System Shock Remake is Delayed to 2020 By Night Dive.

I love that Night Dive takes these old games and makes them work in Steam. It’s like what GOG.com does/did. Where’s the artwork and manuals???:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

is it terrible of me i preferred the “old”(/now scrapped) remake instead ? :thinking:

“if i wanted retro; i’d play the remaster” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Short Answer!! No! Maybe both would be cool too.

3 Likes

Never play this game, never will, cuz people say it’s scary, and I don’t do scary but on counted cases.

But I do want a game that looks like I remember PS1 games looked like (think Vagrant Story or MGS) but that take advantage of what modern systems offer, like normal maps, more objects on screen, more complex AI, I would totally like something like that.

2 Likes

Wow, THAT’S a comeback.

I know it’s all temp art, but the artwork at the moment is a bit mixed for me. I love the use of nearest neighbor filtering and the juxtaposed mix of lighting/volumetric Unreal 4 effects and classic sprites dating back to 1995 and before, but I think things need a bit more tweaking to get right so that it looks a little more consistent in style.

I had no interest whatsoever in System Shock Remake after a few months showed how horribly off course they were getting, even before they went “whoops, no funds!” This is a huge return to form for the alpha, and I love that they’re making up for past errors by getting out a 0-0-0-0 release of the game for backers.

2 Likes

On the topic of the thread, by the way, @delenn13 The remake of this game has nothing to do with the original game. It’s just its own project that was started on Kickstarter. It’s had a bit of a terrible development cycle, though they seem to be fixing their mistake slowly.

If you’re really looking for a GOG style release, the closest we got was System Shock Enhanced Edition. It was the original game rebuilt in a Windows executable format. It was still actually quite a bit more substantial than I’d normally expect from a GOG release, and overall gave the game the polish it needed to get new players over its problems today. THEN THEY RELEASED THE SOURCE PORT.

System Shock EE on GOG and Steam now runs on the Kex Engine, the same engine used for the remasters of Turok 1 and 2. It runs at any framerate, includes Macintosh assets, updated shaders, fixed bugs, added new achievements and such, and even added unlocked resolution scaling (4K, anyone?). I highly recommend it, especially as you can get it for free on Tiwtch Prime right now.

2 Likes

And Night Dive had it’s hand in that one too. And I have it.:+1:t2:

3 Likes