The World Through Your Eyes

SLR? What your new friend’s specs?

5 Likes

Not DSLR no, it’s the newer variation called mirrorless. Eschewing the mirror and prism assembly of the SLRs for simply using a small oled screen in the viewfinder. Makes it possible to make smaller cameras, not requiring any moving parts. But they do wind up drawing more power so battery life is a little more of a concern. Since there’s no internal movement on the taking of a picture they’re slightly more stable and can take sharper faster images, even when hand held.

As for specs, well there’s a LOT of them. It’s a 26.1 MPixel Cmos ASP-C sensor. Also called a “crop sensor” which is at about half the size of the “full sized” ones, this makes it able to use far smaller lenses which makes them slightly cheaper and lighter. But it also brings an inherent base “zoom” level of 1.5x compared to “full size” sensors. Meaning if I’m using a 16mm focal length objective that would take the same image as a 24mm objective on a full size. Thus a crop sensor is a little handicapped for getting really wide angle photography, but benefits at deeper zooms. The objective I got along this one is a 16-80mm f/4, which would then be the equivalent of 24-120mm so that’s a pretty decent range of possible focal lengths to work with, which is the reason I opted for it.

OK, so that’s like two specs down… it can do so many things I’m likely never going to fully utilize tbh. I rather expect for this to be the only camera I will ever need. Though I might well get another lens or two at some point.

4 Likes

Ooh. Mirrorless! I heard about those a few years ago. I can’t wait to see the cute plants and cats :joy: you photography.

Being able to add lenses is a plus.

Hm. Reminds me that some immersion blenders have add-ons too. Hail to the gadetry!

4 Likes

I hear that vampires prefer Mirrorless cameras (sorry, I couldn’t resist the joke). :nerd_face:

6 Likes
4 Likes

"They seem to think they can probably take us and they’re probably right,” she said.

For most animals, they’re absolutely right. The owls look so silly in there but they made it work. ^^

4 Likes

First picture I’m happy to share from the new camera. Imgur preserved the quality pretty admirably but not sure what this forum will do to it. Follow the link if you want to see it in full resolution, though it’ll likely not fit the screen your using. I’d love to hear any opinions or thoughts, even if they’re dismissive.

7 Likes

Brave Bunny. I pulled in about 2 feet from it and was able to take pictures from my car. Only hopped away as I got out of the car.

6 Likes

@Pylinaer It mondo cute.

@Fraggles Crispy! Good angles too. It in use, that structure?

3 Likes

Hope everyone is doing well. Been busy lately with a lot of other things…

Here are a couple of random encounters:

Black rat snake, this thing was really quite large as far as the type of snakes go. Saw it on my way info work about a week ago, had to get out of the car to take a photo:

This moth was really fairly sizeable as well. It was just sitting about, presumably toward the end of its life. I got a few nice photos in:

10 Likes

Nice pics. You still got “The Eye”. :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

5 Likes

3 Likes

I hope the fires are being controlled well now. The smoke made it down to NC late last week for a couple of days.

4 Likes

I have now taken about 1100 photos with my new camera, here’s 3 of them that I think turned out particularly well.

Sunrise over forest

Sunrise over fields

Sunrise over lake

12 Likes

GOOD :eye: :heartbeat: :heavy_heart_exclamation: :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

Ooh. Looking at you getting good! ^^

5 Likes

Your photos turned out amazing :heavy_heart_exclamation:

5 Likes

Headed out for a walk around the woods looking for some late summer early autumn scenery to photograph, didn’t really find anything worth taking any pictures of. But I did find a nice little snack to bring home.

5 Likes

I imagine you obviously must know what you’re doing, but I’d advise caution regardless.

5 Likes

Of course I do. These are the safest mushrooms to learn to pick as there’s really no other toxic mushroom that shares it’s characteristics. There is one called the false -same name as these- which just doesn’t taste much of anything so you’re only getting disappointed.

They are a bit of a hassle to clean though. One of their main features is a hollow trunk which a multitude of spiders and insects find real handy spots to both hide out and lay eggs. So you gotta split them open and evict any lodgers. This pile took me about an hour to go through.

6 Likes