The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy returns to BBC Radio

Everyone, grab your towels and listen in…next Thursday.

“And even better, unlike the BBC’s TV content, it’s not geoblocked or behind any kind of paywall.”

15 Likes

Towels?

10 Likes

Count me excited! I love this series :slight_smile:

8 Likes

dang, and just as i ran out of goldfish to put in my ear… :smile:

7 Likes

Does this mean we get to listen to some of the 3rd worst poetry in the universe?

7 Likes

Also: To set the mood.

*Babel fish

5 Likes

Well, sorry for living in a country that’s not UK/S where this is not even a thing.

3 Likes

Hmmm, okay apology accepted.

3 Likes

It’s OK…But There is even a “Towel Day”.

2 Likes

But you need to be a fan to celebrate that, I just didn’t grow up with it, or anyone else here since you know, it was a radio show, in English, in the UK; those rarely get exported, much less localized, especially for a population that was not that much into sci-fi to begin with.

3 Likes

I understand that you didn’t have the chance to enjoy those things. And that is very sad. But the internet has open some of those options to all. You just have to look for it. It is a book too. “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy has become an international multi-media phenomenon; the novels are the most widely distributed, having been translated into more than 30 languages by 2005.”

I watched Doctor Who in the '70’s and saw Red Dwarf in the 90’s on PBS. It wasn’t on mainstream TV. So At least I did have those options. I think it was in 2000 that I found out about Douglas Adams on the internet. That was around Towel Day" I think…And then i went to my library to find the books.

So see…you are having the same experience as me…just a little later.

2 Likes

Oh don’t get me wrong, I intend to listen to this “recast” to see what’s all about, is just something that I have not that much interest in, the first time I heard of it was around 2010? so I’m not that into it as others are.

3 Likes

The old TV series is on YouTube as well. If you like good, well-written comedy, the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is bound to be within your reach, I am certain of it. I didn’t grow up with it either, it aired when I was a wee kid and I had to go to Holland to read the books.

That is episode one, there are 6 in total. The TV Show is extremely dated now but it is more in line with the radio/book version of the story than the 2005 film was. The film is okay but it misses the mark and the message of the books/radio play.

If you are interested I’d be willing to bet that your local Library has it as well.
Give it a try, you’ll love it, guaranteed. It was written mid-seventies and it still reads like it was recent, it was that forward-thinking.

If you listen to this new version, you may feel very lost as it is based on the increasingly inaccurate last book of the trilogy of six “…And Another Thing,” And it wasn’t written by Douglas Adams and it shows, it is not awful but it is not Douglas Adams. The best stuff is the first 3 books.

3 Likes

There is also a guy on YouTube who has been animating the old radio plays. He was one of the first I ever subscribed to on YouTube, it is a shame YouTube do not allow for animators to flourish anymore. This guy is good.

4 Likes