Spring Cleaning: Revisiting old purchases

My first purchase was Portal. I remember the moment I bought it at the Target in that thick Orange Box case, I remember opening the box… From there, the memory skips straight to me playing the game for the first time. It was epic.

Portal is why I got my Steam account, and I have never forgotten how much it changed my life. I was in love the moment I took my first, long-fall-booted step and heard GLaDOS over the intercom. I will probably be revisiting it when I get the chance. Since then, I have also gotten the sequel, Portal 2, and it is also one of my favorite games. Of the 100 or so games in my library, I think Portal can be considered the biggest game-changer for me. That’s also why I wrote a recommendation for it.

3 Likes

Mine is Dota 2, because I won a key for the beta period when I used to frequent PlayDota forums, I don’t play it anymore, and this made me create my steam account, but my real first purchase was Assassin’s Creed Revelations.

I couldn’t get the pirated version to work so I had to buy, hihi

5 Likes

@GanbaRANGER That is the weirdest coincidence Final Fantasy X is my hubby’s absolute favorite game of all time. I’ve seen him play it more than once and talk about it, spout trivia. Did you enjoy it too? :slight_smile:
And Chroma Squad was the game my late brother was always so hyped to play. I hope he got to play it before he passed. I know he shot me the happiest text ever when he finally purchased it!

@Gnuffi I still think I’m the only person alive that has never dropped in on the Counter Strike games. Watched numerous friends spend endless hours playing/talking about it but have never tried it. It took me till 2014 to finally give into all the people I knew using Steam and I’ve had mostly good experiences since by them they were very well-established already. That Half-Life 2 story hurts my heart honestly. My hubby wants me to start with them to give shooters a chance since I avoid that genre pretty heavily and always have. I’m tempted for sure! They really look fun. :smiley:

@Shalandir I finally gave Civ a chance with 4 I think. My late brother had followed them from 1-5 and told me millions of stories I didn’t care about until years later when I was obsessed with it, weirdly enough over a Christmas break too. It’s made me wonder if i"d actually like more 4x & Grand Strategy type games but I haven’t tried too many others ever.

@acb234 Ayyo Portal has always interested me but I’ve never had a copy to play through, still years later. :frowning: I honestly miss having physical games around. I love Steam but I want a library I can hold in my hands.

@coralinecastell Kentucky Route Zero looks awesome really. I spent last summer in Kentucky and I wanna go back more than anything.

@Enki You into the Assassins Creed games? I’ve never really tried them and have no clue where to start of if it’d be worth it.

5 Likes

If you want to try out more 4x games then Galactic Civilizations 2 is still free to grab right now. It is one of the old great ones. As for shooters, maybe Half-life 2 is a good first game to try, it’s very linear and hand-holdy, painfully scripted and as such I found it kind of boring and uninspired. But these qualities also makes it kind of safe so I’d suspect anyone can pick it up and play, probably why it garnered so much praise.

4 Likes

I’ve found there to be a pretty large gap between 4X and Grand Strategy, at least in my own personal definition and the gross perversion of the phrase by Paradox. In Paradox’s view, “Grand Strategy” has come to mean a 4X strategy game that allows the micromanagement of every aspect. This is in no way an insult to Paradox games, most are pretty good (although the amount DLC can be excessive), but that definition seems counterintuitive to what Grand Strategy was originally intended to refer to: Strategy games with massive scopes as opposed to smaller campaigns.

To detail that further: having a massive scope with an overarching plan to execute is pretty much the definition of strategy with the only form of flexibility and adaptability coming in the formation of lots of different strategies since you don’t know which one you’ll have to execute (until you slam into an obstacle, be it an enemy army, natural disaster, or some other hurdle). Tactics is from the bottom-up method of engagement that tries to implement the top-down strategy while directly reacting to an enemy. A good example of tactical+strategy are the modern XCOMs or Total War franchises, pairing a [fairly static] overall strategic plan with [very dynamic] tactical battlefield operations that are constantly having to change on the fly. Just because it’s turn-based at the tactical level doesn’t make it not dynamic, it’s just the developers choice for implementation since gamers seem to still love turn-based tactical games that give them time to think carefully about their choices.

TL;DR - just because you fell in love with 4X doesn’t mean you’ll love Grand Strategy. It can be daunting (yet rewarding). But as suggested GalCiv2 is free right now and the Endless franchise became my favorite 4X games until Stellaris debuted (which is Paradox’s attempt at less micromanagement in their games). All great, I can recommend many others too. :smile:

4 Likes

The first time I read about Assassin’s Creed was an article in a magazine about the first game on the series, the setting and history was very interesting to me and I love stealth gameplay. So it did caught my attention at the time but unfortunatelly I couldn’t play because I didn’t have any of the platforms that were able to run it.

It was one of the first things I did when I got my gaming PC, it was expensive so I had nothing left to buy games and I really wanted to play Assassin’s Creed, there were five of them already at the time! I’ve played most of their titles, but stopped after Black Flag, which is a great one if you’re like me and enjoy pirate stuff, I spent hours and hours just sailing and singing sea shanties with my crew.

If you ever want to play, I recommend you playing at least the first one, with the first assassin Altaïr, and the Ezio saga (II, Brotherhood and Revelations) which is the most acclaimed of the series, even the books are a fun read, me and my sister enjoyed them. Action is a big part of these games, but there are many times that you can instead approach with strategy and stealth. A lot of interesting places to explore, huge amount of real world history to learn from the period of which each game passes, just keep in mind that some stuff is altered to fit the games’ own story. I got to be friends with Leonardo da Vinci! :laughing:

7 Likes

Steam nicely reminded me that I wasted money on Dungeonland, which I would be almost thoroughly convinced is Paradox’s single worst game on Steam if not for Gettysburg: Armored Warfare. I had to actually open it again… disgusting.

That said, I’ve been downloading a ton of games I’ve already played a good deal of in the past, and I may actually play Mars: War Logs once more… partially to review the game now that I actually want to get more involved with a YouTube channel, but also to see how well the story actually branches. I know that The Technomancer really falls on its face compared to its predecessor when it comes to branching paths, so I’m a little interested in seeing just how far the game will go in breaking sequences and changing events.

5 Likes

My first Steam purchase was Terraria. I was in a Minecraft kick at the time and I didn’t even know Steam existed until it was required to download Terraria. When I finally got the money to buy it, I was pleasantly surprised when it was 50%! That’s how I was introduced to the glory of Gaben :grin:

9 Likes

I do enjoy it. It’s not my favorite (that’s Final Fantasy VIII), but Tidus is one of my very favorite video game characters. I know a lot of people find him annoying, but he’s got that go-on attitude, very red ranger like. Everyone around him is so resigned and hopeless, but he’s not from that world, so he’s a ray of hope and keeps everyone’s spirits up.

I think the game is a bit too easy and simple, but that’s understandable being the first FF on a new console, trying to expand its audience. It’s got one of the best stories. Made me cry.

Rides ze shoopuff??

I’m still super hyped to play that! It’s one of my favorite games even though I haven’t finished it yet, but, then again, I’m great at starting many games at once and finishing almost none of them. That’s ADHD for you. I do the same with books. So many books almost finished but not quite. Some of my favorite books I haven’t finished yet.

Chroma Squad is in a bundle on Fanatical for $1.99 by the way.

I’m alive and I’ve never even seen it.

I recommend Mass Effect. It’s a shooter but also like a movie. I’ve been through that game a half-dozen times. Mass Effect 2 is even better. That’s one of my favorite games I’ve never finished. (so no spoilers!)

I’m this way with books. I have over a hundred, and I’m still resisting the kindle. I’m glad that I can’t misplace or damage my games anymore, though.

I only played the first one, but (surprise) I never finished it. I used to start it up just to swordfight. I’m much too impatient to sneak around.

4 Likes

Mine was the venerable original Half-Life collection - the one that came with HL, Counter-Strike, Ricochet, and Team Fortress. My Steam account is 14 years old. :slight_smile:

Yes, but none that it has suggested to me. So far, I’ve booted up Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Loom, Titan Quest (and its darned unskippable intro movie), Warframe, and Karateka (the 3D remake). I’d rather be playing one of the Warhammer RTS games if I had the time to burn, all things being equal. Some others it has suggested I sink some time into include Warmachine: Tactics,
Witcher/Witcher 2, Chroma Squad, and Vanquish & Bayonetta. As you can see, RPGs, Tactics games, and character action games are my jam. I’m sure it’d be suggesting I put time into the Assassin’s Creed series if I hadn’t put a hojillion hours into the lot of them.

4 Likes

I had real easy suggestions today, all of which I had already installed. Tyranny, Minimetro and Dead in Bermuda. So that was nice of them.

4 Likes

Mine was this one (looks like I gave up on it pretty quick)

3 Likes

@randanicole I second the opinion that Counter-Strike is a horrible place to start playing shooters. It’s a place where you’ll get torn to shreds without a chance and laughed at constantly. We’re not talking about “getting rekt by your brother in Halo 2 or 007 Nightfire because you’re using the Madcatz controller.” We’re talking getting sniped across the map through a wall by someone who knows 100% of the map and proceeding to be called every single Russia-phobic and racial slur you know, and then some new ones. So, uh… no. Start off slow.

That said, I wouldn’t recommend Mass Effect. Even as somebody who mainly plays shooters, the original game (which is amazing, by the way) has some really odd difficulty spikes on pretty much every planet. There are few things as frustrating as getting one-hit or stunlocked to death 22 times and watching the same unskippable dialogue tree and cutscenes up to 40 times before getting through the section. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been a little contrarian about Mass Effect though, especially when it comes to my hatred of ME2 (dare I say, here-say) and my actually high regards for ME3 (…).

I’d actually check out some of the games that really aim for a more cinematic feel.
On that note:

No QuanticDream. No David Cage. You’ll be better for it. If you really want to hear my reasons, it’s not something I can explain, simply because I hate even talking about his games.

but i'll still try!

It makes me feel… gross. The way he bluntly throws in sex scenes, r-word scenes, shower scenes, and similar shock-value moments at the most awkward moments… his obsession with robot aliens and supernatural BS that makes no sense… his awkward pacing that goes from weird and boring training montages to supernatural slapfights in minutes… his games are burning clusterf***s, with the only improvement being that their so-bad-it’s-good value is diminishing with every entry. That doesn’t make the writing better, and doesn’t make the games enjoyable… they’re still bad. It just means that you don’t get the weird satisfaction of watching the story self-destruct into a weird meta-world of hobos forming an underground resistance to fend off Mayan cultists that worship ancient aliens as your main character comes back from the dead due to Area 51 radiation and still gets a creepy romance scene out of it, with of course no context or even buildup. Casual sex with a zombie, mkay. Won’t judge… oh, yeah, I’m completely judging. Cage is a creep.
… actually, is that a good thing?

Telltale got away with making a point-and-click without puzzles for a while because even if choices were fake all along, even if the gameplay was placeholder at best and absent at worst, it didn’t matter because people stuck around for the storyline. There’s a reason people still care about The Wolf Among Us, while critics fell for the art-school nonsense of Heavy Rain for maybe a few weeks before falling into “well, his last one was a bit rough” to hype up whatever garbage ideas he had to throw at the wall next.

He’s a real piece of work, and it’s a shame considering there’s clearly a lot of talent behind each new entry in the Sadness Quintology.

Bah, no more sadness. No more! I’m losing my mind just thinking about it.

If you’re looking for an easy game that tells a great story, the first few that come to mind are easily Remedy’s Quantum Break and Alan Wake (unfortunately AW is unavailable due to licensing issues, so keep your eye out for when it returns). If you have a PS4, skip David Cage’s trash and play the Uncharted Nathan Drake collection. If you have a PS3, see if you can get the original Uncharted releases, even if they’re a bit clunky at this point.

If you really want physical games, Amazon is your friend. I’ve got The Division, Overwatch, and Bulletstorm all staring me in the face, all sitting there as reminders that I should be wiser about spending money.

5 Likes

This was my very first Steam purchase…

:rofl: :joy:

Good thing they differentiate purchases and games…

This was my first game on Steam:

8 Likes

Mine was Volume. Interesting little puzzle/stealth game.

I played some Willy-Nilly Knight, and Shadow Warrior Classic Redux this weekend.

Lo Wang toilet humor is still pretty decent.

5 Likes

but bulletstorm good… :thinking: ? :man_shrugging: (can’t speak for the other two there tho)
srs, i found it to be very enjoyable, even with the pc port limitations

5 Likes

my first purchase as weird as it may sound was actually Move or Die

3 Likes

Mine was Portal 2, i cant regret it

4 Likes

Man everyone has such awesome classic games as their first purchase.

4 Likes

@Gnuffi I bought Bulletstorm out of spite when Gearbox pulled the original release from Steam and demanded $50 for it. I bought two copies of the GFWL Limited Edition for $15 and honestly, I didn’t have a great time. It looks beautiful even today, its PC port isn’t the worst thing ever (I did decrypt the INI and disable FPS smoothing by force for 144 FPS though), and… well, the praise kind of ends there.

The co-op horde mode was garbage and I found the singleplayer to be largely forgettable. Unlike Crackdown, or as it was commonly referred to, “The Halo 3 beta disc,” I can kind of see why this game was seen as little more than “the Gears of War 3 beta disc.” Maybe it’s because I played Vanquish just before this game, but I found its gunplay to be only serviceable, I found the two weapon limit and constant ammo starvation infuriating (and even counter-productive, you can’t actually have fun and do stupid things if only the basic assault rifle will ever be loaded), and the level design was mediocre.

While I liked the actors, the writing was just terrible-- I know it was supposed to be partially ironic, but it really is just a terrible script that’s given some hope by great acting. Where have I heard that one before…

headshotgtm_cage

Ugh. Forget I said anything. I do like the ideas of Bulletstorm, but they aren’t done well. I’d recommend Vanquish easily above this-- it got a fantastic $20 PC port with deferred lighting and no LoD scaling, plus proper texture filtering and everything else it needed to look like a modern game. It has similar concepts but with way more polish, ridiculous boss battles, and, wouldn’t ya know it-- it ALSO has Steve Blum as a main character!
SpacetasticSteveBlum
But yeah, I really didn’t enjoy the game at all even at that price, and I absolutely wouldn’t recommend the marginally improved $50 Gearbox port. Screw that! It’s not like they even fixed the DRM that plagues the game-- they swapped GFWL for something even WORSE, Denuvo Anti-Tamper. Why the hell do you deserve $50?

6 Likes