Redstone 4 a.k.a. Windows 10 April Update

I like 8.1 just fine.

I updated to 10 when it came out, but dug out my old 8.1 disc and went back.

I was happy to be able to find all the settings again. And I like the fullscreen start menu; it’s good for my ADHD brain to not have icons on my desktop.

2 Likes

Disc… :cd:… The physical appearance of such things are elusive in my mind due to too long not seeing one…

j/k j/k… :rofl:

I still have a console and I like to have physical discs for that…

2 Likes

From my experience with 8.1 and 10 they feel just the same except the forced updates in 10.
7 is still more reliable imo but 8.1 gets far more hate than it deserves.
edit: and I never use the start menu so that part of 8 never bothered me.

5 Likes

My roommate always seems to get those forced update notifications while playing Super Meat Boy and it crashes the game!

2 Likes

I was fine with 8.1 as well since I didn’t use the tiled start menu.

3 Likes

This is what I use… IrfanView is an image viewer, editor, organizer and converter program for Microsoft Windows. It can also play video and audio files, and has some image creation and painting capabilities. I haven’t installed it in a while: I don’t think it had any PUPs in it. It will take over all your graphic and video extensions so watch what is checked. As I installed it, I went through the list and only checked .gif I do use the graphic stuff ever once in a while though.

4 Likes

I use Image Viewer | Photo Viewer | Image Resize | XnView for all my image viewing needs. Free, works on windows, mac and linux, has some limited editing abilities and a whole mess of plugins you can bake in as you desire. Takes a little setting up to make it behave the way you want but once you get it sorted it’s pretty good.

4 Likes

I may have to switch…lol

2 Likes

Oh, is that why my computer has been constantly having weird screw-ups all week that randomly fix themselves the next day, with frequent no-warning hard resets and Microsoft processes eating up my performance… not to mention frequent disconnects in Rainbow Six Siege and even SWAT 4?

…I hate Windows 10. I hate it with a ___ing passion.

2 Likes
6 Likes

End of Win 7’s support, just like when XP’s support ended in 2015 :frowning:

You might think, “Cool! No more Microsoft mucking about with the OS”.And yes, in a way that would be a God send, however should you still be using the OS the thing will be vulnerable to hackers and such nasties.

Also IIRC newer mobos and processors don’t even support Win 7, that is you can’t even install the OS on newer hardware. So like it or not, Win 10 seems to be teh future… until Microsoft releases their next OS.

End of support flow chart found on the net:

3 Likes

It took a few minutes to download, install and update but here I am now on Redstone 4 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

im still on win vista LUL

5 Likes

I can understand not wanting to move to 10, but I’d at least get off of Vista and to 7 or 8.1 if you can since they don’t offer all of the security patches as the newer versions.

I finally did update to the April Update and the only problems I had were that it changed the ordering of my monitors so instead of 2-1-3 it’s 1-2-3 now (nice), but I had to reapply my ICC color profiles for my second screen and then my Corsair VOID headset stopped working so I had to reinstall the drivers. After that and a reboot, I was good.

5 Likes