentially incredible.

5 Likes

No disagreement there. You sound like someone who might enjoy playing a Halfling Divination Wizard with the Lucky feat. Three separate features that let you control the dice! This will be you:

7 Likes

I’ve actually played that before XD it was a one shot so i didn’t do much, but I never rolled badly XD.

6 Likes

For @Koroth, @hivefleetbothan and @Vindace :heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation:

7 Likes

There are tons of games out there lots of which nobody knows about… I make it a point to try and collect and curate as much as possible…

On that note. Consider:

It just got a re-release and I really liked the original… like LOVED the original.

7 Likes

Pugmire has a free pdf (more meant for a phone, but still usable as a regular pdf) of the Core Rulebook on DriveThruRpg. I decided since it was free and was originally $15 that I may as well just get it. But an account is required. Not really a big deal since they have a bunch of other Tabletop RPG stuff which is sweet and I usually hate having to make new accounts, but I figured why not due to all the extra free stuff and plenty of Tabletop awesomeness they have on their site. Any of you know if this game is any good or anything about it? I literally know nothing about this game besides that it’s basically like D and D, but with dogs.

7 Likes

Sounds suspiciously like a furry game… I’ll play it.

4 Likes

It is actually probably one of the more brutal RPG’s out there. The 1st edition was incredibly powerful as it is a game where the party is effectively totally outclassed. Everything is deadly and most things kill you in 1 hit.

5 Likes

That’s the extent of my knowledge. I know a lot of people really like it because dogs.

5 Likes

Oh so it’s basically watership down.

Still want to play it. I love pretty much any of these RPG campaigns with neat premises.

7 Likes

You all should get together and play a bit :heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation:

6 Likes