Thousands of playable DOS games added at Internet Archive

The blog post with the official news:

Another few thousand DOS Games are playable at the Internet Archive! Since our initial announcement in 2015, we’ve added occasional new games here and there to the collection, but this will be our biggest update yet, ranging from tiny recent independent productions to long-forgotten big-name releases from decades ago.

You can browse them here.

And guess what, mateys??

AHOY! :monkey_face: :monkey_face: :monkey_face:

com

21 Likes

Yea, i saw that. I had it on my list to post but I was busy… Thanks for posting it, @coralinecastell :heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation:

6 Likes

Wow what a lot of old games.

Quickly looking through I can see some old favorites.

7 Likes

I think it’s really cool. The only downside to this I can see is…the download is IN your browser. When you clean your browser, you will have to remember to save it. And some people were saying some of the downloads were big.

7 Likes

This is really cool! I didn’t even know this existed, I always thought Internet Archive was just a database of images of websites. I was not expecting this level of interactivity!

Thanks for the link :sunny:

6 Likes

The Internet Archives has lots of stuff…

"As our web archive grew, so did our commitment to providing digital versions of other published works. Today our archive contains:

• 330 billion web pages
  • 20 million books and texts
  • 4.5 million audio recordings (including 180,000 live concerts)
  • 4 million videos (including 1.6 million Television News programs)
  • 3 million images
  • 200,000 software programs"

https://archive.org/about/

7 Likes

I mailed my mint condition Secret of Monkey Island DOS manual (amongst other old PC manuals/documentation) to their warehouse as a donation. I wonder if they kept it? Postal tracking says they received it.

5 Likes

I remember hearing LGR talking about this some time ago. Never got around to it tbh since I didn’t grow up playing DOS games and have no interest atm but I assume it has since improved.

6 Likes