Crazy News Stories

Well an mmo does have a limit to how many players they can handle due to server capacity. So it makes sense to limit how many copies can be sold at any one time and only issue more licenses for sale once they’ve scaled their servers up or see a drop in player numbers. Good on them for not greedily selling access to a service beyond what they can provide, which would negatively impact the experience of everyone.

5 Likes

I’m aware of that. That is why sold out is in commas.

4 Likes

Though I guess “major corporation does not ruin their product through blind greed” is a rather crazy news story.

6 Likes
3 Likes

The tale is that if it climbs a waterfall, it becomes a dragon, so if you don’t want dragons in your home, don’t make a waterfall for your pond.

4 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

Well we’re clearly living in a cyberpunk future I’m going to need us to get going on lavishly decking everything out in neon asap.

6 Likes

I thought that’s what all the RGB computer components were for.

3 Likes
2 Likes

6 Likes

Yeah, I’ve read the comments on Downdetector. Seems like a good portion of the Internet was hit hard with this outtage. :sweat:

Thankfully everything’s working fine for now. :+1:

2 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

here I am getting my butt handed to me left and right by the game… and this guy… :scream:

7 Likes

WTF DUDE

6 Likes
3 Likes

That last one is rather interesting. I think my primary question would be, who downloads these unknown packages? On the one hand, I will admit that I by assumed a certain lack of malice in PyPI libraries. But even so, I don’t go around installing random packages. They are developed by the community, and any code developed by a human has the chance of doing something bad on accident, particularly a lone developer with a new project. Every package page tells you the project description, release history, homepage links (where you should expect to find extensive documentation), and (if it’s on GitHub, which most are) the project rating and issue tracker. So if you see a package that’s lacking in any of these areas, you should consider the project to be in the alpha stages of development. In other words, don’t install it unless you’re developing it.

Even though these wouldn’t have posed a danger to most careful users, I appreciate the wakeup call that there is indeed malicious code floating around out there, awaiting the unwary.

(Also, always be suspicious of anything anywhere claiming to generically “optimize”).

2 Likes

I don’t really know how python library packages work, but could this have been a far larger issue where these 30k downloads might be developers who’ve tried to use said libraries and included them in whatever they developed and published to unsuspecting users? Would these libraries be able to act through any software that calls on them?

Either way these sort of things is one of the many reason I never store credit card or any other sort of auto-fill information in anything. My browser does not need a record stored of my payment details, nor does your store or anyone else for that matter.

1 Like