The Game "Ultima" Deal! Should I Get It?

I was checking out this deal on GOG…

Then I saw this:
a05ab839-b4da-4713-be3f-26752a918dea

I have 3 of them. Is this a game I SHOULD complete? It’s so old it is not even on Steam yet…That I could find.
I have played 4 and i recall it being a fun game. The reviews are leading me to believe, I should have them all. I have been getting into the “older games” lately because of my “potato PC”.

8 Likes

I wish these were on steam :cry:
I would get this deal, if they were.

3 Likes

No, they are super old and awfully unintuitive. I wouldn’t wanna put up wt these old graphics anymore.
Also Delenn, don’t forget, you have PLENTY of games in your collection you still haven’t finished (or even started), try to control yourself :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The series on total seems to be cheaper than your items in cart, or are you unable to purchase due to what you already have?

Of course I am not accounting for exchange rates. It’s just me being lazy… This series went through some pretty dramatic changes especially in the later games that deviated from the initial ones. I think they were all quite awesome and I remember spending a decent amount of time on the series as a whole. I stopped after 7, so I can’t comment on what came after… (I had a CD of the first 8 games on my Windows 98 machine I think.) Something about 8 made me stop playing it, but I can’t remember what or why. It was one of those middle school summers when I did nothing but play this series or outside playing with my friends. I estimate about 250-300+ hours spent on these games that summer. So for the amount of time you will spend if you were to complete these games, you certainly get your money’s worth. These are good, but they are old, and I think what they do have been significant enhanced by modern games, even if you have a potato of a machine. I personally will not be going back to replay them, but because times change and I have so many games at my finger tips.

6 Likes

It’s the exchange…1 American Dollar = 1.3149 Canadian Dollar But I just got 10.00 US put in my PP from surveys.

Go away, voice of reason!:grimacing:

6 Likes

The answer to that is another series of questions: What’s your tolerance level for old-school, western-style RPGs, with less-than-stellar graphics, that could potentially take hours upon hours to complete? Do you have any nostalgia for these games? Do you really have a burning need to be able to say “Yes, I’ve played through the entire Ultima series”?

If the answer to any of those is “no”, then you may want to consider a pass on them. Sure, it’s a killer deal on the series, but if you’re not going to be able to take the time to play them (he said, looking at his own pile of shame on Steam) then there’s no sense in buying them. Besides, it’s not like you’d get any of the cool physical swag that originally came with them, like the maps, coins, et cetera…

3 Likes

Slightly off and on topic: Is there any game similar to Ultima Online (graphics and gameplay-wise) on steam today? Single oder Multiplayer would be ok. I just miss this 2D style so much.

2 Likes

You might find anything by Spiderweb software to your liking.

2 Likes

Thank you. I will look into their other games. I can remember playing “Escape from the Pit” somewhere.

2 Likes

I still haven’t decided…I have until Tues. :thinking:

IIRC,Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar is one of the Free games offered when you join up with GOG…So make sure you check your library…

2 Likes

Ultima 7 is one of my favorite games I’ve ever played. The other ones are pretty great as well, the only one that’s horrible is ultima 9 when they went 3d with it.

By a lot of standards the graphics are super dated and all that but if you want a peak at pretty much what set a lot of standards for a lot of RPGs for decades they deserve a look :sunny:

I mean GOG used to stand for Good Old Games but now they try to say it just is GOG as in GAHG SOoOo

1 Like

Ultima 7 is the high point in the series in my opinion, definitely worth checking out. 8 and 9 are kinda terrible. Both had rough development cycles. 8 was rushed out and is sort of an unfinished mess. 9 is terribly unstable, or at least it was, can’t imagine it’s gotten better.

I had the Underworld games, they’re okay, kinda hard if memory serves.

2 Likes

OK! I will get 7 tonight…Thanks for the advice. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Plus in the Ultima 7 pack on GOG gives you Serpent Isle & The Black Gate so it’s kind of a steal

1 Like