The Culling 2 Tanks So Hard That Xaviant Pulled The Game From Steam, But The Culling(1) is back in development.

It isn’t Fortnite though. Its a added game mode that is F2P but that doesn’t make the game F2P so it isn’t involved with the initial question.

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

4 Likes

Let’s chill a little bit and disagree nicely. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Once again, I’ll have to agree with @harith, even if it makes me shed a tear. Fortnite BR is Fortnite. Save the World has been diminished to the button you click by accident. Like Paragon and Unreal Tournament, Fortnite: Save the World will be plagued by underdevelopment until they eventually decide to pull the plug… though maybe Fortnite itself can be spared thanks to being tied into BR.

I’d love to argue in your favor, because this irritates me greatly… but you really can’t ignore it. Fortnite BR has replaced Epic’s entire library.

2 Likes
6 Likes

LOL, at least they decided to do something about it quickly rather than waiting another three months, hoping a praying that it would miraculously get better. I think if Evolve and Lawbreakers had acted earlier they would have given themselves better chances at surviving (though Lawbreakers sorta tried by releasing a huge patch, but pissed off a hell of a lot of the little player base that was remaining)

For what it’s worth I understand what @Twistedgerm is saying, Fortnite BR was always F2P, probably as a way to promote Fortnite: Save the World but Epic don’t care anymore because they are making all the money, they could cancel development on StW and most people would have no idea there was ~another~ Fortnite game

5 Likes

Fortnite PVE/tower defense will be F2P. What you pay for is a premium/prerelease pack to play the beta.

4 Likes

strange how sooo many are chasing BR, yet so little innovation is made upon the “genre”,
everybody is just doing the same thing over and over, -comn add something new/exciting, it’s been over a year already time to invent/move on :roll_eyes:

how hard would it be to make a BR from the perspective of a farmed chicken?
set it indoors, pure pecking and flapping combat, with rooms that got segmented off as the “enclosure tightens”, -with the chance of getting squashed in the door/gates closing.
Maybe add some chicken “traps”/scary industry tools to avoid, and then have the winning chicken either escape or survive in the center room… (-or just getting butchered last, before getting the “winner winner chicken dinner” displayed, as a final scene rolls across with a pie being served with a chicken foot poking out of ), or something…
:thinking: :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

There has been a few games that really tried to change them up. Almost always, they failed due to external factors.

SOS and The Culling initially did quite well, but they bombed.
Fortnite, as you know, has its building mechanics intact.
Paladins [Realm Royale] has a 4 player class based co-op.
Finally, Radical Heights brought in skill based movement and a roguelite-style money system.

SOS and the Culling fell apart after updates utterly destroyed the original purposes of the game and turned fans against them.

Fortnite ended up topping PUBG.

Realm Royale was doing quite well a while back, I think it’s a little too early to judge whether Hi-Rez is doing things right or not.

And, of course, Radical Heights was an okay-ish success that failed to offset the massive debts that LawBreakers left Boss Key in, so most of their developers had an exodus to any studio that would take them (and of course, they were all pretty much picked up on the spot). I believe most of them went off to Hi-Rez (Paladins, Realm Royale) or Epic (Fortnite), which would make sense considering their Unreal Engine experience. After that, CliffyB knew what was coming for the studio and eventually called it in.

4 Likes

what i mean is they are all regular shooters, in a “br” and its “setting”
open map, closing dome’ish, pew pew shooty guns stuff, against hoomans
and radical heights “might” have been slightly diff from fortnite in play (i can’t say never tried) but “on paper” it looked “the same”(to me)
and Fortnite’s added building mechanic might spice things up a bit, but it’s still the same basic setting and play, -open map, tightening “net”, pew pew gunz

initially culling stood out to me, like the closest to something that might seem real battleroal’ish even if maybe aiming more for the hunger games than actual battle royale, but still, had its own flair at the time (i even thought it was the first “thus true” br coming before pubg and such)

what i’m talking about is it’s been a year, it’s time to change tings up “radically” :smirk: (sry for the pun Boss Key, #F)
change the physics, the style, characters, setting, weapons (and yes i know some melee have been added in too),
even if Sky Noon isn’t exactly a BR, their neat alteration on guns/play still made it come of as a nice change in variation to me

what i’m saying is all these br games are all “too samey”, the “genre” is too similar(the way i look at it/they come off to me),
-where is "genital jousting"royale and all that silly stuff? and experimentation and innovation etc?
been a year it’s due time for someone to be brave enough and try something different than just “another :roll_eyes:” shooter/clone
(and i get from a business point it’s hard/“scary” to experiment etc since don’t know if it will pan out, but “copy pasting” still usually don’t steal too much from a market leader anyway)

hell stuff like lawbreakers or overwatch could literally have combined a sorta “king of the hill” style with the BR concept, start out big area, get smaller, and end up with having to get up/scale a “castle”/tower to be the literal king of the hill
the class variation there in such games/“hero shooters” would make larger maps potentially interesting in play (imo)
but hero shooters are “small”/confined spaces/maps, and BR are large maps but boring/regular +“similar” shooters… vary it up meng :man_shrugging: :smile:

or sci-fi, “guns in space”, aliens, or “rats”, be tiny, having to avoid big giant hazards and animals/people walking around, or gravity, physics, explosions, excitement, or magic, or or or… :dizzy_face:

and i’m in no way saying either would be popular and take off to be a success… just saying i’d like to see stuff like that… instead of just “more of the same”/the culling 2 or Island of Nyne etc…
i don’t know… think i’m just saying “make something that looks interesting enough -it would make me want to try out” :thinking: :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s my big problem with BR, there’s very little innovation in the genre, so if you don’t like one BR game, you’re probably not gonna like any of the other games in the genre. I guess you could consider it growing pains, the genre’s fairly new so developers are gonna focus on getting the base gameplay right before they start getting weird.

Maybe I’ll actually get into BR games if they add in a Titanfall 2 style of movement and more vertical level design.

3 Likes

That’s some stealthy plug right there :exclamation:

2 Likes

No, he’s onto me!

5 Likes