Radical Heights

yep lirik has gone full wimpy

3 Likes

funny how over 100k are watching this game on twitch, and it’s free to play, but there’s only 7k players… so ppl watching this don’t feel the urge to go play it apparently, and the first-day “hype” is gonna blow over soon, i don’t think these streamers will keep playing this after today either

I do find it somewhat entertaining to watch though, but that could just be cuz it’s something new i guess

2 Likes

@harith I just wanted you to know that You’re The Best Around!

3 Likes

lol, and i haven’t even tried

2 Likes

I’ve played it for like 20 mins and dont really like it need a lot of work but I’m watching Doctor D play it and it seems he likes it but yeah i agree they might only play it for a day or 2 and go back playing fortnite or whatever.

3 Likes

well, we’ll see what happens, had this game come b4 fortnite i think it could’ve been a huge success rly

2 Likes

I took it for a spin today, and I’m very impressed. Playing this compared to Fortnite or PUBG is like Rainbow Six Siege compared to Vegas. The long waiting times, the standing still for minutes at a time to get shot… it’s gone. This game not only condones but encourages constant movement, whether it be biking, dodgerolling, or jumping from high places, and it’s fairly light on the restrictions.

I also absolutely adore its theme. Remember Monday Night Combat? It’s hard not to think of a MOBA that had an awkward halftime where everyone shoots the mascot for money; these gameshow themed objects are everywhere, whether it’s a spin-to-win ziplining down from the sky or money showers that let you earn cash while being exposed to bullets.

The biggest issue by far is its launch. It could use a little animation polish (for example, you don’t pull out your gun while firing your pistol from a bike), there’s a lot of missing and prototype textures around the map, and the friends system is pretty messed up right now. All things considered, PUBG and Fortnite don’t come even close to the moment to moment action this game has going for it. I just can’t stress enough that it feels great to play a BR game where sitting in the corner ISN’T the best strategy, and it makes sense that it was CliffyB of all people to try this.

3 Likes

That’s incredibly encouraging to me because I was a big fan of Monday Night and was a bit sad when it died off.

3 Likes

I never had Xbox Live for the original and actually bought it for Blitz mode, but I played a good amount of Super MNC long after its death on a PC that couldn’t run it well. It made me sad that the game never found its footing, especially with how it essentially pioneered the subgenre half a decade early.

I was genuinely laughing as many of the events took place. After being used to seeing or hearing a plane, having everything interrupted by the Spin-to-Win event was just amazing. I’m trying to edit together my thoughts about the game in my spare time, and I honestly have a lot of great things to say about it. I was pretty worried about it while reading the reviews/forums, but it’s just an ongoing internet crusade against CliffyB and nothing to take seriously.

3 Likes

Y, but u never see the best PUBG and Fornite players just sit around in a corner though, look at shroud and ninja, they just run around owning ppl. I get that PUBG is quite boring at times, but i don’t think that goes for Fornite at all. In all, I definitely rate this better than H1 king of the kill though, and i’m kinda interested to see where this goes, but i fear it’s gonna b an uphill-battle from now on with the vry bad steam reviews they immediately got (plenty of ppl also claiming it runs like shit or is vry laggy for them, but honestly it runs quite well for the streamers… they rly need to iron out the issues with the bike riding though)

2 Likes

it’s rly cool to hear from someone who’s actually playing and enjoying the game too, lol

1 Like

I didn’t necessarily mean “proning” 100% of the time, but I was just trying to put the slower pace into words. The TTK in PUBG is almost instant, and mildly more generous in Fortnite. I don’t honestly follow the pro-leagues for most games, so I understand that the people who know what they’re doing are more active. That said, in Fortnite and PUBG, my response to nearby footsteps (and from the looks of it, from anyone else) is to get in a corner and prepare, or start placing traps/walls/elaborate-nonsense-escape-plan-structures. In RH, I kicked down the door and dodgerolled at the guy. Shotguns are slow enough to reload that once he missed the shot, finishing him off was easy.

I really hope they build on the versatile movement in this game. It already feels pretty good in its current state, but this kind of movement is exactly what I loved about LawBreakers. I’m also afraid that it will have the same issue as LawBreakers, where many players outright ignore their movement abilities and blame the game for the fact that they get destroyed-- that thought didn’t even cross my mind until someone on my Discord yelled “WAIT, THERE’S A DODGEROLL?!” after about five rounds.

The biking feels a bit rough, but I’d still use them any time. It didn’t stop me from climbing a building with it :wink:

2 Likes

I feel what you’re saying about fortnite and pubg. My issue was them was a bit different though. I don’t really get a true battle royale sense of urgency and suspense. I do in something like say… Darwin Project. They feel less hunger games and just more shooters. More so PUBG than Fortnite. At least fortnite has the building mechanic and is doing something a bit more unique. Pubg just comes off kind of bland for me.

I’m hoping this game will have the quirkiness that I’m at least looking for even if the gunplay itself is basic.

2 Likes

@CptMold take a look at this though

1 Like

can’t wait to see if Mavericks Proving Grounds will actually be able to pull off what they say they will; it sounds impossible…

2 Likes

I actually don’t have a problem with either game, and play both on a fairly regular occasion (PUBG more often due to my continued petty anger with Epic for canning Paragon). It’s just that a faster BR is something I’ve been dying to see for a long time, and Radical Heights not only does it, but does it WELL. I can’t wait to play more of the game, but right now I’m diving into VEGAS to put together a counterpiece to the hate-train the game has already amassed.

Since when was it cool to hate CliffyB? The guy’s never made a bad game once. He’s got a funny over-the-top persona, and it’s all done in good fun. The guy made Jazz Jackrabbit AND Gears of War, and he was a part of Fortnite before it was cool. I don’t get it :frowning:

2 Likes

Since he went and made an ass of himself claiming that PC games development is a waste of time and that all PC gaming is going to be is sims and flash games.

Then a couple of years later he makes this big spiel about how he’s back to PC gaming, talking as if he’s going to bless the platform with his attention once again.

We don’t really care about you CliffyB, stop making everything about you.

Looks like the PUBG devs are getting desperate in the face of all this competition.
https://archive.is/20180410163839/https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/7xdene/pubg-ransomware

4 Likes

Ah. I see. I’ve done a bit of research myself on it and all I can find is various four letter words thrown around, a few allusions to “gender neutral bathrooms” (a throwaway pointer people highlighted for some reason, or an in-joke from an old livestream, perhaps?) and, of course, some press conference where he talked about wanting to make a “Billion Dollar Franchise.”

He does have a bit of an over the top persona, I’ll give you that. Personally, I’ve just never taken it at face value. The first time I saw what he actually looked like, it was when he had himself cut in half by a Lancer in front of a live audience. As somebody playing the absolute crap out of Gears of War 2, it came out of nowhere and I loved the stunt.

The statement about how PC gaming was dying… that was a foolish one for sure, but a LOT of people were saying that. A rather worrying amount, actually. SquareEnix, for one, ruined some of my favorite IPs with this, most notably with Just Cause 3, Hitman: Season 1, and Deus Ex MD. In their search for new business models and MMO-esque mass appeal, they ruined several singleplayer franchises by focusing down on worthless features that nobody cared about to the detriment of the games themselves. Anyone worth listening to went right back on it and did what they did best, and that’s something SquareEnix DIDN’T do. That was right around the time that the Xbox One reveal happened, and to say that people were let down is the understatement of the century. The only positive talk I’ve ever heard about that old reveal was from Maximillian Dood, and mostly because they announced the Killer Instinct reboot there.

I can’t find the clip, but CliffyB’s always carried an exaggerated tone outside of the conferences. It’s just been “his thing” for the longest time, and something you have to take with a grain of salt. The people who crusade against him for it, though… it reminds me of when this joke video went viral and got the absolutely fantastic voice actor behind Sarif kicked out of DXMD:

There’s a video I’ve been desperately searching for that was part of the hype train leading up to Bulletstorm. It consisted of live-action footage where he was doing stupid things around the office for score, and an absolute riot… humor being subjective as it is, of course.

So… yeah. To turn that rambling into something cohesive, I’ve always loved the kind of abrasive persona that he carries, but I get why someone might find it frustrating or otherwise annoying. I do think that it’s a little unfair to pull that all out of context, as he does have a different appearance on and off the stage. He’s definitely someone that carries a lot of personal interest and passion into his projects, and as I said earlier, he did make Jazz Jackrabbit and Gears of War.

On the topic of PUBG ransomware… I’d suspect either a practical joke, some highly incompetent TenCent weirdness, or an awareness gag meant to scare people into realizing that ransomware is a real danger. The idea of BlueHole being behind that is so far-fetched and honestly hilarious that I never even considered it. If I’m proven wrong on this, and BlueHole is actually behind this, post a video of me smashing every MB of RAM I ever downloaded.

2 Likes

Yes I really don’t think they are, but it’s the funniest interpretation.

2 Likes

so i played Radical Heights for a little over a hour on steam and the only real issues with the game is performance issues & Unfinished/Untextured assets like buildings. & gameplay is ok but it will hopefully get better & i just hope they tone down the whole 70/80s feel just a touch i can feel it would get annoying after awhile with the announcers and crowd cheers and such.

2 Likes