[UPDATE] Steam Play updated, bigger focus on Linux gaming

Talking about bridge building games and relevant to the topic; I should see if Bridge It+ works with Steam Play. One can do crazy stuff in that game with enough dedication…

Edit. Works like a charm (did get a black screen on first boot though, but noticed no problems on subsequent runs)! Too bad my profile wasn’t synced into the steam cloud thingy. Oh well. I would’ve probably forgotten most of the intricacies of the game anyway so I guess it’s better to start from the beginning if I ever decide to get back to it.

I don’t even remember how long it has been since I last saw that “Installing DirectX…” screen on Steam either! During the intro screen I missread the developer as Chronie Logic and was pretty surprised by the random connection. Upon checking it again the developer is actually named Chronic Logic though :smiley:.

5 Likes

I took it, thank you very much! Probably not switching to Linux though, sorry.

3 Likes

You’re missing out on at least not trying Linux, or dual booting. Once you delve into i3-gaps and have your terminal greet you with wonderful custom ascii, you wonder why you still use Windows (at least by itself). :laughing:

EDIT

Oh, just saying stuff probably isn’t convincing enough! When you see the eye candy…then you get to drooling. :wink:

awesomeness hidden inside

This is the stuff that some people do with i3-gaps and it is beyond glorious. It not only displays neat stuff for your visual pleasure, it displays as much important information as you want it too, or silly information.

(via this reddit thread)

(via this reddit thread)

png

(via this reddit thread)

5 Likes

I always cringe a bit when I see this kind of tiling window manager abuse in the form of carefully arranged floating windows :nauseated_face:. Even gaps are too much for me. Also, terminal transparency, I find, is pretty pointless and distracting.

Something like this is much more my style. Although he could (ab)use more workspaces and tabbed containers…

3 Likes

I don’t like transparency either, but I can admit it looks attractive overall as a theme even if I would never use it.

What about something like this for the window management?

(via this thread)

Something like this 3 is much more my style. Although he could (ab)use more workspaces and tabbed containers…

It is hard to see, screen is blurry, but if I can make it out right, it looks like the he boxes each application against each other so he can see them all at once (so he doesn’t have to switch out of a program). That’s what I do too, and depedent on the application being used, it could be that I pin it down to two or three total.

5 Likes

The picture you posted is getting there, even if the font is too tiny for my liking and the layout would probably be too complex for actual use if all of those windows were necessary/used for productivity. At least the division is kinda logical with a three way horizontal split and each container being further split into either two or three vertical containers.

In the picture I linked to my main critique would’ve been that he could’ve hidden that music player in another workspace entirely (or tabbed it with the chat) because that would most likely just end up being distracting. Perhaps the chat/other communication (email etc.) could’ve used it’s own workspace too. I mean sure, it comes down to personal preference but I find that usually having more than two or three splits just gets confusing to navigate and tabbing stuff or moving it to another workspace is a neat way of getting rid of that “problem”.

3 Likes

BTW forgot to share but I was able to reinstall my Linux and it’s working OK. :blush:

Kinda tired of reinstalling distros atm so I’ll move some other day haha

Also updated OP with new info:

1. Steam Play Beta is now on the stable branch of Steam for Linux (just check your settings);

2. several games were whitelisted by the community (although the Forbes article is somewhat misleading and a bit on the ignorant side) and

3. you can add info about which games work for you and how well they work via a Google forms linked in OP. Don’t forget to add your setup info (kernel, etc)!

Hooray!

5 Likes

I don’t use Linux, but it’s good to see steam increasing support for it.
Maybe someday I’ll try Linux.

5 Likes

B-but… Your icon is a penguin…

I mean… Surely you wouldn’t lie to us?!

I’m joking, don’t take me very seriously. :joy:

4 Likes

Got The Tiny Bang Story from Humble Bundle stamp event but I already own a copy and since this topic also doubles as my personal GNU/Linux Steam key dump here’s an extra copy if someone is interested: Your Humble Bundle Receipt : A very special gift just for you. I remember being not too fond of this game for some reason, but I feel that way about most Point & Click afventure games.

Also I don’t think anyone has redeemed that Hand of Fate key from my earlier post yet.

Blade Symphony (currently in coin shop for 5000 coins) seems to also be coming for Linux Blade Symphony Looks To Be An Impressive Sword Fighting Title For Linux Gamers - Phoronix, so now might be a good time to jump on that if someone is interested. Might be a good idea to have someone to play with, as it doesn’t seem to have much of a community anymore. I myself have only played a little bit of this, but perhaps I’ll give it another go once the Linux version is released.

4 Likes

got yr tiny bang thx dude; if i end up getting five stamps i’ll give it out too here

2 Likes

You should try mint it is very cool! I just tried it yesterday on my mac.

4 Likes

Mint is what I like to suggest to people new to Linux who like the look and navigation of Windows. Very easy to get into, but it still has all the benefits of a Linux environment.

4 Likes

I moved from Ubuntu to Linux Mint like year ago and I like it so much. Its probably the only Linux that offer you an option to choose your Graphic card when you have the Optimus technology.
However I didnt really try to play at Linux yet.

3 Likes

Boys and Girls I am convinced. I’ll put in that extra effort to make my move soon-ish. Thanks, everyone! :yellow_heart:

3 Likes