To Mutant Year Zero, or not to Mutant Year Zero, that is the question.

Due to my short stint as a tabletop game designer I have always had this almost overwhelming urge to support video games that bridge the gap between the two; i.e. Battletech, D&D, Shadowrun, Vampire: The Masquerade, etc. I usually buy said games same day or at the very least when they are cheaper and/or bundled. Sometimes I have gotten burnt in the past though, but at the moment the reviews seem mostly positive-ish. Between games journalist, Steam, Twitch, and Youtube (sorry Mixer) it is beginning to look like it will be a safe buy. Pathfinder:Kingmaker was supposed to be a “safe” buy too, LULZ. So I put the task to you, my fellow Chronies. If you played Mutant Year Zero, please give it a lil’ review. Your thoughts and opinions on this game would be much appreciated.

5 Likes

Haven’t bought it yet, but probably will one day, rly excited for this game, just a bit disappointed it’s only 15-20h long.

3 Likes

YES!!! My sentiment exactly! Probably my number one concern going forward with this game. On top of that, after perusing the “Official” game forum, the developer/publishers of the title have been extremely cautious and noncommittal on any statements made regarding the subject of DLC. I do hope that this isn’t just a one and done effort on their part.

2 Likes

This looked pretty good, even added it to my wishlist for a second, then noticed it’s another denuvo infected game. What a shame.

6 Likes

I stuck around for the publisher’s streams of the game for quite a bit, got to hear their discussion and see some gameplay. Honestly, I loved xcom and the combat is very similar to that, so naturally I’d like this too. However it’s really the world / map they built along with a nice story and interesting, unusual characters that makes this more unique. The mix of real-time exploration and the stealth mechanics in order to strategically plan your combat before it begins is a cool idea, I think - and then it seamlessly transitions to turn-based combat.

My one major problem is - I don’t know how “amazing” this world and story truly are, to be worth the playtime, because, they sacrificed replay-ability for those elements. If you were to rerun through the game, everything stays the exact same. Things like dialogue and characters being the same should be no surprised - but there was no attempt to randomize item drops or perhaps the mobs / enemies. Supposedly most encounters are tied to the story in some way but perhaps a few random combats that might change the way you run through the game a second time would be cool…I don’t know. If the price tag were a little lower I’d probably have purchased it but at the moment I’ll be opting out. Still looks like it was well done and I do genuinely like the characters and the environments.

2 Likes

Oh, sweet baby Jesus… the temptation… 20% off… must not give in…
https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/mutant-year-zero-road-to-eden-deluxe-edition-pc/

5 Likes

So, i finally started playing this game (thx meowski mouse @YQMaoski ), and i must say i’m disgusted with one element; the game is a lie. The game is supposed to be an xcom style game where each shot has a certain percentage of hitting or missing, and it’s fake. I set up an ambush to kill a dude, i had 2 100% shots on him but that was not enough to kill him as i needed to get one crit in to get the necessary damage, so i activated a skill which lowered one shot from 100% to 75%. The shot missed, fair enough. Because of this, i got rushed by 10 enemies or so and my whole team got wiped, fair enough. No biggie, right. So i load my game up and do it again. The same thing happens. Now, this i felt weird, missing 2 75% shots in a row can happen ofc, but so i again start over and set up the trap and manually save and try again. It misses. Again. It misses. And over 10 times again and again and again, same result. That is not realistically possible. I know it is statistically possible, but i think everyone will agree that it seems very fishy. As if it’s scripted that u can not land that shot on that guy at this stage of the game…

and that’s disgusting cuz it means the game lies to u…

3 Likes

that’s because it probably is
if it is like recent xcom/similar games, they actually follow a seed, which predetermines the outcome/actions of everything that happens, “before” you do it
this is why, to “counter” it in Xcom2 you had to savescum, then do another action, before trying to repeat that
a seed could for instance be like this
99, 44, 38, 82, 11, 22, 48, 27, 68, 92, 72 etc etc etc -this is set up on start of map
this means, that “no matter” what you do, the actions will follow this sequence/outcome, so if your first roll is not 99^ you will fail your first action, no matter how many times you reload. In xcom, “hard fails” like that, could then be bypassed with stuff with guarantee hits, like grenade toss/AOEs, certain skill use etc, and then use the character that wanted to shoot, because now the action only had to pass a 44roll
true rng/“per turn rolls” are not really that common and often seems rng games like these follow a seed base mechanic
some games then up the ante by making a new seed if you save scum, to really mess with your rolls :wink:

5 Likes

Sounds just like XCOM, imo :rofl:

To echo Gnuffi, ya I’m pretty sure these games try to prevent “retry.” The saved game is only meant to pick up where you left off, but does not necessarily to give you a different outcome if the same save is reloaded. In this way, the game can introduce a rogue-like element where only “forward” progress is possible. If you want a different outcome, you have to change how you play after reloading, or you have to restart the level/checkpoint (if the game offers such a feature).

3 Likes

no but that’s exactly not the case in xcom; you can save-scum in xcom; it’s known that if u miss a shot u can simply reload yr save and hit it, while apparently here u cannot

as for the seed thing, yeah @Gnuffi apparently yr right, cuz i tried a bunch more times to no avail, and then i decided to go back to the Ark (base) to get some upgrades and shit and come back, and this time i decided to sneak kill a different enemy first, and then i proceeded to this enemy and it did work, first time, lol

am loving the game though

3 Likes

:+1: that’s definitely the most important part of all this. :smiley:

6 Likes