What are you reading, watching and/or listening to?

Finished Ready Player One. I think that I really quite enjoyed it, although I have a few issues with the ending that cannot be discussed due to being spoilerific. Needless to say I feel like things were tied up to serve the ending rather than following the established rules of the story. Still good though, although I may well give the film a miss. Going to start Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky next. The Sopranos is also improving…nearly finished season one now. And am currently listening to a few new podcasts…Back in My Play is occupying my mind at the moment.

4 Likes

Watching

1. Firefly (2002-2003)

Fantastic Sci-fi TV show that I’m currently enjoying with my space-adoring mother.

2. Archer (2009-)

Unapologetic, unsettling and unexpected. I just finished the first season and I’m enjoying the second one so far.

3. Others

Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Black Sails, Versailles, BBC’s War & Peace, Twin Peaks and The Handmaid’s Tale are all on my watching list – yeah, I’m hectic. I recommend every single one of them.

I should probably quit watching so many TV shows all at once…

giphy

7 Likes

Watched King Arthur: Legend of the Sword…yep, they Ritchie’d it. Enjoyed it more than Ripley Scott’s Robin Hood but that still doesn’t count as an endorsement. And now on episode 4 of the second season of The Sopranos. I can honestly say that I’m enjoying it now.

2 Likes

Watched Bright…cool idea in concept (even if I’m luke warm on Will Smith). 'twas OK, but would have been much better as a TV Series. The concept of Orc’s, Elves, Fairies etc in a buddy cop movie seemed awesome but it was a bit Meh, Shrug.

1 Like

watched Justice League…
the ongoing DC train wreck is getting harder to watch :man_facepalming:
don’t think i’ll bother with squidman’s nemo adventures or genie and the wünder kinder…
i might reconsider for wonder woman 2 if they finally grow up and ditch the lovecrapian style, and maybe something with the flash (tho please dear all mighty Majestic, -not flashpoint!)

damn i hope super hero movies aren’t dying, -haven’t seen ragnarok yet, but don’t know if i dare be optimistic…
(and don’t think i can bare the last jedi after force awakens travesty :sob:)

here’s to praying that marvel don’t screw up 2018 too bad :pray:

3 Likes

ragnarok is really good, more of a comedy movie than anything, but a definite recommend

4 Likes

So I was wondering…Is Firefly actually worth watching if I thought Serenity was kind of meh?

4 Likes

Most certainly. Serenity was not great in comparison to Firefly, it was too much of an action movie to just wrap up the main story line of the series and rushed to boot. The series is far slower paced and not anywhere near as action oriented. It focuses a lot more on the personalities and their interactions in a western-scifi setting. The movie might have spoiled it a little for you, but I’d definitely recommend watching the series.

Look up the “intended order” of episodes though and don’t watch them in order they were aired as that was messed up by fox and I don’t even know. The proper order shouldn’t be hard to find.

6 Likes

^agree with Fraggles
i liked Serenity, -i loooved firefly (curse fox for deliberately sabotaging it and canceling)
and i didn’t catch on to most “space stuff”-series besides next gen and stargate sg1,
i think it might have been the “western” aspect of the space drama that added some nice flavour to me…

aaanyways, been listening to Wax Fang - Majestic on massive repeat the past couple of days

(real Wax Fang link)
+some CCR (bad moon rising, have you ever seen the rain, etc.) & some Johnny Cash
along with some Bo Burnham songs + Disney stuff to cheer me a bit back up

3 Likes

Firefly is dope, give it a try. It’s a shame the creator is whatever he is, but yeah… Firefly is a good.

3 Likes

Cool. Thanks…was worried it may have aged poorly given how excellent TV drama has got over the intervening years. And thanks for the heads up about the correct episode order…weird decision about airing it out of sequence.

3 Likes

I like um youtubers.

been watching TFS non stop practically.

they have a huge backlog of videos.

and I need to keep learning Dragon ball facts for when I want to go on mastermind.

1 Like

Watched Alien Convenant again…it’s good for about 75 minutes and then descends into “REALLY? THEY THOUGHT THAT WAS THE WAY TO GO WITH THE ORIGIN STORY? REALLY???”

Also watched/DNF’d Beyond Skyline. That was an hour of my life I’ll never get back…

Currently reading This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay. Really enjoying it as an illustration of how terribad it must be to be a doctor in the NHS. Children of Time was ok (the previous book I was reading) but it was a bit too long.

2 Likes

The shit I will watch for Frank Grillo, the man whores himself out to some of the worst projects but then you get stuff like Kingdom which was amazing, gone too soon.

2 Likes

Based upon your recommendation I may well look into Kingdom at some point in the future.

1 Like

Watching: I am currently not watching any shows but I might start watching firefly soon.

Books: Again I am currently not reading anything but i have a copy of The last wish by Andrzej Sapkowski that i haven’t touched in a while and only read half of.

Music: I have mostly been listening to recently Metallica albums including Load, Master Of Puppets, Self titled album and …And Justice For All.

4 Likes

I just finished listening to this absolutely brilliant album and figured I had to share it with everyone, anyone!
Listen to it it’s amazing.

7 Likes

Not too shabby. I nominate the artist to do the music for any Journey to Silius remakes.

3 Likes

Yeeeessss, Carpenter Brut haz good stuff

3 Likes

Now that would be an OST worth listening to!

(For those unfamiliar with Bandcamp, 0 is an acceptable price)

4 Likes