[PSA] Steam 20th Anniversary - 3 stickers + 2 backgrounds + avatar for Steam profile

Get some freebies below:

Did you know that Steam officially launched on September 12nd of 2003 ?

11 Likes

I like the crab playing the piano. :musical_keyboard:

8 Likes

i didnt know the existence of steam until 2010 think jajaj because in 2003 i dont know steam existence XD but i love the platform

7 Likes

I registered with steam in order to buy and play Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People!
And that was apparently 16 may 2009. I did know of steams launch with Half-Life 2 though, but played that on x-box first.

6 Likes

The first time I’ve used Steam was way back on 2007 when I got myself a physical copy of Counter-Strike: Source months before the game was banned on Brazil. It included Day of Defeat: Source and HL2: Deathmatch. I still own it to this day, together with a physical copy of Starcraft + the Brood War expansion.

For a long time I’ve only had this game and Frontlines: Fuel of War on my Steam account, which I’ve bought with my Paypal funds back then.
Nowadays I look to my profile and I’m baffled by how many games I have now compared to that distant past. Looks like it was worth cleaning my Steam account from all those spider webs and garbage and get some games to my account, ranging from giveaways to gifted and bought games.

With that my account has grown a lot along the years and now I’m grateful for what it is now. :+1:

4 Likes

I didn’t like Steam at first because you don’t OWN your games. Still don’t. I download them when I can.

4 Likes

The flip side of that (not unique to Steam anymore, but still a perk) is compatibility. A real problem with a number of my old games is an absolute inability to install them from disk onto a modern OS (often for silly reasons). But Steam (and now other launchers like GoG) don’t generally “install” a game so much as download it and launch it. In other words, Steam games are handled more like portable applications and generally don’t touch the registry. So, short of emulation or keeping relic hardware sitting around, I’ve actually gotten more longevity out of some of my Steam games than some on disks!

5 Likes

I have the original disc of Need for speed Special edition and it required a version of direct x 3 i belive in order to install the game. So back in the days i would have a newer direct x version installed, and the game would refuse to launch the installation wizard. :frowning:

6 Likes

You both are correct. Times change. The only real reason I joined Steam as I was buying all those cool, cheap bundles from Humble and Indie Royale(no longer exists) and they included downloads, art work manuals, music and Steam keys And desura keys too.

So I caved and joined Steam as to not waste the keys. Never used the Desura keys…

5 Likes

I seem to remember that I finally joined Steam because I bought Portal on disc at a local store, and I think it required a Steam account. Even then, I procrastinated a long time before joining Steam. Like delenn I felt better about “owning” my game. Also, I was afraid that Steam would require me to have a constant internet connection when playing games, which I felt could be a slight security risk vs playing without internet (also, in the old days, monthly internet bandwidth was more limited).

4 Likes