Recommendations for a brand-new mic?

np, i enjoyed reading it, so sorry to hear, what an experience,
really sucks when manufacturers try to use that “obsolete/compatibility” escape…
but impressive service from newegg this round
i really hope your experience with the 1070 is better, -and that it still manages to live up to your workload needs somewhat decently

1 Like

@Gnuffi Yeah, I didn’t really need anything as powerful as the Vega. I more or less got backed into a corner by the fact that AMD stock is horrible, you literally can’t find a 480 or 580 in the world if you tried thanks to the Bitcoin miners eating up cards left and right. Not to mention, AMD is VERY slow to restock their items. It’s kind of a vicious cycle.

That means it’s store credit, so I might as well go all out on the Nvidia side of things now. I’m thinking either a 1070ti or 1070 as both are within my price range, and I’m not quite sure which yet. If I go with a 1070, I may have enough to fit more RAM into my system (or if that’s too expensive, probably ReCore since I’ve been interested in that game for a while), which would be nice. Otherwise, I’m sure I’ll be happy either way. At the risk of going off-topic, any thoughts on whether the 1070ti is worth it or not?

1 Like

That sucks that you cant get a 480 or 580, Ive been using nvidia my whole life untill my recent build when i used a 480 and I much prefer it so far (i have had this build for about a year now.). Also from what i have seen on videos and my friends experience it does seem like the 1070ti is worth it i hope you have more luck with that card.

1 Like

tbh i haven’t even checked the specs on the 1070ti release
but i imagine there should be plenty of performance-dollar comparison charts around which are always helpful
-then ofc taken into account local/actual retail pricings, since those are the key factor,
i know for “me” it’s still the “old”/lower cards that are best performance-priced (damn miners) -hell just 1080ti jumping from 800 to 1-1.2k+ made it not so great value all of a sudden

i got a feeling volta(if predictions are true) is gonna be hell for gamers with crypto currency miner competition
-tho then again why wouldn’t nvidia cater to them, if they can “consume” cards solid like that

2 Likes

I believe there are now computers that you can get that are much faster at mining crypto currency then any gaming card can but I am not 100% sure.

1 Like

there is. but gotta tell that to the miners :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve been planning a mid(ish) range PC build for the past 18 months or so…the fluctuation in prices held me back (plus Brexit’s impact upon the value of the pound) and my ability to switch to ancient console games also enabled me to tread water for a while. As a result I’ve had a keen eye on GPU’s. Prior to Vega’s launch I was intending to go with a PowerColor RX580 Red Devil Golden Sample because AMD has always provided a much better long term support of their cards and the extra VRAM made me feel more comfortable for longevity over the 1060’s 6GB. Rumours of Vega made me hold on. But when Vega showed up with it’s giant TDP’s and operating temperatures I started to re-evaluate. I have no idea what the pricing differences between cards are for you, but the Vega 56 is only just cheaper than the 1080ti for me (and is more expensive than the 1080) unless you have an excess of cash I’d go nvdia every time The 1070ti overclocks to around 1080 levels if that’s your thing (although I’d probably go 1080 given the choice and price differential).

However, two things strike me. Firstly given your Vega issues it sounds like you have an older motherboard, and therefore possibly and older CPU. If that’s the case you’re going to throttle those top end cards. Personally I’d probably shake my budget up a bit to take upgrade a few more components. The Ryzen R5 1600 is a great choice, the B350 boards will last (unlike Intel’s already dead socket for Coffeelake) and combine that with a 1070 you’ll be laughing.

However, that’s an incredible jump in your costs. The only good news is that nvidia’s CES 2018 is today so with any luck that’ll shake prices up a little. And possibly Meltdown/Spectre will shift processor pricing?

PS - Full disclaimer _ I have barely any idea what I’m talking about - All knowledge gained from hanging out on Overclockers forums for the past couple of years with the savant level intellects for PC components there.

Edit - Actually, doing a little research it looks like if you’d have sold the Vega rather than returning it you could have made a small profit (thanks to the mining craze and the Vega’s performance).

Antminer S9

2 Likes

I love Newegg. They are the best!

2 Likes

@xist Price fluctuations aren’t that bad in the US, or at least they came down temporarily to a regular-ish price. The MSRP is $400, roughly 1070 pricing, and I ended up buying it at $470, 1070ti pricing (it came out two days later, not happy with how many “VEGA KILLER?” thumbnails showed up right after buying it :frowning: ). Of course, I didn’t even come close to getting what I paid for with the drivers and all.

I know I’ll be facing a bottleneck with my CPU, it doesn’t really concern me. I’m sure I can at least get a much better Oculus experience, as I’m sick of playing in 0.8 Subsampling and a lot of the GPU Compute elements were what interested me anyway. I’m no stranger to absurd bottlenecks, and I don’t mind upgrading the rest of my computer later on to take full advantage of my hardware. The problem is that AMD’s Vega throws a diva tantrum about my computer while no other card will, and AMD won’t even acknowledge a driver issue on their part (when it works on every operating system EXCEPT 10):

Seriously, they might have named it the Vega, but it seems more like a Dudley to me.

By the way, is Nvidia CES really going on right now? That would explain why every 1070 and 1070ti went out of stock last night… I just can’t win, can I?

@delenn13

I love Newegg. They are the best!

Yup, nothing but good things to say about them right now. Absolutely incredible service on their part, without a doubt, not to mention I’ve had even less issues with packages than Amazon.

3 Likes
2 Likes