Share a guilty pleasure or something you wouldn't tell someone you know IRL

@Fraggles yeah I saw it’s called pre-party/pre-gaming in some places of the world! I think it’s super cool Brazilians call it “esquenta” (“warm-up”), and usually add to it loads of cachaça.

@techparadox Cool! I never had low-end whiskey at an esquenta before. I guess we favor cachaça over it. Anyways, I think your choice of drinks is really interesting! Says a lot about local culture. Do you live in the US? (if you don’t mind me asking)

Oooooh I also love “fancy” beer! A new beer store opened DANGEROUSLY CLOSE to my house and I’m basically doomed now… are there any beer brands you recommend? The store I mentioned sells beer from all over the world so I may be able to get my hands on one of your recommendations.

I’m bookmarking your post so I never ever forget this expression and this comparison.

6 Likes

Yep. I’m from the Midwest, which explains a lot of the choices we made in alcohol selection.

My suggestions usually hinge more on “what types of beer do you like to drink?” than specific brands. Do you like beers that are more dry/bitter and hoppy? Look for things like Pale Ales (or IPAs - India Pale Ales), or Bitters/English Bitters. More of a fan of lighter beer that has an even flavor profile? Look for blonde ales, weissebier, or possibly amber ales. Like your beer thick and dark, with a malty profile? Stouts or Porters.

I tend to like my beers darker, so Guinness is in frequent rotation. I also like red beers, so Smithwick’s and Killian’s Irish Red are frequent picks. Along with those, I frequently pick up Harp, and Bass. Usually the Bass goes with the Guinness when I’m making a black-and-tan.

Hope these help!

7 Likes

Hmm, a guilty pleasure. I’m a Whiskey (whisky too) man myself, and every once in a while I enjoy a good pipe smoke along with it. I hate the smell of cigarettes and even most cigars, but theres something about a pipe and a slow drink in the evening (especially with the cliche book and fireplace too :smiley:) that really just feels great to unwind with.

7 Likes

As C.S. Lewis said, “A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth.” I always assume that someone enjoying a pipe with a good book and a neat tumbler of Bushmills / Jameson / Tullamore Dew falls into the former category, rather than the latter. :smiley: I generally hate the smell of cigarettes or cigars, but pipe smoke just has that warm, inviting aroma to it.

8 Likes

That’s the stuff, my friends that tried It get so frustrated with my pipes, It really gave me perspective about failure to a certain extent and how It’s… Just part of the process.

No way first time around doing anything you’re going to 100% nail It.

I’m really interested in drink + tobacco combinations btw I’ve never get around to do it but I always hear about It on reviews.

On the topic drinks & beer:

Anyone drinks Kalimocho? It’s cheap wine and coke like 1:1 (or back in the golden days of @techparadox)

We even have bars that sell barrels of the stuff (tiny and big) and have long tables so It’s like a pre-party place.
Curious if somebody has that but with another name or something.

And Paulaner It’s my favourite bar-beer and pre-party beer Estrella Damm or Estrella Galicia.
Also Guinnes ^^

Not guilty pleasures at all.

Maybe the ocasional over napping when I’m not supposed to > <

6 Likes

I’ve not come across this expression before; but I think I get the gist:

‘Awkward, highly likely to fall out, with the possibility of being eaten by a large water-dwelling predator’

That about right?

10 Likes

I’m thinking of picking up a second pipe when I return to Europe next. Unfortunately I haven’t had the time to use mine nearly as much as I’d like. I agree with the beginning difficulty, it took me several tries to get the hang of starting and keeping my pipe lit.

4 Likes

When I tried an aromatic tobbaco for the first time I had so many re-lits again and didn’t really got the full taste.
My friends would go "Well that’s a shame :confused: " and I was like… well It’s the first time, It’s okay to mess it up.

The second time… back to normal, and I improved bc I was chill about It. Welp It died out… let’s re-lit.

And that’s something to take onto other aspects of life, some mistakes are bound to happen, be chill and keep learning, It’s a natural part of doing stuff ^^

Also: https://www.flogglewerks.com/ great great site, good prices and quality, awesome service, they have it all!! (They don’t pay me for this tho :confused: )

3 Likes

I went to style my hair once and instead of putting in hair mousse, I had mistakenly put in builder’s foam.

I just pretended it was a new hat that I wouldn’t take off for weeks. I think I got away with it. No one could really tell.

10 Likes

I was gunning more for the “f----ing close to water” reference, but coincidentally enough, you just described my sex life back in college. :rofl:

9 Likes

Never drank this before! But seems like easy enough to do. Go me a recipe because I thought it’d mention which kind of wine I was supposed to use but since it just states ‘red’… I’ll try it ASAP and report back to you, @Rilover :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We have “Kalimocho bars” so to speak and when we order If we pay an extra euro we ask for blackberry bc It goes well (Like those liqueur things with little alcohol, they’d just sprinkle a lil’ bit (depending on the liters ob) but you can ask for anything really.

If we are drinking on the street like halloween or whatever (I don’t know If this is normal there but everybody does this when It’s like “an event” public holiday-thing, drinking on the street I mean) Botellón in Spanish.

It’s a classic, we’ll buy a water carafe ?¿ ( This :point_down: )

5 L or so and mix It just out of the supermarket (be sure to open it every once in a while bc gas) and we’ll be good to go. ( + Some glasses & ice ob).

Pro Tip: Don’t mix wines, don’t get creative, just good ol’ cheap ass wine It’s fine. Hope you enjoy :blush:

We call It just Mocho, Wikipedia (The Spanish article) says that in Brazil It’s called vinhoca, ring any bells?

And I’ve never seen It in a plastic bag like the English article says lmao :joy: and nobody says those weird names in Spain :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

Agreed…that seems mindbogglingly pointless. Just get a bottle of cola, remove half of it’s contents in some way (drink or decant) and then replace with red wine. Put cap back on and gently shake. Why make it so much more complicated (and messy) with bags and other paraphernalia?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t shake It to much bc of the Coke yeah hahaha we just get a big-water-thingy (It’s seems kinda wasteful but those things are really cheap and easy to carry so… mwe :confused: )

Sometimes we forget If the party is far or whatever and I’ve been really scared by opening the bottle to a massive bang and the cap flying :joy::joy:

Btw @xist the link I posted… You see it in English?

5 Likes

Yes…I just edited out the es prefix so I could actually understand it.

5 Likes

That was the idea yeah once in the wiki you can change the language easy.

I’ve been getting random (Like in not every link, always Spanish) translations whenever somebody posts a game with steam links.

So I was just checking, thanks ^^

4 Likes

Wikipedia is (pardon my French) shit so no, it doesn’t. I looked it up everywhere but we just simply don’t say that hahahaha I think people who write on Wikipedia drink far too much “vinhoca” before doing so hahaha :joy:

HAHAH! This sound SO much like the crap I do on a daily basis and when I’m drunk. In your place I’d have lost an eye already I swear hahahah

Anyways, thanks for the tips. As soon as I have an occasion to celebrate, I’ll get my paws on some coke and wine and I’ll think about adding some liqueur as well!

5 Likes

I am all about Sangria. I will usually polish off a pitcher myself. What it’s only fruit right? :smiley:

5 Likes

I’m sorry… what does that mean? Hahaha English expressions catch me off-guard all the time! Glad to know you like Sangria as well, friend! So refreshing and delicious. Do you add soda too? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Check out the Urban Dictionary…

6 Likes