Shadow of the Tomb Raider | Discussion?

A new Tomb Raider has been announced earlier today,

• Is anyone interested?
  • Do you even like the two rebooted games?
  • Which new engine will Square Enix have created for this one?
NSFW

Will people still go on about her boobs for some reason?

I like these games, so I am happy enough that I will get something I enjoy playing but do you?

Teaser Trailer:

8 Likes

I am a little behind on my Tomb Raider playingā€¦ I still am midway through the Tomb Raider: Definitive game on my PS4. I got my Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 shipped to me the day it was releasedā€¦ I still have it sitting on a shelf and itā€™s still in its shrink wrapā€¦ :zipper_mouth_face::disappointed_relieved::sob: I have the usual #HaveTooManyGames syndrome, and definitely not enough timeā€¦ So I am going to take a pass on this one. Donā€™t get me wrong, I am totally interested, but I am going to take a backseat on buying games at full price and playing them when they are 5-10 dollars on saleā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™m kind of glad it is coming out but I may wait until it is reduced in price for the same reasons you listed.

4 Likes

Not to mention, I have such an attachment to the older games that I played back in the day, I have been seriously contemplating buying the old school Tomb Raider I, II, and III on Steam for quite a while nowā€¦ just for nostalgia sakeā€¦ I am not even sure if they will get played, I spent so much time on them back in the day that I would just feel at ease with them sitting in my Steam accountā€¦ lolā€¦

4 Likes

Yeah, I remember them well, unfortunately, they do not hold up too great these days. Iā€™d rather leave them in the past now.
I still remember the janky camera, dodgy physics and early 3D engines, they are really offputting then, nevermind playing them now, well, for me anyway.

7 Likes

OMG! Her entire chest is a single rectangular prism! My memories are a bit fuzzy I seeā€¦

5 Likes

Yeah and that is why I believe there was such an uproar about the lassieā€™s (who plays Lara in the games now) boobs not being ā€œBig enough for Lara.ā€ They were never big, they were just there, so we could see she was indeed a female character in a game, the silly sods.

What a thing to complain about.

6 Likes

Out of the countless centuries of human history, I was alive at a time when we could get upset because a female figure didnā€™t look like this:
triangle

I love the 2000ā€™s.

6 Likes

iā€™m okay with the reboots, my main gripe is the ā€œitā€™s not tomb raiderā€, in the sense iā€™d like there to be more and ā€œbetterā€ platforming/less qteā€™s and more + better puzzles, -actual ā€œtomb raidingā€
i donā€™t mind the ā€œweā€™re now just a regular 3rd person shooty bang bang cover action gameā€-thingy, iā€™d just like a little more of what it was ā€œsupposed to beā€(in my mind)
-granted it was a bit odd shooting so many bats and bears, or the odd T-rex back then, but i feel like iā€™m 90% kneecapping some dude and only grave robbing at a retireeā€™s leisure nowā€¦

oh: and bring back the pyramid boobs ofc, -women with roundly or lifelike shapes just freak the hell out of me :smile:, iā€™m human; and weā€™re clearly not made to handle real stuff like that :laughing:
-and the exploding cheat code too thx (swear, i used it to actually see her explode, and not that other thing) :joy:

7 Likes

@Gnuffi Funny thing is, Iā€™m the opposite about it. I donā€™t think the Uncharted style is necessarily a bad direction, as it doesnā€™t rule out real puzzles. Itā€™s the same way that Halo and Unreal Tournament take place in the same genre; you can take this same perspective, these same mechanics, and just make a completely different game by design. TR could stand apart from competition despite the similar pacing with puzzles and logic mixed in with the senseless psychotic violence. Thereā€™s room for both :wink:

My real issue with Tomb Raider is its character, though. Itā€™s kind of funny to come straight from whining about Mass Effect Andromeda to this, because I felt more or less the same way about the characters. What brought this game from ā€œokayā€ to ā€œmediocre-badā€ in my eyes was the way its storytelling is handled. I know Iā€™ve ranted about this in the past, but I find it hard to be engaged in a story that constantly interrupts itself for torture, irritating screams that make you uncomfortable for playing on your speakers, and an obnoxious fake-British accent from an actually-British actress. Iā€™ve yet to see Crystal Dynamics prove they can handle the Tomb Raider IP, and combined with its publisher, my hype level is in the negative for SotTR.

SotTR? More likeā€¦ SautER this abused license back together, eyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

5 Likes

agree, and i loved that part too, itā€™s nice and satisfying -at times
just like there was too much of it, like i said, 90% kneecapping
iā€™d be happy if we could get 50/50 :wink: but iā€™d be okay with 60/40 too :smile:
(the ā€œpuzzleā€ parts of things like tomb raider resident evil silent hill etc, was always the stuff i enjoyed more over the combat),
-hence why iā€™d like a tad bit more of it in these ones, since "shooty bang axe to the face"games are abundant, so i feel more gratified when i ā€œfigure something outā€ or make it past/survive a non qte jump/climb :smile:

4 Likes

That is the one thing I really dislike about the newer games. Her constant groaning and screaming out of her, granted she is going through a lot but I still think to myself, ā€˜Tone it down a bit lass, eh?ā€™

3 Likes

This stuff:

Is pretty much my main gripe with the Tomb Raider reboot and to a certain extent AAA gaming in general these days. Itā€™s fine to have these sort of games of course, but when every game tries to do these same things and the majority of them does it really badly it just gets stupid. That was rather cryptic if you didnā€™t watch the video though. itā€™s just 12 minutes and makes some good points.

5 Likes

Good video, good points.
I definitely disliked these parts more in the Uncharted games as I got near their end but I felt Tomb Raider had just enough to keep me interested.

Never seen that ladā€™s videos before, so thanks for sharing @Fraggles, I now have someone new to watch on YouTube.

4 Likes

@Fraggles That video somehow reminded me about Dead Space.

Those games used setpieces incredibly well. Rather than relying on jumpscares, many of the setpieces actually forced YOU to start them. Youā€™d have to pull a lever, knowing that a vent would let in a whole lot of unwanted guests. Youā€™d have to stick your hand in a power circuit, knowing that once you fix the cargo lift, youā€™ll have to dive right into a whole lot of enemies. Youā€™ll walk into a room that you already know is going to lock behind you. Dead Space 2 even had a genius moment where it forced you to go BACK through a setpiece youā€™d already encountered before. Youā€™d have to wait for a few minutes while being ā€œdecontaminated,ā€ then you had to pass through the same checkpoint again later on-- you already knew what was going to happen, and knew to stock up beforehand.

I miss Visceral :frowning:

4 Likes

5 Likes

I canā€™t even finish Tomb Raider 2013 because of shaky camera giving me nausea. Something that never happened to me before.

6 Likes

(flips camera upside down)

ARE YOU IMMERSED YET?!?!?!?! ARE YOU?!?! CAN YOU FEEL THE REALISM???!

The effects are pretty excessive in TR2013, so I canā€™t really blame you. As long as you donā€™t mind a lack of parkour, the gunplay felt pretty similar to good olā€™ Rogue Trooper, except that I actually cared about the story in that gameā€¦ oh, and the imaginary camera wasnā€™t on an imaginary boat in an imaginary storm.

Yes, Iā€™m advertising Rogue Trooper again. Yes, I know I always do this when discussing TR2013, okay? Itā€™s a good game.

8 Likes

I got pretty far, but I always had to stop playing because of that, even tough I wanted to continue. 21 hours in, it didnā€™t help much that Iā€™m obsessed with exploration and collections. :nauseated_face::ok_hand:

1 Like