What's the reasonable price for a motherboard?

So… so… so.

I’m planning to get new CPU but in order to do that i will need to get new motherboard because of the sockets. I’m not looking for a specific motherboard for now but it’s one part of the PC i really do not have a clue of how much should one cost.

Im not looking for anything fancy or high-end but something middle of the road.

6 Likes

$100 USD - $130 USD usually. Sometimes they go on sale for slightly less.

3 Likes

$130-140 range if you want something that won’t die very quickly from heat or poor quality (especially if you go low brand), as in has good components on it, such as capacitors and vram coolers. $150 if you want it to survive for sure more than 5 years.

If you are patient, you can score good motherboards on great sales. Such as $180 mobos on a sale around $130 and such. The new line is coming out, so I suspect many boards will be hitting clearance and whatnot.

3 Likes

Thanks for making this topic, makes me wonder what deals i can get. Thanks <3

1 Like

What CPU are you getting? Depends what features you want really…if you want Wifi built into the board that’s going to cost more, and better cooling, sound and the number/type of USB sockets is going to be related to board quality.

2 Likes

Not entirely sure yet , thinking about AMD Ryzen 7 2700 or Intel Core i5-9600K , something around that range :slight_smile: No wifi needed. Just looking something middle of the road really , price wise. I will leave choosing exact one for someone more competent in this matter than me because it will also need to fit my current GPU and i have constraints of PC Case and also my PSU power output. Lots ofstuff to consider.

1 Like

Ryzen is a bit wonky when it comes to motherboards. I’m assuming you’re not going to overclock but here’s a list. I’ll edit in links and try to tidy it up a bit.

Edit 1: Title edit
Edit 2: Add edits, removed X399 (threadripper), X370, B350, and X299 (intel extreme), made it easier to read, and added links for AMD.
Edit 3: Links and tidying for Intel
Edit 4: 2nd pass for prices (removing those above $200)

Tier A High-end gaming (r7oc, Threadripper 1000oc/Threadripper 2000)

Asus:

Gigabyte:

MSI:

Tier B Mainstream gaming (r5oc, r7oc, Threadripper 1000)

ASUS:

Asrock:

Gigabyte:

MSI:

Here’s one for Intel (under $200):

Tier A High-end gaming (i5oc, i7oc, i9oc)

Gigabyte:

Tier B Mainstream gaming (i5oc, i7oc)

Asus:

Asrock:

Gigabyte:

MSI:

4 Likes

I think I will build a new PC when 3rd gen Ryzen is available…

3 Likes

@DontBeSilly
I would definitely recommend waiting until Independent reviewers have tested the performance of Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000 Series) before buying anything. Because if Zen 2 turns out real well, it may be more worthwhile to get a Good X470/B450 Motherboard with one of the new processors.

That’s personally my plan. (which is largely why I did all the research and linking.)

1 Like

Ryzen 3000 is not “3rd gen”? Sorry, I actually know little about hardware nowadays.

1 Like

3rd Gen, Ryzen 3000, Zen 2. All the same name for the same hardware. Ryzen 2000 was technically Zen+

2 Likes

Depends on how much will they cost because i have kind of limited budget , also not aiming for high-end PC , i will need to build that from scratch some time later.

I have GTX 970 4gb now which i still deem as pretty solid GPU for current day but my CPU always bottlednecked it so looking for some improvements so whole build could serve me few more years before buildling new one form scratch.

1 Like

Coming out July 7th

• Ryzen 9 3900X—12C/24T, 3.8GHz, 105W TDP, $499

• Ryzen 7 3800X—8C/16T, 3.9GHz, 105W TDP, $399

• Ryzen 7 3700X—8C/16T, 3.6GHz, 65W TDP, $329

• Ryzen 5 3600X—6C/12T, 3.8GHz, 95W TDP, $249

• Ryzen 5 3600—6C/12T, 3.6GHz, 65W TDP, $199

• Ryzen 5 3400G— 4C/8T, 3.7GHz, Vega 11 graphics, 65W TDP, $149

• Ryzen 3 3200G—4C/4T, 3.6GHz to 4.0GHz, Vega 8 Graphics, 65W TDP, $99

4 Likes

Ryzen 5 3600 looks likesomething right up my alley though i wonder how much will it cost down here in euros. I wouldnt be surprised that price will be inflated here.

1 Like