Announcing @hivefleetbothan ‘s Amazing Ant Giveaway! [ENDED]

@hivefleetbothan ‘s Amazing Ant Giveaway!
So, I have shown pictures of my ants, we have talked about ants… And now it is time for… The Amazing Ant giveaway! Let me just read through my notes for this giveaway.

In 300 words or less explain why biology is the best. Winners will need to send a valid street address so I can… Wait, its illegal to send queen ants via post? especially if they are the invasive and aggressive Solenopsis invicta? Whoops, I guess I have some explaining to do down at my local post office… Should have read through these documents before doing a trial run. But I had all these cool ant facts, not to mention these hundred or so vials of queen ants I was going to ship around the world so novice hobbyists could try their hand at… Oh, see now I get why that’s illegal…

Huh, I still created a topic?

People are reading this?

Well shoot. Ahem

Announcing @hivefleetbothan 's Amazing Ant Giveaway. I am throwing my insect covered hat into the giveaway ring by running a giveaway of my very own! Prominently featuring the greatest things on this planet: ants…

requirements are as follows:

1. Participating Accounts (hereafter Participants) must be at least 1 week old by the official announcement of the giveaway (So if you joined after May 5th, 2018 sorry about that).
  2. Participants must have 5 badges to qualify.
  3. Participants must wait until I have actually posted the games of the giveaway to enter (I haven’t announced the games yet since I am still trying to figure out what to do with these ants I have) EDIT: Games are announced below, so follow the instructions to qualify.

The Games will be posted officially in about 3 hours…

33 Likes

Am watching this thread and you :3
Also I fully read the thread :sunglasses:

11 Likes

thanks for this :slight_smile:

10 Likes

While we wait…Here is a song for your listening pleasure:

Yes, I watched this as a child…

15 Likes

If there’s no SimAnt in this giveaway I’m calling it a phony.

15 Likes

Bio is great because you get to learn about the various parts of many different insects also how can you not like nature, it’s gorgeous definitely worth it.

8 Likes

I did read all of it :nerd_face:

7 Likes

Thanks for the giveaway man, here’s a chanel about antkeeping ^^

6 Likes

Man, I’m all about nature and there surely are a ton of cool insects, but writing “I believe ants are the most amazing creatures on the planet” is extremely shortsighted and makes me wanna avoid that channel rofl
People acting like humans weren’t animals or part a part of nature is also funny.

7 Likes

Yeah hahaha agreed, It’s a cool chanel tho :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Aw man, if that game showed up on steam I would freaking love it. I still own my copy of simant in a pile at my house…

Unfortunately I only have the one copy… and it is mine

9 Likes

There has been attempts:

and

7 Likes

Personally I’m also reminded of Image and Form’s Anthill -

8 Likes

Alrighty, without further ado here’s the real giveaway:
There are so many diverse and fascinating games out there in the world today, just like how many fascinating ants exist! So let us celebrate their diversity with a giveaway, inspired by the millions and millions of militaristic, xenophobic and expansive critters that this crazy person keeps in a closet.
Discothyrea: The Pygmy egg-eating ants: Strange, almost alien looking, and referred to as ‘Discos’ within the ant community (See Fisher & Cover’s Ants of North America: a guide to genera). These are subterranean brood thieves. For this otherworldly ant, we have an otherworldly game. Strange, odd, almost alien but beloved nonetheless: Garry’s Mod.

Oecophylla: Weaver Ants: When it comes to creating and holding territories, no ant can compete with the arboreal weaver ant, warding off all comers from the trees they claim as theirs. Weaver ants engage in warfare constantly with those around them, and with millions of ants spread across hundreds of nests they hold borders across multiple trees, making them more like nations than a single colony. Take on the role of a nation, and become the most prosperous and most successful in Crusader Kings 2 to celebrate the success of the weaver ant.

Neivamyrmex: The New World Army Ants: Army ants are one of the most amazing wonders in the natural world, a living tide of death and destruction, scouring the earth clean. Unfortunately, because army ants are sometimes so blind to their own orders, they march in an endless ‘circle of death’ from which there can be no escape (pictured above). Reflect on this while you play Spec Op’s The Line.

Cephalotes: Turtle ants: Defense! Defense! Defense! Turtle ants are incredible little doorstops, preventing anything from entering their nests. You too can protect your home from those who would seek to destroy it in Orcs Must Die 2.

Pheidole: Big headed ants: Pheidole has two kinds of ants, minors and majors. Minors are in charge of basic nest maintenance and construction, while the majors are in charge of defense. In the spirit of dividing labor, we bring you: Kingdom New Lands, where you (as royalty) assign peasants to either protect or build.

Prenolepis: Fat belly Ants: Though the sun may always shine here, I must always be true to my ice-encrusted homeland. These ants keep some workers stuffed to the gills with food, forming ‘repletes’ allowing them to forage even during the winter. These repletes just sit around waiting for another ant to come by that needs food. You too can keep yourself active and avoid hypothermia by solving some interesting puzzles among the freezing tundra, plus enjoy the unique hospitality of people sitting around waiting to feed you that is Minnesota nice: Puzzle Agent.

Odontomachus: Trapjaw-ants: Predatory ants that have been honed by evolution into the perfect ambush killers, sneaking up to their unaware prey, then with a speed that cannot be matched in nature, they launch their assault. Hitman-Absolution-Elite Edition lets you exercise a similar level of perfected killing machine instinct, sneak up and catch them unawares or destroy everything.

Solenopsis: Thief ants: Although famously containing the Red imported Fire ant, the genus Solenopsis contains a tremendous diversity of small soil dwelling ants that steal brood from other ants, sneaking around invisible to others in the soil, then breaking into the nests and making off with the goods. To celebrate this, take the breaking and entering game: Gunpoint.

Now to enter for one (or more) of these games, I ask for you to include a picture of an ant (other than those included here) you think looks really interesting!

Winners will be chosen by discobot in 3 days.
In case you didn’t notice, the shtick is that the ants are similar to the game being given away.

23 Likes

I would like to enter for New Lands and Garry’s Mod and this ant is interesting to me i couldn’t get the picture see here is the website the picture you will see is when you scroll down a little Website

8 Likes

Most likely to appear on GOG than Steam, because GOG is the oldschool boy.

6 Likes

Nice giveaway @hivefleetbothan! I love how you tied each game to a specific ant :+1:

I’ll enter for Prenolepis (Puzzle Agent). I kind of regret not buying that bundle.
Btw, how cool are those ants? Just hanging around waiting to give you some food. They’re like the grandmother of insect world :joy:

I defy anyone to find an ant more interesting cuter than this:

Thistledown Velvet Ant

10 Likes

:thinking:

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: :rofl:

PS. awesome thing you’re doing here Mr Antman/@hivefleetbothan :hugs: :blush:
very nice games you got there, kudos, :clap: :+1: really appreciate you doing this :trophy:
best to you, and all the participants,
-and yay ant pics!

PPS. something i stumbled upon when looking for the image of princess Dot, awesome ant clickbait:

9 Likes

Thanks for this fun and interesting giveaway @hivefleetbothan
I actually have every single title given away so here’s a zombie ant for this dead entry.

7 Likes

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone happy this could be interesting for everyone!
@Hello646 Interesting that you would link to bird conservation, cause it is one of the biggest impacts that ant invasion can have. Crazy to think about how ants can endanger birds (especially birds hundreds of times their size)

Although they are adorable, Velvet ants are actually wasps… Just to nitpick. It still counts as an entry of course, but just an FYI Velvet ants are a parasitic wasp that enters into ant nests and lay eggs there.

8 Likes