Coin shop closing down? Why

People need to realize setting up and managing a website is an expensive undertaking

No it isn’t. They are just overstaffed with people who don’t need to be there.

Its like Patreon and its 200+ employees. I’ve maintained an entire product suite while adding new features by myself.

Just look at the career page, I can’t even imagine wtf this site needs all 3 - Business Development Manager
Business Development Coordinator, Product Manager.

A single product manager would suffice.

1 Like

wow, you’re so awesome it’s weird to me they haven’t made you CEO of Apple yet

ty so much for enlightening us however

I’m sure Chrono staff is taking notes too

6 Likes

That is a failure on their end in regards to the business model.

Devs give away free keys all the time, they should be hitting up more indie devs and small timers.
They could even charge a small fee to put some keys up there because the exposure is worth a few bucks.
They should be finding regular sponsors.
A small ad to display when perusing games wouldn’t have hurt.

Losing any traffic is bad when you are in a sea of competition for attention. Staying relevant is extremely important.

Personally I stopped seeing as many chrono/gg partnerships as I did in the past. That shouldn’t have happened.

1 Like

Charging money for the privilege of letting them give you free copies of their game for exposure? I think most devs (even your aforementioned “small” ones) would just laugh at you.

4 Likes

Honestly I’m ok with this. Not saying all the coin shop games were bad or anything but if I couldn’t get them for free I probably wouldn’t have gotten them at all. I’d rather have known games at a discount if it comes at the expense of ones I’ve never heard of.

1 Like

I understand the decision to close down the coin shop. I’m sure it is quite the overhead to maintain. My frustration is that it’s getting shutdown in two weeks and I have no opportunity to cash in my 20k+ coins. Can you guys at least offer up five ( or ten) decent games so that we can get some return value on our time to come here daily and click the coin icon?

I am excited to see what new features you bring to the site. I hope it can be a win for all parties.

2 Likes

that’s exactly what they did, and not only that, but they also had 20,000 to 45,000 keys per game for those 10 games

too bad u missed it, but they did do it

9 Likes

They did and mass of people just pretty much crashed the site. So imagine how many people tried to get that free stuff.

10 Likes

It’s not just “too bad.” Think about people like me, for example, that got 95% of their coins from the keys they buy over the years, and not ever being able to use them.

1 Like

The same goes for everyone. They warned well in advance. They explained how it would go down. That’s how it went down.

It’s history now.

If anyone is interested, I do sell tickets for the maiden voyage from Southampton to New York of the Titanic though. It should totally be worth it, it’s the biggest luxury ship ever made and it’s unsinkable.

Oh, nope, just missed it.

7 Likes

Ah. So that’s why the coin disappeared.

Pretty much removed the entire point of using the site, though…

Like I just got an email telling me Imperator Rome is on sale 50% ($19.99 USD). Cool!

…oh…wait. It’s also 50% on Steam…the same site they’ll send keys for.

((Fact this is repeated with, so far, every single deal I saw; Steam had the exact same deal.))

So…what’s the point of Chrono? To me, it seems like it’s really just made for influencers. With their promo codes, that I assume reward them with money or discounts of some sort for their purchases (which would greatly help them if they wanted to do give-aways).

if that actually were the entire point of the site, they wouldn’t have survived for 6 months, and they wouldn’t remove the feature either; the fact that they’re removing it proves they simply don’t need it (and the community here was quite tired of all the complaints from ppl who only cared about free games too btw)

oh…wait, maybe it’s cuz the Steam Summer sale is on atm

Fact: if what you said here is true, you haven’t seen many daily deals here at all.

Also fact: Chrono.gg programs their daily deals well in advance and has no way of foreseeing how a game might be discounted some where else in the future.

8 Likes

I don’t think you’ve seen a lot of the deals then

5 Likes

-100000 coins :frowning:

dead site in ~2months :slight_smile:

1 Like

THAT IS LITERALLY WHAT THEY DID xD
Maybe read updates and the banners now and then, haha

4 Likes

I found this site because of the coins. But, I wasn’t coming here religiously for that, so never had enough to get any of the great games.

Sometimes they do have good deals on games. I have an extensive Steam library and am picky, so I don’t buy many games these days anyway, but I still check almost everyday, even with the coins gone.

The thing is, people abused the coin shop. It’s that simple. I’ve seen it on a certain giveaway site where as soon as a new game entered the shop, there would be users giving away 10+ copies of that same game. Co-incidence, I think not. Multi-accounters abusing this site just to get ridiculous e-peen points on another site. Chrono did the right thing. That’s just not sustainable.

12 Likes

Am I the only one who initially came here just to see what the next deal was? :thinking:

5 Likes

Pretty much.

Over 3 yrs ago I found something in my RSS feeds that mentioned “deals and coins”. Still here.:star_struck::sunglasses::heart_eyes:

6 Likes

I’m sure plenty of us showed up somewhat regularly to check the deals. Though I will admit that I didn’t do it every day before the coins nor did I actively post here before that.

4 Likes