Steam Is Eliminating Achievement Hunting Non-Games

They do. I’m very obsessive about my completion rate and I keep a close eye on it. To me Astats, Completionist.me, etc, all showcase different completion rates from Steam because Steam takes into account achievements regardless of expired licenses and these services do not. Which means that I have a higher completion rate on Astats because it doesn’t know I ever played Transistor then I do on Steam, who knows I got 1 achievement out of it through my best friend’s library.

That’s why I re-added Warframe to my Steam account after I removed it through support to make my Astats etc completion rate closer to the 58% Steam displays on my profile.

Now there is a slight percentage difference between them (around .5%) due to the fact that I have 1 achievement in Transistor and 1 achievement in Game Dev Tycoon.

Source: completionist.me’s recover page.

Given profile level is at least 10, the most reliable way to find expired licenses is through the profile edit page on steamcommunity.com as it exposes all apps that have unlocked achievements regardless of license state. This applies to most volatile licenses like Demos, Free-2-Play, Free Weekend, Family Shared, Removed and Refunded games. Stats of closed Alphas and Betas usually cannot be fetched anymore.

I’m waiting to see if anything changes in this new update Valve is doing.

I wasn’t clear. I apologize. What I meant to say is: if one could no longer get achievements out of games they don’t own, could they cards out of games they don’t own too? I’m not sure I ever got cards from family sharing or free weekends, but I was just wondering anyways. More along the lines of: why do achievements seem to be ‘above the rules’ in a sense.

Thanks @Fraggles and @Gnuffi for the insightful and well-thought speculations. We’ll have to wait and see, I guess. :blush:

7 Likes

FINALLY!!!

Good riddance to the achievement spam games. I’m surprised they survived as long as they did.

6 Likes

nop,
since you could never get cards from games you didn’t “own”, family share or not
and if a game that has achievements “disabled”, retroactively or not, it likely wouldn’t fall in the category of being able to drop cards now either, since trading cards/achievements “eligibility” is now linked

and achievements were likely “above the rules”, in the sense of unlocking via share, that they don’t make money :wink:
imagine how cheap bot farms could get away with literally printing $ if only 1acc in a x00 bot farm had to buy the game, and then just “family share” in cycles…
Achievements also work, from a marketing aspect, as an “incentive” to some, so could potentially have lead to a person buying a piece of dlc/x to be able to get 100% completion, or just buying the game because got tired of not being able to play “whenever” because main acc holder was active

the idea was to use it as a public goodwill lure; “look now we let you borrow your games, and we let you get achievements too, -because we are “Good-guy Valve” :+1:
-and it worked, people liked the idea, (ofc a few “semi-hunters” maybe less so because of your reasons), but just think of “platinum’ing” a game without actually having to spend the money on it :wink: sounds good eh? :yum:

… i forgot what i was about to say :confounded:

4 Likes

doesn’t remove them, just limits/slow them down in the beginning after “new release”
(hopefully slow enough to strangle them, tho doubtful)

4 Likes

Oh, i guess i got too excited that i didn’t read the announcement properly. Still, it took them long enough to address this.

5 Likes

“cotnent” is that image actually by Valve themselves?

3 Likes

I’m glad Steam did this. It’s a good compromise between their “anything goes” policy announced a couple of weeks back and people’s concerns over “non-games” flooding Steam. Achievement hunting games were definitely my biggest concern back when Steam announced their new policy, and I’m glad they’re trying to deal with the problem.
Although I do wonder how this move will affect online multiplayer games like TF2, which has 500+ achievements (I’m guessing a special exception is gonna be made there since it’s a Valve game).

5 Likes

I imagine it will be momentarily flagged, then reviewed by an algorithm that notices it makes money and removes the restriction.

9 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

I’ll take a wild uneducated guess and just say this may be the raisin for this move:

Btw, tagged every game by that “dev” as “fake game”, we gotta get those user tags up :3

4 Likes

Whaddaya mean, “”“fake games”""??? I see some great titles, such as “PUTIN, BOOBS, and TRUMP” and “Achievment Hunter: Spinner Edition”

4 Likes

You forgot “Kim Vs prostitute” ecks dee…

Let’s get 'em into the coin shop!!! Chrono plz!

/S

Btw, i gotta say, as a low budget gamer, it’s awesome valve has started to do something about their shop, even with enhanced steam i still can’t filter those people…

Too much crap on the storefront.

5 Likes

Well RIP 6 perfect games because i guess they were considered fakes. I was at 29 :cry:

5 Likes

I think it’s good idea and it might encourage indie devs to make achievements that really reward the player for their actions, and it might also remove some of the billion shovelware games that are on the platform.

5 Likes

Or we could just remove achievements all together, that would make me so happy.

6 Likes

please run for President! of Game Making :+1: :hugs:

4 Likes

A less extreme version of that would be to remove achievement stats from user profiles, and only show the most recent or rarest achievements a user has. Don’t count or show perfect games, don’t show the completion %, don’t show the total number of achievements anywhere, don’t rank games or users by completion. Steam created the user demand for achievement hunter games themselves with these features.

3 Likes

While I would agree mostly with this, I think the rarest achievements can be stacked in a really funny way. I played a not-so-popular game that became repetitive but I played enough hours to get some of the cumulative achievements, so now all of my rarest achievements come from a single game.

I didn’t know there is a ranking system, is this displayed somewhere? I don’t really care about achievements.

Yes, me too, how did achievements become a thing?

Now if Steam could remove all levels/badges/trading cards, and just stay on as a vender/host for games, that would just be wonderful.

1 Like

My rarest achievements all come from Binding of Isaac, but I don’t think that’s a problem.
I don’t think there’s a ranking system, I tossed that in there because that seems like the next step for this crap, and because I vaguely remember being able to see all my completed games separately from the rest, but I could be imagining that.

I don’t think achievements should be removed, since they’re fun to get for players (when designed well and not just there to be farmed), and they’re useful for developers.

I’d love to see the levels/badges/trading cards removed too, they seem like nothing but trouble, and they feed into people’s anxieties and compulsions, which is probably where the segment of Steam users that try to get all the badges and high levels came from.
It’s nice that developers have a recurring revenue stream via the cards, but it seems to help shady people more than legitimate devs. If Valve were to get rid of card bots, the marketplace volume would probably go down to the point where even legitimate devs would see very little income from cards anyway. Just get rid of it all =_=

3 Likes

Valve should remove profiles as well considering a lot of people set them to private or set some of the info like games owned etc to private making profiles at that point pretty pointless.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes