Chrono Coins - A Super Send-Off ‘Stravaganza

Over the years, they did do that.

Why? That they did this at all, and offered nice quality titles is very generous indeed. They could have simply closed and gave us the June 29th redemption time.

The Coin Shop has never worked like that. Part of the intrigue was in seeing what was new next - sort of how Humble Monthly worked before it became Choice, except of course, you give Humble real dollars.

Been suggested before but the games were a limited time offer that you either got lucky enough to snag or you didn’t. For instance, the last Moons of Madness giveaway that I missed because I didn’t do the task the same night. Wishlist item and I missed it. Sad, but happens.

That’d either giving the staff more on their work load or a might interesting algorithm. Either way, that’s a lot of implementation for what is specifically a last hurrah and act of generosity by the site.

On the surface, that’s not a bad idea. It’d be a way to reward customers for loyally logging into the site. However, spinning the coin daily wasn’t exactly a show of loyalty. ( See all the post above with people saying they’ll leave now that the Coin Shop is closing). So how exactly, does Chrono as a store, a business seeking to make profit like any other, benefit from putting additional discounts on top of deals that are usually either a historical low, or equal the last historically low price elsewhere?

Who knows? Maybe you’ll find one. I’m staying because I love the community here and the staff is considerate and try to be quick with queries and concerns from us as customers.

Wish you the best and perhaps if you don’t already, try following the doings of EGS - their freebies are up for 1 week at a time, and I’ve not hear about them running out licenses to give out. I try not to think about what their budget must look like. O_o Generosity is expensive for the giver.

5 Likes

yeah, it’s not like they already buy 20,000 to 45,000 of them [confirmed number for 2 weeks ago, ballpark]

in fact, they should’ve just spent all the available money on free keys for the whole world and feed Africa as well and then just declare bankruptcy

as long as you would’ve gotten the keys you wanted, they would’ve done the right thing, but that didn’t happen, so here we are…

makes me wonder about everything you could have done but didn’t, but hey, now I’m going off topic, right? after all, we’re just here to throw stones at ppl who dared giving stuff for free but somehow failed to make everyone happy

I see you’re already replying, and that’s fine, but pls note that I won’t be continuing this conversation, hf

5 Likes

2 Likes

Danacscott: Over the years, they did do that.

• Yes over the years they did raise the costs but eventually stopped rather than continue. Also we’re talking about a way to have handled this last sale not how they should have been handling things all along.

Danacscott: Why? That they did this at all, and offered nice quality titles is very generous indeed. They could have simply closed and gave us the June 29th redemption time.

• They certainly could have just closed. But if the plan is to retain people then it’s in their best interest to keep people happy at this time, not to leave them with a bitter taste in their mouth. How a business chooses to handle these types of things tends to reflect how they will act as a business in the future. If they just dropped it without notice, what sort of precedent would that be setting for people to trust them as a store?

Danacscott: The Coin Shop has never worked like that. Part of the intrigue was in seeing what was new next - sort of how Humble Monthly worked before it became Choice, except of course, you give Humble real dollars.

• That argument isn’t valid. We’re talking about how this send off could have been tweaked. The M.O. of this store was to only release 2 free games every 2 weeks - not 5. If they were willing to change things for the last month to offer 5 why couldn’t they have changed the formula of informing people in advance?

Danacscott: Been suggested before but the games were a limited time offer that you either got lucky enough to snag or you didn’t. For instance, the last Moons of Madness giveaway that I missed because I didn’t do the task the same night. Wishlist item and I missed it. Sad, but happens.

• This was always a debate for the platform and was ultimately one of the reasons I’m sure they decided to shut it down. Because they weren’t able to satisfy enough people. Again, not something that should have been implemented all along but during this last sale it should have been considered that they acquire a larger number of licenses knowing full well how many additional people would be taking advantage just to use their coins.

Danacscott: That’d either giving the staff more on their work load or a might interesting algorithm. Either way, that’s a lot of implementation for what is specifically a last hurrah and act of generosity by the site.

• Debatable that staggering licenses or refilling them would not be a larger workload for staff. Unless the system was created very poorly. They had done refilling licenses before and it didn’t seem to be an impossible task. Again with this one-time send off the extra work would have been warranted considering the work-load for this portion of the site goes to exactly zero once it is shut down.

Danacscott: On the surface, that’s not a bad idea. It’d be a way to reward customers for loyally logging into the site. However, spinning the coin daily wasn’t exactly a show of loyalty. ( See all the post above with people saying they’ll leave now that the Coin Shop is closing). So how exactly, does Chrono as a store, a business seeking to make profit like any other, benefit from putting additional discounts on top of deals that are usually either a historical low, or equal the last historically low price elsewhere?

• How to grow the Chrono business is the secret sauce that separates the truly skilled in business from the wannabes trying to play with the big boys lol There are several solutions to this that I won’t go into detail here since I have no skin in the game. But as one simple marketing strategy - why not reduce the discount for their daily deal a bit and only allow people to access the maximum discount by using coins?

Danacscott: Who knows? Maybe you’ll find one. I’m staying because I love the community here and the staff is considerate and try to be quick with queries and concerns from us as customers.

• I’m not saying I’m going to leave forever and not come back. I like being able to discover games on this site that I might not have known about before. The free games was a nice perk to get initial viral traffic but now they need to pivot if they want to stand a chance in this highly competitive market. It will be interesting to see if they manage to pull it off, or if they fade into the background.

Thanks for the response.

4 Likes

Can you cite the source? Seems dubious, but if that’s the case they should have shut this down a long time ago… And clearly I’m in the wrong business. If they could afford blowing $20,000 - $90,000 every 2 weeks (assuming $1-$2 a game) on games to give away they must have been making an absolute KILLING in profit! (or raking up an unbelievable sum of debt).

2 Likes

I am the source. Source: I work for Chrono.

9 Likes

as the raccoon said, was just about to say he works here and can validate

3 Likes

Wow… well I stand corrected on the “acquire more licenses” thing. From the speed at which they go you’d think they only had a couple hundred licenses.

Thanks for citing that source though. I’m absolutely blown away by those numbers…

7 Likes

We experienced some incredible traffic today, many people were spamming the refresh button on the coin shop store page to see when the new coin games. One (fun for some) stat: in the first sixty seconds of Iconoclasts going live in the coin shop more than 1.000+ keys were already redeemed of that particular title.

15 Likes

Great the thread is full of both people upset about not being able to get “free” games and people being snarky towards those people that are upset, You’re both as bad as each other.

But I understand both sides, I didn’t need to come to the site I can see the deals on Chrono through other websites so yes me coming directly to the site was just for getting coins and I have over 65,000 that will go unused, So yes I’m disappointed the last 5 games were put up and out of stock well before I even woke up today but on the other hand you have to appreciate that it happened in the first place and I got some pretty good games along the way.

Closing thoughts, don’t be snarky towards people currently upset it’s valid in my opinion just let them vent, as for the people that are upset try to appreciate what the site has given you so far.

6 Likes

Is that the fastest outflow in the first 60 seconds ever?

4 Likes

Not sure, I’ll have to dive into it!

5 Likes

I know you are busy with other things, this was just me being curious. Please don’t dive through boatloads of old data just for my curiosity. I am sure you have family members who want you home for dinner sooner. I thought maybe you would have a general idea! :zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes

pretty sure he’s working from home in the Netherlands actually

3 Likes

I forgot that he’s the only overseas member of the team…

@RaccoonV, go play some games or go to sleep! Those are more important than digging through old piles of data!

3 Likes

2:10AM here now. Watching some Dutch stand-up comedy. Need to stay up late tonight so I don’t have to go ‘‘supping’’ with my girlfriend tomorrow. (I never even tried standing one one of those things)

I have to make a valid excuse that it was late and that I can’t go in the early morning.

6 Likes

Please enlighten me.

2 Likes

4 Likes

That actually looks like fun, but definitely something I would only want to do on my own agenda… haha!

2 Likes

… Valid? Disappointment, been there. I can understand that. Missed Dead Cells, Yono and a whole bunch of games that were either before my time here or days when I was late for the reveal. I find it ungrateful when people speak as though their disappointment, entitles them to take potshots at Chrono and say that Chrono didn’t do this send off ‘right’. Remember how many keys they acquired for this, that we potentially got for free?

I don’t think people should be snarky either, but some people on this forum just have that tone. I’ve been here, in the forums, getting used to different personalities long enough, to know that from some users, you really shouldn’t take things too personally.

Please also note that the snarky ones are dedicated forum members who are here everyday to chat, share events and knowledge, joke around together and even yes, do giveaways. Most of the people being upset aren’t even ones any of the regulars or semi-regulars have seen before the announcement of the Coin Shop close. Their sudden vocalness is jarring and yes, annoying. Some of us take it on as politely as we can; others have been snarky. No denying that.

Yes, I wish they would too.

6 Likes