Orwell and Hyperdrive Massacre Free on Steam | Also XCOM 2 News Update: Tactical Legacy DLC is Out.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this reference in XCOM terms.

3 Likes

I haven’t played these games since something like this happened to me

Lost an important match because of it…

6 Likes

Ok… so after seeing this and talking to my alt - @Gnuffi :smiley: I tested it out for 13 hours plus. I can see why there’s a hype about the game surely. Except for the visual bugs - shooting through walls and what not (and few times gamebreaking bugs like enemies no longer visible etc) I see why the game is so highly praised for what it is - turn based tactical combat.

I have a lot of gripes whit how they decided to do things however, so I will lay them down in a quick fashion.

1. I’m really disappointed that I had to spent half of my time in the ship instead doing missions. This was mainly the case in the first 5 hours until you get the hang of it, but still … they could have made the upgrade system like progression and don’t bother you as much when you just started the game.

2. Repetition - I’ve seen only 4 kinds of missions so far and they got really old real fast.

• Extraction of a VIP
    • Extraction of 6 random citizens + killing all the enemies
    • Killing all the enemies without damaging potential supplies
    • Killing all the enemies while securing and protecting a relay (or the hell it is)

I don’t count the mission where you had to capture a guy or where you have to plant explosives or to hack something… they are kinda same thing in general - get to the objective and do whatever the game is asking.

1. Quick saves and saves during missions should be out of the game for good.

2. Not enough enemy variety for the start of the game. I got introduced to few cool new enemies after 10 hours in… before that it was mainly the same 3-4 types over and over. One exception is the Codex guardian, but you probably even delay that encounter. They could have made the missions far more interesting by introducing a lot more end game enemies with weaker stats or something, because at this point the early game is the same over and over and over.

3. Spending half of my time on the ship wasn’t the worst part. The worst part was that even than they didn’t made good job explaining what needs to be done about communication options. I’m not talking about upgrading side things like gear or whatever, I’m talking about actual progress in the main story. I kinda rushed a bit the ship management talks, but getting stuck at trying to figure out how to expand the communication with the rebels to contact new areas was really funny. It was never said that I need to sacrifice a room on the ship to be able to do that and yet you can’t progress without it :slight_smile: (if it was said … I had only 3 days to test the game so don’t crucify me about that). I was trying to find a way to build communication TOWERS on the ground… not to build a tower on a space ship.

4. It’s awesome they hired Jon Bailey (Honest game trailers) to do some voice acting though :stuck_out_tongue:. The music in general though… I know violins are “epic”, but can’t be always the same … damn.

I thought I will have a really bad experience with the RNG in this game, but nope… I knew what to expect and when you try to maximize your chances you shouldn’t have much of an issues. It’s a really really good game compared to everything released in the past 10 years (where everything above average is a masterpiece anyway :smiley: I blame the customers) and I just wanted to vent a bit, because it’s not something I would go for on my own, but being f2p for few days kinda made me want to try it. I love fast paced action games and this pretty much collided with what I want from the games I play, which is funny because I played Heroes 3 for ages and still love it :smiley: How is that possible … I don’t know.

7 Likes

Well, there may not be much mission variety, that is true but it is more about how you approach it. There is also Long War 2 which is a complete overhaul of the base game and thousands of Mods to choose from.

Also there is the expansion that came out last year which adds more variety, like new factions and enemies.
One of the biggest complaints was that there was too much human/alien hybrids at the early stage of the game, so you are not alone on that front.

I don’t know what to say, it is my favourite game and I am sorry you didn’t get what you wanted from it. Even if you didn’t dislike it, mate.

Thanks for your honest feedback.

6 Likes