Announcing @hivefleetbothan ‘s Amazing Ant Giveaway! [ENDED]

where is that image from?

5 Likes

That is the villain from Fallout 3, in the quest the Superhuman gambit (she has fire ant powers)

6 Likes

yeah what @hivefleetbothan said :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

I’d like to enter for Garry’s Mod, Orcs Must Die! 2 , thanks for making this GA :stuck_out_tongue:

my ant Paraponera clavata

7 Likes

lol.

5 Likes

I want to enter for all the steam ones…Boy ol boy HIVE Man yu have got people interested in ants…ants , …ants…////////

5 Likes

Make sure you show your interest in ants to be entered!

EDIT: Also, ants are amazing… See everyone is a secret ant nerd, all you have to do is start talking about ants.

No matter your interest in life, be it philosophy, computing, engineering, chemistry (Ima stop naming sciences now), fantasy worlds made up by English professors, archeology, paleontology (drat I am back in sciences), cooking, cleaning, gardening or whatever ants are in some way shape or form inherently tied to so much of what we as people find fascinating about the things we love.
Ants communicate, they wage war, they love, they fight tooth and claw for what they have and do so in so many different ways and with such elaborate systems you can’t help but be enchanted by just how much is out there… And what only makes it better is just how little we know about ants, so many species are known by picture alone, we know nothing about how they interact with the world or what makes them truly different from other ants.
In the handbook I reffered to in the announcement of the games, Fisher and Cover (2 tremendously well respected and dare I say, famous/influential taxonomists who have made enormous contributions to ant classification) have entire genera that have less than 2 sentences in their sections of ‘Ecology/Distribution’ and much of that is restricted to discussions of distributions… Similarly, many species accounts are simply: we found it here…
In fact, some species are known from only a single specimen collected once, or noted once and that is it… And I don’t even mean species of ant found in the depths of the rainforest or atop the peaks of a Tibetan mountain (though species of such exotic rarity do exist), I mean ants that exist in natural areas in the United States, in populated (typically rural but sometimes urban) areas. Army ants in Florida, for example, are known from pitfall traps in URBAN areas, and NOBODY knows where the heck they are coming from, what they are experiencing or what’s going on inside their colonies. It’s bananas, that in a nation we consider so overdeveloped as to have no ‘blank spaces’ in the map, no frontiers to explore, no surprises left there is such a huge frontier of discovery right outside every backdoor, in every park and right underfoot (if you are outside mathematically speaking, there is a good chance you are near a life form that is hardly even understood at a basic level).

9 Likes

I forgot to include a post detailing the deadline so I will give interested parties another 24 hours to enter, make sure that your entry includes both the games you want to enter for and the required picture of an ant… Calling out to @persistnt in particular on that one.

Discobot will decide the winners in this thread in 24 hours.

8 Likes

pavement ants can clean the streets…Then after yu send in the people to make sidewalk chalk art…image

5 Likes

Congr-“ant”-ulations on a f-“ant”-astic giveaway so far, @hivefleetbothan ! I have been fascinated with :ant: ants :ant: since a particular incident occurred in my childhood, spawning an unfinished comic and a pair of cute plush doll ants that I have kept in my drawer at home ever since. As soon as I saw this topic on the Community homepage, I knew I had to contribute with at least an image or two, regardless of the giveaway was still going on or not.

We have needed an “insect/arachnid” thread in this community for far too long :raised_hands: !

Anyways, here’s my little ant friend to show n’ tell:
Dinoponera australis , known as the “Giant of the Andes” (or arguably, the entire world) with its worker ants, which can grow to be as large as 3cm in diameter, marching through large swaths of South America, primarily Chile and Peru. It may not be as renowned outside entomological circles as the more famous Paraponera clavata, or “bullet ant” (the ACTUAL genus and species, NOT what @mandLUL posted … unfortunately), but with mandibles to rival those of the trap jaws and an unmatched behavioral predisposition to territorial aggression, you definitely don’t want to “mess with this bugger” !

EDIT: Yay, I got the the image above to appear, but here’s a cool up-close-and-personal headshot instead of another relatively obscure ant species, Polyergus samurai, which is largely native to Japan like its anthropomorphic namesake of bushido .

Enjoy!

While I am at it, I would like to enter the giveaways for the following games, which I WILL list out (unlike @Vindace :wink: :wink: )

• Garry’s Mod
  • Orcs Must Die! 2
  • Hitman: Absolution
  • Gunpoint
  • Puzzle Agent
  • Spec Ops The Line
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Kingdom: New Lands
5 Likes

LOL :joy:, @persistnt ! I know some ant species like their dew drops, but “STREET cleaner” ants ?! That almost sounds more absurd than the old wives’ tale of faeries painting the grass with dew each morning from their “circles”.

3 Likes

Roseetteo I think the real answer is in the middle of us…If yu like can google these Pavement ants and New York city…They show the ants eating green leaves…

4 Likes
4 Likes

While I am at it, I would like to enter the giveaways for the following games, which I WILL list out (unlike Vindace :wink: :wink: )

You know what?..
I actually don’t have good response for
That. :no_mouth:

Way to call me out Rosetto. :roll_eyes::sweat_smile:

5 Likes

They manly get in my jam.

6 Likes

Sorry for the delay everyone i have been without internet connection, but the situation has almost abated. By the way everyone has done an excellent job finding unique and interesting things to share. Best of luck to all of you.

6 Likes

did the ants chew through your cables?

8 Likes

\W/estworld asked an important question, one we never got an answer to.

Do ants eat you from the inside out by crawling up your arse? @hivefleetbothan this needs answering.

5 Likes

y, now that the question has been presented, i wanna know too; this is what science was invented for

5 Likes

hmmmm… So in my expert opinion, ants eat with a focus on high energy things… The ants should focus on the most valuable parts, those big investments, eyes, ears, brain, liver, tongue and muscles… The order should be Head then upwards across the body slowly hollowing out the body.

However, ants spread out and explore the area… so there is only one way to test it… I need a test subject.

6 Likes