Assassin's Creed Unity free on uplay

There was a fire on Monday that caused serious damage, caused by an electrical fault. The spire fell before they controlled the flames.

The good news is it’s structurally intact, and the relics were all saved.

4 Likes

Nice try Ubisoft! Not going to install uPlay still.

1 Like

Installing right now. I’ve already played the game on console and I must say that the representation of the Cathedral was stunning, now I want to see it again, on PC. Hopefully, in the future, in real life :slight_smile:

A similar accident happened to a theater here in Italy, Teatro La Fenice (that translates in The Pheonix Theater, pretty ominous). Years after the fire, it was reborn.

2 Likes

Thanks!!

1 Like

I’m actually a little surprised that a company gives away a game for free, and donates to the cause, and they still get backlash…oh Ubisoft! Bleugh…

Also, Uplay is not that bad…plus you can pretty much earn a discount on their storefront by playing games…

3 Likes

This is what you get for being one of the scummiest publishers for many many years :wink: People do not forget.

2 Likes

It’s also not that uncommon for people to discount singular charitable actions tied to a disaster when taken by large corporations as it often tends to come off as a PR stunt rather than actual compassion or desire to help.

But I suppose it comes down to the age old question, is it still charity if you give a homeless person a burger if you film yourself doing it for youtube?

3 Likes

That’s still a voluntary act of giving…it may not be altruistic but both parties benefit. Surely it’d be worse if that homeless person went hungry?

4 Likes

i think Ubisoft being french and all that that this “genuine”, in the sense of them being touched by french national emotions and all that
I’m guessing this because even in my tiny country people got upset/“stirred” by just the (literal) defacing of a statue, so i’m not taking it as that much of a surprise that heads of Ubi have determined to make a contribution, among others
(and it’s always good to make a real charitable donation, (probably good for a tax write-off too), that then has the upside of “good PR” :smile:)

8 Likes

Even a homeless person may still have some dignity they would like to preserve, the unbidden youtuber charity that puts them in view of a few mil people may very well be something they wouldn’t want for the price of a mere burger.

If the youtuber went ahead and donated the revenue from such a video to homeless shelters then I would call that charity.

Otherwise the burger is just a business expense and the homeless person a very poorly paid collaborator.

2 Likes

So they can say no? And besides in that instance they’d probably have a legal claim to profits made.

At the end of the day Ubisoft is no different from many of the other donaters and if they’re going to be criticised for not giving and criticised if they do, how exactly do they make a choice that pleases anyone?

3 Likes

You never ever will. So don’t try, do what you think is the right thing and that’s all any of us can ever do. Other people can and will try to inject their own ideas or motives into your words or actions based on what they want to see from you. This goes for corporate entities and people alike.

3 Likes

not to mention that some of the ppl working on these projects obviously are completely obsessed with history to begin with, and then there’s the fact that the French ppl are something else when it comes to their heritage as well, I’m not saying there’s no other peoples like them, but not too many are on that level of love/patriotism/nationalism/chauvinism as they are.

This does not surprise me at all.

anyway, the main point is F Konami, F Ubisoft, F EA, F Epic, F all those companies and others forever, regardless of whatever good they might ever do, and let’s just all interpret everything they do in the worst possible way whenever they do it

and @xist should burn at the stake for the unapologetic shill he is

just from the amount of detail they put in recreating these symbols of history it should be obvious that some of the ppl developing those games are absolutely passionate and in love with what they do, regardless of the corporate side of things, so this seems like a natural step for them imo.

4 Likes

Damned if u do, damned if u don’t.

meh, i’m rly salty today

3 Likes

Oh, somebody actually expecting that. It’s done, I just didn’t post it because it really wasn’t the roast I said it would be.

2 Likes

Jesus Christ, @onLooSe what did Ubisoft do to you to earn all the persistent hate?

I read yesterday, that they had a person living next to the cathedral and studying it every day for an extended period of time, to get it exactly right, in every detail possible. Sure there are architectural documents and studies about it, but what damage does it do that they offer their work to help in the reconstruction?
There is no need to shit on them. They donated to the cause, offer their material they gathered about the building, and are giving away the game for free so everyone can experience digitally what is now lost to the flames.
Chill the F out, man.

2 Likes

How I wasn’t chill? I do architecture… I say bullshit when I see it in what I know stuff about. Somehow me saying that a person that doesn’t understand anything about buildings is not trustworthy compared to people that do that for a living is me equal to an ass?
At some level I really hope Ubisoft manages to provide actual assistance and splatter a ubisoft neon sign on top of the cathedral as well :smiley:

I actually have a highschool buddy of mine that works for Ubisoft, so I know pretty well how they operate, but that’s another story. You might try to remove your rainbow little pony glasses for a sec and consider this is just a stupid commercial move as well. Just chill, it’s all business :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I guess I can say the poster on my wall isn’t pointless now.

do u know that for a fact though? I have no clue, but what if she’s an actual architect? That wouldn’t be impossible either.

if she is an actual architect and doing that for Ubisoft and for a living at the same time my take on the matter is the least issue :smiley:

Of course they would have promoted better if she had any job experience tied to construction … how stupid are they if they don’t mention anything like this? When you go all in… you go all in.

2 Likes