E3: 2018 Conferences Over.

I meant the get hyped of the title as a joke, but I get the idea that people are getting it quite serious, I wonder if I should change the title :thinking:

Or perhaps I’m just too dense to get their jokes too.

5 Likes

First XCOM 2 got a cinematic trailer showing a ton of new content-- a Demolitions guy, the badass Ranger that brought back the X-COM Apocalypse Power-Sword, new Sectoids, return of the Snakemen-- uh, snek-ladies, the new Evac system, a glimpse of the new “Avenger” (an awesome callback to classic X-COM), and a Techie with a drone… as well as a surprise/flank attack for the first time in modern XCOM. Later, they showed a live demonstration of Operation Gatecrasher (first mission in the game if you disable the tutorial), and sure enough, all features present.

Sea of Thieves got a big trailer of all in-game footage showing stuff that’s actually in the game, pretty much a thirty minute tour saying “so yeah, that’s a thing. Cool, an island. That’s a shipwreck. These are cool water physics. Oh f***, we’re being raided–” It was a really great trailer and everything they showed turned out to be legitimate parts of the game. Unlike NMS, they didn’t try to sell some metanarrative, it was “f*** around in Pirate-Land with friends” from the start. The Hungering Deep is also pretty good.

XCOM 2: Operation Gatecrasher

Sea of Thieves Pirate Shenanigans

XCOM 2: Cinematic Reveal

2 Likes

It only starts when the indie titles are revealed

2 Likes

Also, they only showed Unravel 2 today and immediately released it at the same time, so I’d argue the game exactly reflects the presentation there too

in general, i do think the industry as a whole has learned certain valuable lessons these past few years and is steadily improving, and that goes especially for EA (and even Ubisoft)

2 Likes

:+1: :clap: :hugs:

i remember a couple of times, have someone tried to sell me on a game, on what i learned to be the most insane ridiculous basis
e3 “awards”
first i was confused, because “how can a game that’s not even out yet, for months, (or years), get a freakin award?!?”
then i learned it was basically just marketing awards, dumbasses… :man_facepalming: “professionals”/industry people, feeding the bs machine, by looking at a game for X very limited time/scope, not even having it in fckin hand! :triumph:, and deciding to bestow an “award” on it on such “whatever” basis like some badge of fcn merit, (when it would be like handing out movie awards based on trailers&posters)
-basically pr awards under the guise of some product/related validity in relay to “critics”

if a game then nowadays, decides to wear it like some fcn badge of honor, “winner of 137 e3 awards”, it’s a good way to make sure i roll my eyes hard at your product pre-release, until someone actually gets a product in hand, to actually look at it…

it’s okay inferry, i’m just “naturally grumpy”, and wouldn’t want someone to get confused and actually get hyped for what is a industry/company marketing conference :blush:
(in case people forgot, it’s not something they are doing “for us”, as goodwill towards their fans)
just have to make sure people really read my thick layer of grumpyness proper, (just to be safe that no ironical hipster gets accidentally hyped enough and buys into the spiel, “ironically” or even non-ironic) :smile:

death to pr companies, death to marketing hype, viva la robolution! :bomb: :fire::robot:
:wink:

3 Likes

y y y

1 Like

“… at the very core it’s choice, it’s that you as player get to choose how you play … that in making those choices you feel you’ve been treated fairly, that no one has given an unfair advantage or dissadvantege for how they choose to play … and that for every moment that you invest you feel like you are been rewarded, and that you have given value for that investmen, and most importantly that you have fun, that we move past the grind, and that these are experiences that truly enhance your lives …”
Andrew Willson - CEO, Electronic Arts, E3 conference ~55:00min

If anything, at least they have been practicing how to word things nicely.

2 Likes

As someone who stays FAR AWAY from yearly releases I have to say that Battlefield 5 looked pretty good.

1 Like

I’m tuned in right now. I think Microsoft is already winning and they just started. Ori is looking good and if Halo is going to be on Win 10 I might have to get it. We’ll see…

2 Likes

Right off the bat, I have to say: once again, Halo will probably be s___. My faith in 343i is… nonexistent. They killed Halo, botched a remaster, then killed it again, before walking over to the Halo Wars franchise and once again botching a remaster and killing a franchise. That in no way inspires confidence or trust that they can handle the brand well. Nonetheless, the promise of 50 new titles under the Xbox label (with 15 of those being exclusives) is quite a bold claim. Don Mattrick also had this going back in 2013, but unlike back then, I think Phil Spencer’s team has the competence to actually pull off such a feat.

Now, here’s to hoping Gears of War 5 will be among that list of exclusives!

EDIT: THEY DID IT! THEY ACTUALLY DID IT!

1 Like

They are y, but i can’t see them beat Playstation once they come with their own exclusives, which blow Xbox out of the water…

1 Like

Phoenix Point will be on Game Pass, day one.

I’m buying a One ASAP, f___ it.

The conference overall was… okay. They made a ton of really cool announcements on the software side, but other than Saguki (probably got the name wrong) and Crackdown, they devoted their game-time to a lot of games I couldn’t care less about. I’ll just have to take that indie montage and play it at half speed some time tomorrow. Also, someone tell Ubisoft that they really need to work on their trailers-- if you’re going to fake it, it should at least be convincing, and the fact that the crosshair color (turns red for enemies or destructibles) was almost ALWAYS incorrect during firefights. It didn’t even feel remotely real.

Out of everything they showed, it was probably the acquisitions that caught me off guard the most, especially with Ninja Theory (the supposed “indie poster-child” after Hellblade).

They announced Gears 5, but not before a nasty Funko pop psycheout. That was probably the strangest trailer buildup I’ve ever seen. Still, good conference overall. Can’t wait for Bethesda to sour the good momentum of this year’s E3.

1 Like

“Fallout 76 will be four times bigger than Fallout 4”

Atomic bomb mind-explosion

5 Likes

(sets World-Size to 4.0)

“Why are all these buildings so large?”
“Uh, I don’t know… but 4X THE WORLD SIZE!”

(Fallout 76 title card)

6 Likes

Devil May Cry is back with it’s 5th installment, with both Dante and Nero!!!

Also hella sick new Cyberpunk 2077 trailer from CD Project red! FINALLY!!!

E3 Xbox conference. What a palette cleanser after whatever EA did yesterday.

5 Likes

@HouGuard One really great announcement for Battlefront II (woo!), one surprise announcement for Unravel 2, then a whole lotta trash… including a rather nasty Command & Conquer related surprise.

The only way they could make things worse is by making a Gears of War themed funko-pop game.

S***.

3 Likes

MS had a decent conference. They showed more KH which still looks great and the Jump trailer was pretty dope. But the highlight of it all was obviously dmc5, real strong trailer and real bad English.

2 Likes

Turned out to be a pretty solid showing. Color me impressed. There are definitely some games in there I want, but they won’t be released soon. Just waiting to see what Bethesda has now and then Digital Devolver later.

3 Likes

Can we just take a moment to talk about Phoenix Point’s day-one Game Pass release? I might actually buy a One now, like, dang.

I was trying to think of what else it was about the conference that really caught me off guard… Dying Light 2 looked amazing. Definitely keeping my eye on that one, especially if it’s just self-published/Microsoft-funded this time around instead of having WB Games to taint it.

1 Like

Literally almost fell outta my chair when Markus broke through the wall. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Can’t imagine how the Command & Conquer fans felt after their franchise got degraded to a mobile game.

Edit: Gonna get to bed now. But, i’ll be back tomorow to continue the chat. :sleeping:

2 Likes