Chrono Coins - A Super Send-Off ‘Stravaganza

wait so if we haven’t gotten anything, are we SOL?

Trying to redeem stuff that the site shows HAS stock right now doesn’t even work unfortunately - everything says contact support.

And also confused about the “30 titles” by June 29th - are they going to be adding more stock as the days pass until June 29th? Kinda sounded like that…

thanks

1 Like

Is Office Quest gone from the store? I see it at 99% but I’m not able to purchase it

2 Likes

srs, what is it with people’s reading. Are no one seriously taking into consideration games sold out and are no longer available???
when chrono made the announcement there were more games in the shop, which would total 30(?). Then, surprise, as it’s announced no more games will be added, people start to buy up the existing games, and they sell out, to where there no longer is 30(?). -today alone, 14 games sold out, with (partial) 6 remaining, so it’s probably highly likely the other 10 sold out in the last 2 weeks (before the “past games” borked today)
How is the concept of limited stock so hard for people to grasp, that there will (likely) not be maintained stock until the 29th june, but the shop would, so people could continue to buy whatever games would potentially still be in the shop until the shop closed.
Nowhere did it say chrono would maintain a stock, or resupply, throughout and to the 29th, just that the shop would be available to then… which means if the games run out, nothing to spend on even if the shop is up until the 29th

9 Likes

Yeah, never buy it full price on Steam, but at least do some research. Iconoclast is currently at its all time low price (minus coinage-free, of course) of $5.99USD at GoG. Found it on CheapShark.

4 Likes

Seeing some the posts in here i can see not much has changed in my 7 month absence.
popcorn

13 Likes

but it will soon, many of those who only ever came here to leech (by their own admission) and complain about the coin shop have publicly stated they’ll never ever come back

(I’m obviously only talking about those which I described above, and not anyone else who does not fall into that specific description or doesn’t even know about the community yet)

7 Likes

I appreciate the coins for so long, but the final games you made available we’re all pushed out at the same time, so those of us in other time zones got screwed. Despite getting up at 6am just a few hours after the release, the big games are all sold out. Again.

As my parents would say…

I’m not angry, I’m just disappointed.

2 Likes

Yes, Office Quest and any other games that are stuck at 99% Claimed for other users are already gone. The Coin Shop probably has some sort of glitch/issue that keeps certain games flagged as In-Stock that refuses to go away on its own.

I was able to get that game earlier when its stock was around 96-98% Claimed, yet it still shows up at 99% for me too (instead of being moved to the Past Games section). The only other game that had this issue for me was Mekabolt, which I had brought up in an earlier post of mine.

2 Likes

Really thought we would get some better games for the send off

1 Like

Hi, you don’t have a key for iconoclasts?

1 Like

Sorry but you’ve lost all credibility with your constant use of “cuz”.

Fact is they could have done a lot to improve things:

• Have higher cost games to slow the buying out of titles
  • Buy more copies for this final send off since it’s assumed all people hoarding coins would be getting involved too since this was the last chance.
  • Could have told everyone in advance what the games were going to be so they didn’t have to check the site to see what the games were just to pass them up. People could have done research prior to decide which games they wanted.
  • Could have staggered the release of games over the past 2 weeks to reduce load on the server so only people wanting that day’s specific title would even show up.
  • They could have staggered the licenses to refill them every few hours to give people all over the world in different time zones a chance to take part.
  • Finally they could have supplemented the free game store with the ability to get additional discounts on purchased games. IE 10,000 coins = 10% off or something like that.

There’s more that could have been done as well. My point is that it’s sad this went out with such a fizzle. Truth be told this type of insta-sell out issue was becoming more of a common problem and was only going to get worse as their popularity rose.Best for them to bow out now… sad, but whatever, I’m sure another site will pop up to take their place in this regard.

3 Likes

Yeah I got a code, still need?

2 Likes

yes, indeed

2 Likes

Over the years, they did do that.

Why? That they did this at all, and offered nice quality titles is very generous indeed. They could have simply closed and gave us the June 29th redemption time.

The Coin Shop has never worked like that. Part of the intrigue was in seeing what was new next - sort of how Humble Monthly worked before it became Choice, except of course, you give Humble real dollars.

Been suggested before but the games were a limited time offer that you either got lucky enough to snag or you didn’t. For instance, the last Moons of Madness giveaway that I missed because I didn’t do the task the same night. Wishlist item and I missed it. Sad, but happens.

That’d either giving the staff more on their work load or a might interesting algorithm. Either way, that’s a lot of implementation for what is specifically a last hurrah and act of generosity by the site.

On the surface, that’s not a bad idea. It’d be a way to reward customers for loyally logging into the site. However, spinning the coin daily wasn’t exactly a show of loyalty. ( See all the post above with people saying they’ll leave now that the Coin Shop is closing). So how exactly, does Chrono as a store, a business seeking to make profit like any other, benefit from putting additional discounts on top of deals that are usually either a historical low, or equal the last historically low price elsewhere?

Who knows? Maybe you’ll find one. I’m staying because I love the community here and the staff is considerate and try to be quick with queries and concerns from us as customers.

Wish you the best and perhaps if you don’t already, try following the doings of EGS - their freebies are up for 1 week at a time, and I’ve not hear about them running out licenses to give out. I try not to think about what their budget must look like. O_o Generosity is expensive for the giver.

5 Likes

yeah, it’s not like they already buy 20,000 to 45,000 of them [confirmed number for 2 weeks ago, ballpark]

in fact, they should’ve just spent all the available money on free keys for the whole world and feed Africa as well and then just declare bankruptcy

as long as you would’ve gotten the keys you wanted, they would’ve done the right thing, but that didn’t happen, so here we are…

makes me wonder about everything you could have done but didn’t, but hey, now I’m going off topic, right? after all, we’re just here to throw stones at ppl who dared giving stuff for free but somehow failed to make everyone happy

I see you’re already replying, and that’s fine, but pls note that I won’t be continuing this conversation, hf

5 Likes

2 Likes

Danacscott: Over the years, they did do that.

• Yes over the years they did raise the costs but eventually stopped rather than continue. Also we’re talking about a way to have handled this last sale not how they should have been handling things all along.

Danacscott: Why? That they did this at all, and offered nice quality titles is very generous indeed. They could have simply closed and gave us the June 29th redemption time.

• They certainly could have just closed. But if the plan is to retain people then it’s in their best interest to keep people happy at this time, not to leave them with a bitter taste in their mouth. How a business chooses to handle these types of things tends to reflect how they will act as a business in the future. If they just dropped it without notice, what sort of precedent would that be setting for people to trust them as a store?

Danacscott: The Coin Shop has never worked like that. Part of the intrigue was in seeing what was new next - sort of how Humble Monthly worked before it became Choice, except of course, you give Humble real dollars.

• That argument isn’t valid. We’re talking about how this send off could have been tweaked. The M.O. of this store was to only release 2 free games every 2 weeks - not 5. If they were willing to change things for the last month to offer 5 why couldn’t they have changed the formula of informing people in advance?

Danacscott: Been suggested before but the games were a limited time offer that you either got lucky enough to snag or you didn’t. For instance, the last Moons of Madness giveaway that I missed because I didn’t do the task the same night. Wishlist item and I missed it. Sad, but happens.

• This was always a debate for the platform and was ultimately one of the reasons I’m sure they decided to shut it down. Because they weren’t able to satisfy enough people. Again, not something that should have been implemented all along but during this last sale it should have been considered that they acquire a larger number of licenses knowing full well how many additional people would be taking advantage just to use their coins.

Danacscott: That’d either giving the staff more on their work load or a might interesting algorithm. Either way, that’s a lot of implementation for what is specifically a last hurrah and act of generosity by the site.

• Debatable that staggering licenses or refilling them would not be a larger workload for staff. Unless the system was created very poorly. They had done refilling licenses before and it didn’t seem to be an impossible task. Again with this one-time send off the extra work would have been warranted considering the work-load for this portion of the site goes to exactly zero once it is shut down.

Danacscott: On the surface, that’s not a bad idea. It’d be a way to reward customers for loyally logging into the site. However, spinning the coin daily wasn’t exactly a show of loyalty. ( See all the post above with people saying they’ll leave now that the Coin Shop is closing). So how exactly, does Chrono as a store, a business seeking to make profit like any other, benefit from putting additional discounts on top of deals that are usually either a historical low, or equal the last historically low price elsewhere?

• How to grow the Chrono business is the secret sauce that separates the truly skilled in business from the wannabes trying to play with the big boys lol There are several solutions to this that I won’t go into detail here since I have no skin in the game. But as one simple marketing strategy - why not reduce the discount for their daily deal a bit and only allow people to access the maximum discount by using coins?

Danacscott: Who knows? Maybe you’ll find one. I’m staying because I love the community here and the staff is considerate and try to be quick with queries and concerns from us as customers.

• I’m not saying I’m going to leave forever and not come back. I like being able to discover games on this site that I might not have known about before. The free games was a nice perk to get initial viral traffic but now they need to pivot if they want to stand a chance in this highly competitive market. It will be interesting to see if they manage to pull it off, or if they fade into the background.

Thanks for the response.

4 Likes

Can you cite the source? Seems dubious, but if that’s the case they should have shut this down a long time ago… And clearly I’m in the wrong business. If they could afford blowing $20,000 - $90,000 every 2 weeks (assuming $1-$2 a game) on games to give away they must have been making an absolute KILLING in profit! (or raking up an unbelievable sum of debt).

2 Likes

I am the source. Source: I work for Chrono.

9 Likes

as the raccoon said, was just about to say he works here and can validate

3 Likes