Red Faction GO-RILLA is Being Remastered

Nobody saw rampage yet?

First thing that popped in my mind was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOU2mai9TE

XD

3 Likes

I was a little nervous starting off since Iā€™d read a review from Destructoid absolutely panning the remaster for technical problems and being in general a bad game. Now Iā€™ve played about two hours, and I can say without a doubt that my suspicions were correct-- that review was full of crap.

TL;DR: Itā€™s perfect in every wayā€¦ wow.

KAIKO destroyed my expectations. Sure, the cutscenes are the same, butā€¦ Iā€™ve been playing with headphones, and so far, the audio seems to be fine. The character voices no longer make me cringe in pain, Iā€™ve yet to find a single muddy wall texture, Parker and Dust both look far more distinct than before (thatā€™s how far Iā€™ve gotten), and in general the game is just an asbolute pleasure. Iā€™ve played for about 20 minutes of multiplayer and 2.25-ish hours of singleplayer. Not to mention, I got into a multiplayer match in seconds-- I was never able to even play it in the original due to low player count.

itā€™s Red Faction Guerilla as I remembered it-- without the pop-in, without the shadow dithering, with no obvious texture problems, just the constant barrage of things to detonate, punch, sledgehammer-ify, blow up, and ram. I just played my favorite mission in the whole game (Start Your Engines) again, and it was every bit as messy, chaotic, and thrilling as I remember. Then I took a mail courier interception job, stuck 4 charges on the courier, trailed with the slowest vehicle in the game, blew him up, and got sidetracked for about five high-profile buildings before I accidentally dropped a building on myself. If you read that paragraph and arenā€™t searching the store page for this game in another tab, I donā€™t know what your deal is.

Performance-wise, itā€™s about the same as last time around. I played maxed out while recording with OBS at 1080p, 30 FPS, 8000 bitrate (AMD Encoder) on an FX 8300 and R9 280. I had a 30 FPS cap on the game while doing this to ensure a good recording, and it felt perfect. My only complaint is the fact that it seems to have a stutter from time to time during high alert phases. I donā€™t know whether this is related to spawning in lots of enemies, autosaving my ridiculous killcount, or streaming in more buildings I havenā€™t smashed yet. It didnā€™t really get in the way of the game, and isnā€™t a problem when Iā€™m just playing (recording = extra CPU usage, I guess), but I hope KAIKO cleans that up as itā€™s the only real problem I had.

To anyone who hasnā€™t played this game yet, thereā€™s never been a better time to play it. This is INCREDIBLE. It feels like a modern game, and itā€™s $20 (currently 50% off if you buy it now for $10, or $18 if you want Darksiders 1+2/Full Spectrum Warrior/Titan Quest/RF Armageddon on the side). Do yourself a favor, refund whichever game you werenā€™t really enjoying from the sale and PICK. THIS. UP.

Iā€™ll definitely be reviewing it now after all the bashing Iā€™ve seen of it. I gotta speak up on this, obnoxiously grating voice with zero narration practice or not.

While Iā€™m here, I might as well talk about the multiplayer. I very rarely noticed any lag at all. This feels like a slightly toned down version of exactly what I wanted from Crackdown 3-- countless modes that take full advantage of the fact that hammers and explosives tend to break things. You can make your own cover, rhino-charge through a wall to finish someone off, or do anything else you can possibly think of. Itā€™s absolutely insane, the netcode feels fine, and the asymmetrical approach of Siege mode in particular makes it all feel like itā€™s in a league of its own.

More than anything, I have to say it: THQ Nordic is incredible. This got a day-one GOG release, costs $20, was given to us for free, includes the old 32-bit RF:G, and got a 50% off sale at launch, despite the fact that itā€™s an actually competent remaster that fixes all my problems with the game. Itā€™s a long streak of amazing behavior from a publisher nobody even knew until about five years ago, and theyā€™re doing an amazing service by working their way up to AA/AAA level presence while doing their best to serve a real community they have. Iā€™ve never seen anything like it since CD Projekt RED. They really deserve support.

Iā€™ll say it again. GET THIS GAME.

3 Likes

some of those negative reviews tho, arenā€™t pc gaming glorious:grey_question: image :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah, a mix of understandable frustration over crashes (seems to be more of an outlier thing, thankfully) and a bunch of incredibly whiny and ill-researched comments. I read one review all about how as a $30 upgrade it was a waste-- surely if you got the game for free as an owner, you would knowā€¦ that itā€™s free for owners? Why and how would you ā€œbuy the Steam Edition insteadā€ if the Steam Edition is included, as it unambiguously throws this fact in your face the moment you click on the store page?

Anyway, I really do want to make a video covering it if only to set aside any doubts. Iā€™ve had an amazing time replaying the game, way more than I ever expected. Iā€™m already all the way to Dust after two hours of plowing through everything on Normal.

I already have some test renders and stuff and a few scenes done, so hopefully Iā€™ll be done by the end of the week.

2 Likes

@Truly

Iā€¦ have been searching for thisā€¦ for so long. I had no idea what it was from, I just remembered the audio.

Thank you. Iā€™m taking this clip and cherishing it forever.

I did manage to sneak it into the video, thanks to your services (rough draft below):
https://youtu.be/PNd4VbUJJoA?t=1m29s

2 Likes

I have just seen this topic and went to go look for it

its already 50% off on humble.

like wow this might break the record for fastest time 'til a sale of 50% or more since release.

It launched at 50% off.
So my initial idea of buying the package to get the remastered at a cheaper price would have backfired and youā€™d have ended up paying $5 more instead. We knew of course not that a launch sale was intended. But sorry if anyone went and bought the bundle on my recommendation.

1 Like

didnā€™t know that sorry people :blush:

1 Like

Hey, that bundle still included Darksiders and Titan Quest. Not a bad purchase in the slightest if you did go for it.

Heh youā€™re very welcome dude! I canā€™t help but think of it whenever I hear gorilla.

2 Likes