Schools r banning Fortnite WTF

If kids don’t want to learn or are bored they’re going to do something else. Granted before phones it was passing notes, checking on their tamagotchi/giga pets, playing hand held / watch games etc. I was one of these kids who would sometimes bend the rules, but once my teacher told my parents… it ended immediately.

I agree with some posters that it’s stupid to bring this up just because of the popularity of Fortnite/PUBG. When Game Boy and Game Gear were gaining popularity, our schools banned them for this reason. It’s nothing new… just this generations version of it.

What surprises me the most, how people can be good at these games on mobile while im stumbling around losing every match on the PC.

5 Likes

The problem is kids’ brains nowadays are so overloaded with TV, games, and entertainment that everything irl is boring to them man, that’s why there must be limits to this, especially at a young age. Even I, as a 38-year-old, spend most of my “working” time just thinking (while I am in fact actually doing the work, obviously) about whatever I’m gonna watch or play as soon as I’m done working, as my brain is just addicted to that stuff and most stuff is just boring, so what do u think kids’ brains are like…

(In fact, it’s gotten so bad that even gaming has become boring to me, lol, I usually play in mini-sessions now of 15-30 min and then I need to watch something or come look what’s up here or whatever. When I was younger and whenever I had the opportunity [and later the freedom to do so] I would also pull all-nighters or play 18h a day, now I simply couldn’t do that nor would want to, though I don’t love games any less.)

4 Likes

And now this…

Hello??? Just kick them to the curb…

Poor game…:confounded:

As far as the games at school…Why should it be banned? It shouldn’t even be an issue. School is for learning and you don’t play games. School isn’t the place for games. I do not understand why kids would even think it is allowed. Phones should be off during class time.

One phone call to my parents would have done it for me. I would be sitting very gently for about 3 days and my phone would NOT be seen…as it would be in my pocket or purse…

2 Likes

I think we’ve all been losing our sanity for a long time, not just gaming-related, it has become more obvious now that we have smartphones, you can get one for cheap and entertain yourself almost as much as on a PC wherever you are which for some people and esp. kids would be bad. lol

…or maybe I’m just getting old, we used to play shitty counterstrike game on our Java cellphones for few minutes before school :smiley:

1 Like

@harith Essentially, Kotaku is a living meme and home of Gamergate. That’s the furthest I’ll go in talking about their history; Chrono so far has been almost 100% free of arguments, tied between Canadian sports and Rainbow Six Siege launch day servers in terms of its nice community… I’d love to keep it that way. They have a track record of trying to tie EVERYTHING into politics, especially of the American variety, even when it’s entirely unwarranted and irrelevant. I’d give a few examples, but they’re all so far-reaching that you should probably just look them up for yourself for the laughs. Remember when they wrote a passive-aggressive boycott article for the Tripwire Hope for Orphans Humble Bundle because it supported a Russian Orthodox Christian Orphanage? That was a thing…

They’re kind of rolled up with Polygon as the home of nontroversies and bad reviews, though Polygon takes the cake in that regard for a video that will live in infamy:

Plenty of people look to Polygon and Kotaku as a source of ironic fun to be had. I know this video hasn’t aged well as 2018’s been a pretty bad year, but back when things were calmer, a “review” for H3VR that was entirely made up of talking about how horrible guns are (WHY WERE YOU REVIEWING A GUN SIMULATOR?) was pretty hilarious to think about.

That said, don’t get this confused with the whole Takahashi-Cuphead thing. To be honest, the witch hunt against Dean Takahashi was completely unwarranted; he was randomly called on to get footage of Cuphead when he’s terrible at platformers (he was the only one there working for VentureBeat), and coupled with the fact that the game was hard to begin with, they ended up writing an article lightly poking fun at Dean for completely failing the intro levels of the game. That managed to spin into the entire internet digging up his entire review history to tear him to shreds, including a retracted Mass Effect review that sounds very similar to what I said about the game during its first half, and generally just trying to destroy him. Even TB joined in on the witchhunt with a few dedicated SoundCloud clips that I felt were completely in bad taste. Takahashi’s not someone to wrap into the whole “game journalism is trash” bunch, because he genuinely does have a lot of things to say and has his heart in the right place despite a few missteps here and there.

3 Likes

It can be blocked pretty easy, but, at least where I teach, so many kids have data it wouldn’t matter. Games use so little data that it’s a minimal hit to their total data usage.

Additionally, my board has Netflix blocked. This stops none of the kids. They load up a VPN and watch it anyway. They’d do the same thing with fortnite.

1 Like

k, thx, as I said, I rly rly wouldn’t know, i got there through gamespot, whose news section i check daily, and i’ve never rly visited other gaming sites like those u mentioned, nor ign, unless gamespot or some web search get me there. I don’t think gamespot is great either btw, but it’s just practical to know if something’s up.

I think @xist was talking about some system that completely blocks all data in the vicinity that doesn’t go through hard lines, so it would block their data too, though i don’t know if that is possible, rly. Also, wouldn’t that completely block the phone signals also? (cuz data goes through the phone connection anyway?)

1 Like

Some words of wisdom that were given over 1000 years ago on how to raise kids:

Till they are 7, treat them as if they were the son of the king left in your care; from 7-14, treat them as prisoners; and from 14 on, treat them as if they were your right hand (your ministers).

Of course, these ages can shift depending on the child and their traits.

2 Likes

Yup, a cell phone jammer would create a signal dead zone. Then I assume you could hard block access on the network or individual PC’s.

2 Likes