Dead Space free on Origin

I enjoyed Dead Space 3. It was an inferior experience but I don’t regret my time with it.

4 Likes

I remember buying the Dead Space bundle on Steam during the 2016 winter sale. I was able to play the first game, but the second game gave me issues. It was telling me that I needed access to servers or some other crap. 2 or 3 hours of forum digging later, the only solution was to download Origin.

I attempted to create an account with Origin with an email that I had created 2 weeks prior. Turns out that that email was already in use at Origin. HUH???

So here I was with Dead Space 2, unable to play a game on a platform I bought it for. I went like this until last October when I said enough is enough and gave the game one more chance. It finally worked.

In short: screw Origin and EA, oh, and Steam for allowing the sale of games that cannot be played.

5 Likes

@WikiTora I can’t even imagine the amount of fans I’m about to anger here… Resident Evil 5 is one of my favorite games. Ever. Probably of all time. I’ve purchased it around five times for myself and friends alike, though strangely enough I still haven’t played Desperate Escape. It feels like a great transition for the series, since it starts off with some RE4-ish combat. It really doesn’t get any better than the Public Assembly chapter, but the first two chapters are pure Resident Evil goodness. It just kind of devolves into a crazy mess of biolabs and evil weeb scientists by the end, and having gone back to play RE1, it’s something I’ve come to love about the franchise.

RE6’s problem is that, unlike RE5, it doesn’t feel the same in progression. Leon’s campaign literally starts with shooting the president, and actually CALMS DOWN before it gets crazier… meanwhile, Chris’s campaign feels entirely like a shooter. It tries a lot of new things, but still shoehorns them all into a parallel story, and not all of those ideas work as well as they could have. I still won’t call the game bad or anything, it’s just a little lackluster next to the shining emblem of perfection that is RE5… hey, what are you-- stop laughing! I SAID STOP!

@j0hnpolar
You’re not playing the Steam version, are you? I’d make sure Dead Space 2 is unblocked in your firewall before anything. Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2, Kingdoms of Amalur, and (possibly) Crysis 2 came out when Origin games still showed up on Steam. They only require an account, not a client download. I remember when I gave my brother Dead Space 2 on Steam, he had a similar issue setting it up the first time. Your actual Origin ID will actually work, if I remember correctly… you just need one in general to register the game.

3 Likes

@CptMold What did you think of RE7 going back to their horror roots? Since it was well-received (especially by the community that had loved the originals but had grown to resent the FPS-style action-shooter the devs chose for wider appeal with 4/5/6), plus obviously updated to modern specs, standards, and runs on VR and at 4K+ resolutions beautifully, but you enjoyed the games that actively chose mass market appeal over the franchises horror roots so I’d love to know your opinion.

2 Likes

@Shalandir I think RE7 looks fantastic. I played Beginning Hour, but Denuvo’s there to ruin the day. In a perfect world, Capcom would release a huge patch that adds SteamVR support and removes Denuvo, but unfortunately it seems like that isn’t happening. I’ve avoided spoilers for an entire year, and intend to keep doing so until I can finally play it. It seems to avoid a lot of the problems that similar games in its genre [such as Alien: Isolation] had; it’s less about hiding, and more about being on the run, keeping you active the entire time and fighting your way out of situations instead of hiding under a desk for 30 minutes at a time.

I was very skeptical of the initial trailers as I had no real interest in PT, but overall Capcom impressed the crap out of me with RE7. It’s just a shame that I still can’t play it.

3 Likes

@CptMold 2 questions: 1) why can’t you play it? Denuvo DRM? It’s annoying and I hate it, but I’ve never seen it actively prevent me from playing a game… and 2) are you an actual Captain?

4 Likes

@Shalandir I’ve got a long and very bad history with Denuvo, particularly with its past incarnation (SecuROM). I don’t trust it one bit with the later-discovered rootkits and actual hardware damage SecuROM caused, and from what I’ve read online Denuvo is even more low-level and infectious. Not to mention, I’m not going to buy a game that has a chance to run as badly as Mad Max (aka one of the best ports we’ve seen all decade, running in lovely PowerPoint form as if I were emulating it from Xbox at 4K on a laptop). Even Sonic Mania runs like trash with that software. I have one computer that I foolishly allowed to get infected because I got Mad Max and MGS V as gifts and didn’t do a background check for DRM, and I won’t trust it on my other computer.

When something like Dark Souls III comes along on Humble, I’ll give it a shot as I already have an infected computer, but I don’t trust it on my main system and I certainly won’t knowingly buy a game that uses it with its hideous track record. There’s really no guarantees, either; Mad Max ran perfectly for the first few hours, and started tanking framerates right at the 2.5 hour mark (today, that would translate to “yer screwed m8” on the refund charts). What’s funny is that many Denuvo games even have Linux ports that DON’T use Denuvo. It’ll probably be how I finally play Deus Ex MD, since I’ve still got a code that came with my processor.

To answer your other question… yes. 213814th Cicada Region, I’ve been to Mars. Can confirm that Pluto is not a real planet.

6 Likes

But can you make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs?

5 Likes

I got down to 14, but my platoon assumed that I tampered with the system clock. Should’a gone Ludicrous Speed!

5 Likes

I bought the game on Steam, so I’m assuming it is the Steam version. The game still needed to connect to EA servers or something and they hadn’t quite patched it.

3 Likes

juuust reminding people this is still a thing :man_shrugging: :wink:
:smile:

5 Likes

Lol. Yeah I think they change it once every month or 2 months?

3 Likes

what the fuck is origin?

I keep seeing it on my price comparison site but thought it was just another sale site.

3 Likes

It’s EAs own store and client/DRM platform. Used to be absolutely shock full of awful but I’ve heard they’ve made it mostly acceptable by now. It’s still EA though and fuck EA so never mind.

4 Likes

eww

so its like Uplay with less pandering.

whatever free game is free game

2 Likes

Yeah, Origin has been on-point for a while. I really can’t fault them looking back, as Steam was just as painful to use back in the day. The same kind of goes for uPlay. I have to hand it for GOG to be the only guys in the room who had their client working from the start, and that’s with the pressure of trying to satisfy both their DRM-free advocates and average-joe users. Everyone else has really struggled to get a stable client going, and there’s all sorts of controversies and screw-ups for any digital retailer. Their games are another story, though… even I can’t defend Mass Effect: Andromeda and Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst… one of my friends has told me that the new Need for Speed is pretty weak as well. Titanfall 2 and Battlefront II really learned from their predecessors, though!

Back to the topic of clients, remember when Steam leaked cache info over Christmas while trying to improve their DDoS protection? How about waiting hours to “prepare” games for “Offline mode?” What about when uPlay failed to pick up on your key?

mfw everyone has assumed that I work for EVERY AAA publisher in existence with all the shilling i do

5 Likes