Crazy News Stories

well, it depends on the type of person you are. I imagine he’s going to go regardless because that’s what some ppl do, and I imagine that’s the type of person he is. At least he can psychologically prepare himself for it.

There there’s other ppl who would just not go back and request (and obtain) political refugee status someplace else, and at least they are given the option to do so by receiving this warning before going back.

So I’d argue it is a definite “positive” in both cases. (though the term “positive” is obviously poorly chosen here, but hey, that’s what quotation marks are for)

3 Likes
4 Likes

that’s a thing i don’t fathom, the ridiculous unlimited spending (a/any) the president can incur through the Secret Service, and that there isn’t like some chamberlain that pulls the breaks
^to the freakin point they can actually run out of money in a fraction of the year :confounded:

4 Likes
5 Likes

inb4 people start trying to pick it apart and declare it fake/“impossibru” etc etc :joy:
tho he could ofc have preempted all that if there were input cam too

4 Likes

Ehh, I could try to do it, but I don’t care about Mario Kart, and I believe that many others that would be able to do it don’t care either. Gotta put that into account. :rofl:

5 Likes
4 Likes

gonna guess even if the pile isn’t “sorted” by now, if the drive has been laying in a landfill for 7+ years, then the hdd is probably dead beyond salvation

6 Likes

:joy:

4 Likes

I’m not going to read the article, just going to imagine they’re bots roaming around randomly attacking people with nasal swabs to test for infection. You’re going to be going about your daily work and all of a sudden there’s a quadcopter in your face stuffing a stick up your nose… and now I’m imagining them designed like face huggers.

5 Likes

Maybe. depends. Landfills are bad at actually decomposing things. However, they also likely compact the soil on top multiple times. It should not be to difficult to locate the pile it’s in from 2013 as they close them off and cap them and probably have a record of it.

So the real question is whether the platters are intact, assuming it’s a HDD. Or if a magnet was thrown away near it.

4 Likes

aside from rain and weather, which can easily ruin a hdd over that many years, you have potential “chemical” interactions going on in a landfill over time. While a hdd itself wont decompose like that as easily, depending on what stuff there is in the landfill things can ooze and combine in ways that could easily eat through a drive over time.
Not gonna default assume his trash pile was unfortunate enough to be buried under 5000 leaking batteries, but if a HDD can end up in a landfill unsorted like that, there is bound to be a chance that other non-organics made their way too for some (extra) unHDDfriendly leachate
and the potential “boiling” temperature of landfill could probably ruin the drive on its own i assume, if water didn’t ruin it in winter cycles at top layer - if the platters didn’t already “shatter” during a tumbling through trash handling
my guess is there are too many potential platter damaging factors, that even if the guy did find it, it’s “mildly” unlikely the chance of data being able to be recovered wasn’t lower than the chance of finding the drive itself

4 Likes

and let’s not forget there’s always the possibility he’s just lying out of his ass for fame, media attention, pity donations, etc.

there’s been plenty of those as well; remember balloon boy?

we do live in a crazy world

8 Likes

i don’t really think many of these bitcoin “fails” are for attention tho, give how plausible it is if not down right “common” occurrence during the youth of bitcoin practices.
i mean, a guy paid 10.000 bitcoin or something for a pizza back when people weren’t as “cautious” :no_mouth: and i’ve been told he wasn’t the only one :confounded:

6 Likes
4 Likes

article that warns you about exploit:

ironic :pensive:

PS: also love that they freakin publish an article, before it’s patched… that’s not exactly the regular procedure for stuff like this :man_facepalming: - heck as i’m reading this it’s down right insane it’s published before patching given it’s middleschooler level of attack complexity, and they are basically giving “wily” or mopey kids a blueprint to “troll” people :persevere:

6 Likes

The researcher who found the exploit warned about it in August last year giving Microsoft ample time to fix it before this article was published today. You make articles like these to push public pressure on them to fix it when they drag their feet on it. It’s been a known vulnerability for about 5 months now, it’s about time us ‘regular’ people are made aware so we can start making demands and possibly be more careful about things that carries this risk.

Although I am not sure I like that they actually published the command itself.

4 Likes

usually the articles that come out, even after reach out, are high lvl attack complexity, not something any 12yo+ can whip up at will in 2sec in any blank file
much less the way they give detailed information about it, dare i call it an instruction manual of not only how to pull it off, but make it highly effective
-meaning if that patch don’t come “real soon”, every kid with a gripe or just troll desire or even mild “hack” curiosity now have all they need to screw over “everyone” that does “anything” on the net
^that’s the part that pisses me off, because making awareness of an issue like that, doesn’t mean you have to provide a manual that’s effective for your avg emo teen just looking for a laugh

5 Likes

Yeah I agree they went a bit “above and beyond” there, not only just giving the exact details on how to use it, but also how to make it improve the delivery. That’s getting into causing problems more than solving them.

5 Likes

given the apparent ease, and criticality of the exploit, i think it’s straight up insane they did it like that… like wtf were they thinking other than max click sensationalism @_@

5 Likes