You're offered one and a quarter million dollars but....

…you can never use the internet in any form ever again. No instant messaging apps on your phone, no email, no youtube…nothing.

Do you take it?

10 Likes

No cuz i could never play Garfield kart ever again

10 Likes

Why not? If it’s on your PC now then you’re good? (unless it’s always online? Or has no single player?)

6 Likes

With 1.25 million I could fund my own version of the internet! Or I could hire people to post/read stuff on the internet for me.

6 Likes

I suppose I can’t think of a reason why this isn’t viable…

6 Likes

I’m ok playing single player, sure.

*grabs collection of old games*

9 Likes

To answer your question seriously, probably not. So much of my entertainment/education relies on the internet. Most of my music/video games/movies are downloaded or streamed through the internet. Hell, I couldn’t even play a lot of modern video games either because of DRM schemes or having to download updates (unless I really wanted to play inferior versions of those games). I’d have to stick to older, physical media, which might either be deteriorated or impossible to find without the internet.

5 Likes

afhbgv

Providing I get to keep all the stuff currently on my HDD’s

7 Likes

You do, but if they fail you’re stuffed.

4 Likes

I cannot transfer to new hardware??!?!?

I should have read the fine print :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

considering i accidentally wiped my entire gd dang game library/drive recently :grimacing:, i’d probably have to say no to that :confounded:

6 Likes

You can, but sooner or later everything fails…

5 Likes

Ubisoft never fails to disappoint.

RhIv

7 Likes

Of course!

Rules are meant to be broken. I would take the money first, then forget about ever agreeing to not go online. :wink:

9 Likes

That’ll be a hard pass. Away goes easy banking access, my influx of new music, finding out about new good games, researching prices, buying off Amazon, chatting with people thousands of miles away, etc.

And for the kicker: 1.25million isn’t really a lot of money.

8 Likes

This.

I can’t speak for others, but where I live plenty of bureaucracy is handled via internet.

Not being able to go online in the 21st century does not mean just abiding from online games, in many places and to many people it also means not paying the bills.

Big no from me.

Counter question: what prompted you to ask the question?

9 Likes

I’ll miss all of the dank memes but I could live a dope ass Amish lifestyle. Also, I could just hire someone to print out all of the funny memes and deliver them to me monthly in a sealed envelope that I’ll have to hide from my future Amish wife and children. It will make for a very interesting argument if my secret is ever discovered.

6 Likes

The UK government often asks the public questions via a site called YouGov (so of late there have been many questions about how I’d vote in an election and what I feel about Brexit). Towards the end of them they often ask more frivolous opinion based questions, and this was one of them. That’s why it’s 1.25 million dollars, because that’s more or less 1 million GBP. For the curious I would turn the offer down…can’t live without seeing cats do funny stuff on the internet.

8 Likes

Please see my post for a solution to your problem. Enjoy your 1 million GBP.

4 Likes

I also think its impossible to take the money because as more and more services and items move to Internet Connectivity, older technologies will be phased out. It’s harder and harder to go into places to pay with cash.

Cards use internet.
All new cars have internet.
Microchips in your pets use the internet.

The premise isn’t just that you cant surf the internet, but that you cant use the internet in any way. And everything is connected now.

7 Likes