What are your all-time favorite indie games on steam?

Too lazy to get links for all of them, so you just get a list of words. :stuck_out_tongue: I also love many, many more but this list would go on forever if I listed all of them.

• FTL: Faster Than Light
  • Papers, Please
  • Headliner
  • Headliner: NoviNews
  • Beholder
  • Beholder 2
  • This War of Mine
  • Slay the Spire
  • Hollow Knight
7 Likes

I personally getting that feeling, I dont belong to this community, cause Im not playing Indie games at all.
Is there anyone else, who feels like this?

4 Likes

What does playing indie games have to do with being a part of this community? Itā€™s a gaming community, not an indie-only gaming community. We would be happy to discuss games here with you even if all you played were Capcom, Blizzard, Ubisoft, EA, Square Enix titles. The discussions revolve around indie titles often because of the interests of people who are very active here, but there are definitely really good AAA games that could be the next best thing since sliced bread for some people. Totally cool too.

8 Likes

i know it stands for that but how are the big ones not independent? are they all connected? are they not making their games and publishing them alone?

5 Likes

Sometimes you can have a small development team and a larger publishing firm as well. Games that come to mind are Ori and the Blind Forest published by Microsoft and Forgotton Anne published by Square Enix. They are small indie teams that had a project good enough to catch the eye of one of the bigger publishers and this way the profits are shared, but they get the benefit of a huge and well-established PR team/systems already in place.

Indie doesnā€™t need to be a one-person project, but usually the team doing the great majority of the work is a very small core set. Outside of that, I am sure most indie dev teams would love to get a collaboration effort through a well-established company so that they can just work on getting the game out there, with other support staff for other things. PR teams are essential for getting the word out there and making the game known before and around release. After release, the game has a short window for getting a large following usually. If they tank after a week, then they would not be able to climb the ā€œNew and Trendingā€ ladder at Steam and thus their project gets pushed way down the list. It would show up less on peopleā€™s discovery queues and fewer views means much fewer sales, etc.

In a good sense, it can be a symbiotic relationship that helps a small game thrive and improve, with furthering the means of a good team to be able to expand on that single project and/or work on future wishlist-potential games.

7 Likes

I donā€™t play any indies as well Kappa ;]

Srsly thoughā€¦ my list is miles long, but someone needs to mention another great SINGLE dev game:

by Mr. Podunkian

6 Likes

I donā€™t really care whether itā€™s indie or not, as long as itā€™s good, iā€™ll play it :smiley:

But in the indie category, hereā€™s my favourite:

98% positive (36k+ reviews)

8 Likes

all are welcome here medi :+1:

(psst, Vermentide counts as an indie too :wink:)

8 Likes

I donā€™t just play indie games. I mean a lot of them I do enjoy because they tend to focus more on developing good games rather than cash grabs, there are non-indie titles I enjoy too. Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Stellaris, Grand Theft Auto, Warframe, Fallout, Skyrim, Squad, Armaā€”tons of stuff. Chrono is a gaming community entirely. Iā€™ve seen people here talk about all sorts of stuff. :slight_smile:

Indie game development is often by individuals or small teams without the financial support of larger publishers or outside sources and or directional input from outside sources. For example, Ubisoft is could not be an indie developer, but Hello Games (No Manā€™s Sky creators) created NMS as an indie developer despite publishing under Sony because they did not receive financial support from Sony. They did all of it on their own with no help and still on a small team (just under the Sony logo).

If you read this wiki page, it might help clear it up. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

To this day, Terraria is still the most played game in my steam list. My hubs and I first got it at full price when released with no idea there were things to actually achieve. We were a long distance couple then, and honestly I will always love this game for bridging us together being so far apart.

To The Moon-NO SPOILERS- Played this game completely blind. It was truly an experience that I can never forget. I then immediately played A Birdā€™s Story and preordered Finding Paradise (which I still need to play, maybe on stream)

UNDERTALE- I was at first put off with the art style so I didnā€™t jump on the hype train when it was first released. When I heard the soundtrack however, I played this game so fast and never regretted it.
I love games like this that once you put it downā€¦ your brain will start to wonder and theory craft a bit.

Stardew Valley- Sometimes you need a game that you dont need to ā€œwinā€ or ā€œcompeteā€ . Another fantastic gem that anytime someone makes a post somewhere like, ā€œBurnt out , need a game to relaxā€, ā€œDepressed, need a game to keep me occupiedā€, or ā€œi like tubers whats a game to playā€ this game is ALWAYS brought up at least twice.

FINALLY- Battle For Wesnoth its am open source turn base strategy game thatā€™s been out forever. It recently came to steam last year or the year before (i think). Games like civ were always really daunting to me so I really never got into them, until my now husband introduced me to this game. It was simplistic enough that it was easy to understand, the factions were balanced very well, and the custom content people created made the game new and fresh . We usually just played 2 v 2 bots and with a few tweaks we were able to keep the difficulty on par with our skill level. Plus games didnt last too long so it wasnt a huge commitment.

10 Likes

Everytime I redownload it, I look at itā€¦ look at a talent treeā€¦ uninstall . I still have never really ā€œstartedā€ the game. I think I got into my own head about it.

5 Likes

Path of Exile is great too. It is a lot like Pillars of Eternity. The method of travel is pretty nifty, too.

5 Likes

Iā€™m gone for one day and this thread just explodes lol, love everyoneā€™s picks!

5 Likes

Nah man, You donā€™t have to play indie games to belong, I just use the word ā€œIndieā€ to express games that arenā€™t widespread AAA titles that most people know about, I just like to discover not so popular games that other people enjoy, nothing technical or strict, Iā€™m actually surprised no one mentioned Minecraft as their top favorites, its surely one of mine.

6 Likes

Canā€™t wait for OFDP 2!

2 Likes

I personally think if under the gameā€™s tags, the word indie is included itā€™s indie.

Most of my favourite games are on GOG.com (shame sometimes there is no DRM-free version as I would love to have those game instead of renting them (like on Steam).

I have Tales of Majā€™Eyal on GOG, purchased all 3 expansions while they were on sale. Itā€™s an epic indie game. And the base game is also free on Tales of Majā€™Eyal official website.

Dungeon of the Endless (Have it on Steam), to me I love this type of game! Explosive, colourful, turn-base and tactical
Crashlands is wonderful and fun (Thanks Chrono.gg, purchased this while it was on Todayā€™s deal).

I have Terraria, Crypt of the NecroDancer, Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition on GOG. I consider all these 6 listed are indie. To me many of those I have fond gameplay memories.

Tabletopia (on Steam) is the latest installed game. OH DEAR! It has simple interface and amazing 600+ boardgames! I only knew and have Tabletop Simulator, But to me Tabletopia is storming Tabletop Simulator as it has Wingspan!

I forgot to mention ABZƛ, Demigod and Shattered Planet these 3 games I have on Steam, They are amazing. Visually relaxing in my opinion. only Demigod and Tabletopia doesnā€™t fit as indie games.

7 Likes

I use GOG more than I use Gamesessions, anything thatā€™s steam friendly Iā€™m a sucker for.

Hereā€™s a game that hasnā€™t been brought up yet, Have you ever played CastleminerZ? Itā€™s like the magnum opus of video games and the celestial bond between indie games in general.

In short, a glorious masterpiece.
CastleminerZ baby!

Okay maybe I lied. But itā€™s still a bang for your buck. Wait am I still lying?

6 Likes

I am still super grateful the GOG Connect system (anything we have on Steam = same game DRM free on GOG).

My sense are telling me thatā€™s ā€œDefinitely Sneaky But Not Sneakyā€. Instead of magnum opus, Gemcraft / Gremlins, Inc. are WAY better games (in my opinion). Indie games to me are similar as poking fruits towards Chocolate Fountain. When 3 buck you can get 1 to 3 good games (if we wait) thanks Humble Bundle and those so often on saleā€™s sale deals in recent years. Of course you are, V3rmin

6 Likes

I use humble bundle more than I use GOG more than I use Gamessesions, anything that saves me moneh Iā€™m a sucker for.

3 Likes

It can appear overwhelming but with minimal research youā€™ll be fine for a starter build. Aka look at a YouTube video or read a forum guide with a skill tree link :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes