Steam Games for Bad Processors

Hi, I was wondering what games people would recommend for a laptop with a bad processor?

Just looking for fun games to play while travelling and away from my pc.

5 Likes

Check out the Low Spec Games Steam Curator:

Naturally, “low spec” varies and you should check the actual requirements for games, but it’s a good starting point.

There are also a lot of old games on GOG.com that will run on a toaster. Not Steam, but why cut yourself off from a lot of great stuff? I don’t know what to recommend since you haven’t stated any preferences.

16 Likes

Thank you, I’ll have a look.

4 Likes

since you didn’t give us any genres so here are some fun games i like for lowish-spec computers.

Terraria
RollerCoaster Tycoon® 2
911 Operator
Kingdom: Classic
Portal 1

but i do recommend check out the steam curators page and see if you find any curators that specialize in low end hardware or check out some youtubers that might specialize in low spec gaming like LowSpecGamer, RandomGaminginHD, & Budget-builds Official.

10 Likes

big fat +1 for terraria, hands down best game for low specced PC

9 Likes

Not knowing your specs, or what genres you like, here are a few games that I enjoyed and aren’t too demanding:

FTL
Slay the Spire
Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight
Papers, Please
Risk of Rain
Undertale
Downwell

And a big fat +2 for Terraria

11 Likes

Stardew Valley is a great game with fairly low requirements… Plus you can play the whole thing with a mouse, so you don’t need to worry about the keyboard.

5 Likes

Amazing game and I’m sure it runs on an abacus if you really wanted it to.

Might require a little more, but if your laptop still boots in this year of our lord 2018 it’s probably good enough.

7 Likes

Not too sure about Risk of Rain. It really tanks on the final level, or if you have ceremonial daggers.

+9001 for Terraria

5 Likes

“Thomas Was Alone” maybe?

5 Likes

i have a small recommendation… yet not affiliated with steam
Install a PSP emulator , install some well known games, and enjoy spending LOT of time

5 Likes

Can you recommend a good emulator (so I do not have to wade through 10000 forums)?

4 Likes

Of Course, give PPSSPP a try

5 Likes

*Looks in library* :expressionless:
Uh… Visual Novels & Puzzle Games? just of the top of my head.

4 Likes

broforce, mitsurugi kamui hikae (hack n slash)
pretty much rpgmaker, platformer kind of type game
spelunky ? classic but fun imo

4 Likes

My old laptop (which I’m currently using now) from 2011 runs dark souls 1 on a somewhat low resolution fine for the most part, so that’s pretty cool. Keeping it in offline mode helps too. Pretty much any 2d game will work (barring some of the newer fighting games)

4 Likes

Cheers! :+1:

1 Like

HERE WE GOOOOOOOOO

Bad processor, or bad computer in general (including your graphics card?)

If your problem is the computer’s specs in general, I have plenty of recommendations… but if it’s the processor itself only, you can generally play almost any game that wasn’t made for the Xbox One/PS4. I got away with playing on a crappy Pentium for years, and it took a LONG time for games to overpower it. So… I’ll assume you mean the former.

Psychonauts, Rogue Trooper, Rollercoaster Tycoon (1 > 2 lol), Age of Empires II (on disc if you can), Dawn of War: Dark Crusade (best SP) or Soulstorm (best MP), Half-Life 2 (not episodes), Star Wars: Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy, Tron 2.0, Unreal Tournament/UT2004, Star Wars: KotOR, MDK, Jade Empire, Red Faction, and Quake II are some of my personal favorites. None of these require an especially strong PC.

I have more recommendations, but I’d like to know what kind of games you prefer first.

Somebody mentioned PSP emulation and… well, I wouldn’t recommend it. I just generally don’t mess with emulators. It’s a good way to get some nasty malware on your computer, since it’s a legal grey area and “well, I was downloading these ROMs” will generally get you laughed at should you try and get any support. Aside from that, it actually IS illegal to download games you don’t own. The strictness of this does vary from nation to nation, but as a general rule, you had to at least have owned it at some point.

6 Likes

I think @delenn13 has a potato and could recommend some low spec good games

3 Likes

I would recommend “Wood” but I need to find the case first…

18 Likes