Over The Wire

A few weeks ago I finished the Labyrinths DLC for Hacknet (thank you @Evranu). I very much enjoyed Hacknet and went looking for other similar things, I found NITE Team 4 on sale, it was interesting, but only initially, it soon became more about solving puzzles than using tech skills.

I eventually stumbled on to the mother lode!

Over The Wire

This is a website that lets you try out and learn Penetration Testing techniques in a completely safe, and more importantly, legal fashion.

I’ve always been interested in Pen Testing but haven’t had the time or inclination to setup a Metasploit VM Cluster or anything like that, also, I have always been aware that as a IT professional dealing with sensitive material, that I need to be doubly careful in what I do online.

Anyway enough of the warnings about applying skills in the wrong place - back to OTW:

The website has a number of Wargames that range from beginner to complex.

Each Wargame has a different feel:

The website recommends you start with Bandit - it is all about SSH, 'NIX command line and eventually shell scripting. I would suggest it’s a good place to start, but it does get noticeably harder around level 25.

Don’t be afraid to move to another game, if you get stuck.

Natas has more of a webpage feel to it rather than focussing on command line, although that features too.

Basically have a look around see what you think - All I can say is that this website is going to take up A LOT of my time!

Two final points:

1. If the terms I’ve used in this post are not familiar to you, don’t worry, there is a fair bit of hand-holding initially, but it also might be that this is not for you. :slight_smile:
  2. Don’t be tempted to cheat and look up solutions it’s worth taking as long as you need and getting that sense of accomplishment!

Good luck

7 Likes

I think I came across this site a week or so ago coincidentally cuz i was looking for network automation resources. I didnt look long as it wasnt what i needed at the time (plus I went through a pile of other stuffs) but it sounds interesting :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: might try

2 Likes