What are you reading, watching and/or listening to?

into the breach: the movie :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Basically
Person 1: “Hey do you know what would be super sweet? We mix Godzilla, Gundam and Power Rangers and chuck it all into one movie”,
Person 2: “That sounds great, lets do it”

we get Pacific Rim.

Then
Person 1: “oh dope that first movie worked out, should we make another?”
Person 2: “I mean why not”
Person 1: “sweet, should we do something different just to change it up in this one”
Person 2: “Well we could… but that sounds like work, lets make a kid of a main character from the first movie that was never mentioned the main focus, bring back some of the people from the last movie and do it again”

Pacific Rim Uprising

Again the movie was fine, I actually didn’t mind it, just nothing new.

6 Likes

Still working on The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree, as I got distracted by re-discovering the Night Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko. Or rather, the first book in the “Watch” series is titled that. They did a movie based on it that stunk on ice, so ignore it if you think you might be interested in the series. Basic upshot of it is dark urban fantasy in Russia, where the “Others” (beings with supernatural abilities) exist in secret conflict that the rest of the world is unaware of. The titular Night Watch consists of the group that police the Dark others, and there is a Day Watch that polices the Light others. There is a lot of political maneuvering in addition to the action that takes place in the book, and it’s a decent read for anyone who likes urban fantasy and wants to see another country’s take on it. Ostensibly, there are six books in the series, but I’ve only read through the fourth, Final Watch. I didn’t even know there had been two more written until one turned up in my Amazon discovery queue, but I’m looking forward to getting into them once I get back through the original books another time.

I’ve changed my music routine up a bit and have been listening to video game soundtracks to go with my morning workout. I’ve found that fighting games have some of the best music to get you pumped up and driven towards going just a few more reps. The Killer Instinct soundtracks (both classic and the newest game) definitely get my blood moving.

Watching-wise, I’ve dipped back in to Lucifer and Lethal Weapon, when they’re on, and my wife and I have really been enjoying 9-1-1 and Battle Creek. We’ve also been throwing on Fresh Off The Boat for a palate cleanser when we’re in the mood for some lighter fare.

6 Likes

Watched I Kill Giants yesterday. It was ok, telling the story of a troubled teenage girl. I’ve seen worse, although I’ve also seen better.

Also saw The Cloverfield Paradox…essentially, a scifi film with no real internal logic and a star filled cast when there was no need. Should have spent the money on plot.

4 Likes

So quick update. I have since watched -

Molly’s Game - Really enjoyed this based upon a true story tale of a high stakes poker game and the perils of money. Jessica Chastain was really good in it and I learned that Tobey Maguire is probably a horrible person.

American Psycho - felt like rewatching this. Bale embodies Bateman…cannot imagine anyone else in the role. Not having read the book I can’t imagine that the film is too much of a disappointment for those that have.

The Crow - also rewatched this. The acting is better than I remembered but the story is so lightweight. Fun for what it is though.

The Frighteners - Catching Peter Jackson before he hit the big time, this horror comedy is merely ok, but Michael J Fox’s incredibly likeable charm elevates it a little above average. The effects have dated horribly though.

Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby, The Eiger Sanction and Heartbreak Ridge - Felt like a little Clint Eastwood. The first two I’d recommend, the latter two are ok but quite dated.

The Shape of Water - Del Toro is generally enjoyable but this sits at the weaker end of his repertoire. Pan’s Labyrinth and The Devil’s Backbone are much better. Still entertaining though, but not quite as good as his other stuff.

Pi - Aronofsky’s early attempts to make you realise that life is terrible. Feels bad man.

I’m also reading Punkster’s recommendation of Incompetence by Rob Grant. The first page worried me because it was just a page of punchlines, but after a few more pages I started enjoying myself. I’m almost finished with it and I think I’ll be sad when I’m done. Grant has a nice friendly writing style and humour so I think I’m going to give Colony or Fat a go at some point. Worth a read for sure.

7 Likes

watching netflix’s Lost in Space got me like :man_facepalming: :confounded: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
it’s so frustratingly stupid…
and visually “beautiful” boring af, (+ really love it when scify shows does that “lets put a purple or brown / X filter over eeeverything green” to make a fauna/scenery “alien”)
and just as i thought maybe all hope wasn’t lost for “child”/teen actors these days, this comes along and puts me back to macaulay culkin
the writing, no cringe, at all, truly defies all clichés, you can’t make this stuff up if you tried, well they did, so obviously they are in for like, dozens of awards… :roll_eyes:
such a shame, what a waste of a good robot alien…

… i should have gone for Jessica Jones s2 instead… :persevere: oh well, there’s always tomorrow… no way to rewind the hours wasted this saturday :expressionless:

8 Likes

Not sure why you deleted that post???

Anyway, watched The Commuter last night which is the latest Liam Neeson film. Essentially Neeson has a very particular set of skills and he’s tasked to do something only he can do…spot anything familiar from almost any other Neeson film from the last decade? Suppose it was ok but there didn’t appear to be any logic in the storytelling and it felt somewhat stupid. 5 or 6 out of 10 maybe?

6 Likes

looking rly old?

4 Likes

He’s not that bad…although certainly some of the brawling (65 year old man vs much younger guy on multiple occasions) seemed a little of a stretch. Although that wasn’t the most ridiculous aspect of the story.

4 Likes

With the magic of movies, I’m sure he isn’t, but i recently saw him on Colbert, and he actually looked older than his age.

3 Likes

i just wanted to rant and vent a little :blush:
Lost in Space had me so frustrated i actually started rooting for characters to get killed off, :triumph:
to such a degree almost the only character i could stomach was the freakin “robot”, -a borderline inanimate object :persevere:

i didn’t believe it when it happened, but THIS^, was an actual subplot… :confounded:
fuckin eels… disaster ex machina; “we’ve got eels in our spaceship, -and now we can’t get home” :man_facepalming:

9 Likes

Yo my prediction powers! does this make me the Nostradamus of danish eels?

6 Likes

I approve of negativity…it’s not even that negative…plus from what I’ve read about season two of JJ you may not have employed your time any more constructively. They also made a film about Snakes on a plane, and Star Trek had tribbles…was it that bad in comparison?

I’ve now decided to crack on with Better Call Saul Season 3…

Please, if possible make this a thing. :smile:

6 Likes

just call Samuel Jackson

5 Likes

Watching:
some weeb stuff

Listening
ℒund - (Broken)

dis is 2 gud

5 Likes

Made in Abyss was amazing because it started pretty cute and kind of stupid but then got seriously messed up towards the end, really loved that series and looking forward to season 2.

7 Likes

Galavant on Netflix… Only watched the first episode, definitely going to proceed with the rest, the humor is incredible.

3 Likes

Speaking of weeb stuff, I’m halfway through Devilman: Crybaby

Was not expecting the gratuitous amount of boobs. There’s also been two scenes so far that made me unintentionally lol. I absolutely love the director though, he’s quickly becoming my new favourite living one.

Nice to see an anime that doesn’t look like an anime.

5 Likes

Saw Ready Player One on the cinema couple of days ago. Ok movie (ofc the book is better) but some cool effects.

Did finish reading/listing to Stephen king’s The stand. Ok book, kind of long and nothing mindblowing (if books now can be that? Do you know any?)

Giving Stephen another chance and currently listing to The Dark Tower. First books was very boring but on the second now and is much more interesting.

I tired to listen to Robot Dreams by Isaac Asimow, but did not quite understand or grasp it.

Discovered Black Mirror on Netflix and really liked it. On season 4 now so just couple of episodes left.

5 Likes

Right now, listening to:

I also quite like:

Almost forgot this one:

3 Likes