Nasty WinRAR bug is being actively exploited to install hard-to-detect malware.

10 Likes

People still use WinRAR? 7-Zip is where it’s at.

8 Likes

where what’s at? like srsly what difference does it make what program u unzip a file with???

5 Likes

In this case, whether or not you get a trojan on your computer.

2 Likes

wait wait wait, they publicly disclosed a vulnerability, before fixing it?! :man_facepalming: :dizzy_face:
what in the actual fuck,
don’t they/groups like that usually talk with “manufacturors” about that stuff before making an announcement? (thought i saw somewhere sometime that was common practice, to avoid this sort of thing) :thinking:

got it once upon a time, neeever had to look back on another "30day free Winrar trial"refresh since :smile:

3 Likes

https://www.maketecheasier.com/7-zip-vs-winrar-vs-winzip/

TLDR: In this test, 7-Zip is as good as WinZIP and better than WinRAR while still being 100% free. You can find other tests too and they will show the free 7-Zip at the top while WinZIP and WinRAR cost money.

3 Likes

i never paid for winrar and never used anything else, i once tried 7-zip and it was garbage to use, that was probably 7-10 years ago

2 Likes

Ooof. I always used winrar, it’s probably good I never downloaded it on my new computer. That’s pretty awful.

2 Likes

Pot Kettle Black.

7Zip has had its fair share of security flaws too, and it takes a matter of seconds to find similar security flaws. I use Winrar AND 7Zip, although I favour Winrar. If you do too then either update to 5.70 which fixes the flaw, or just delete the UNACEV2.DLL file in the Winrar program folder. Crisis averted.

And for those who care I prefer Winrar over 7Zip because

1. It allows previews of file contents - ie click on an image within an archive and it opens properly.
  2. It handles splitting files into parts with a sensible naming structure that allows opening from any part.
  3. RECOVERY RECORDS (all caps). This has saved my bacon more than once in the past.
  4. I kind of prefer the interface.
  5. I’m sure I could fix it if I used it more but 7zip always bugs me with UAC in Win 7.

tl,dr…people like different things. different things have different problems.

5 Likes

While you’re obviously free to use whatever you want, 7zip does very much allow previews of file contents. I don’t know what you consider a “sensible naming structure” but [name].7z.### seems entirely sensible to me. True you can only open the .001 file I think.

I like 7zip because it feels less clunky then winrar did just as winrar was less so than winzip.

3 Likes

Just tried this with an nfo file within an archive…there’s no view option? So it’s impossible to read it…is there something I’m missing here?

It’s not when you consider that the final part of a file name represents it’s file type. Winrar uses part##.rar which is a far more sensible convention than effectively creating new file types for each part (I know it’s not but you understand what I’m getting at). It’d be far more sensible if 7Zip retained the .7z at the end of each part.

1 Like

Probably. Don’t know what you have associated to handle .nfo files but at least windows 7 is a bit sensitive about those, considers them system information files. So what’cha do right, is you just double click on the file and 7zip will open the feller up in whichever program you’ve got assigned to be in charge of 'em.

2 Likes

Ah, I don’t have an associated program. Winrar reads/views files without one…that’d be the issue then.

1 Like

No, from what I gather they removed the vulnerability after Check Point Software Technologies informed them about it, then about a month later CPST published their findings, and now, a couple of weeks later, people started to get hit through this vulnerability because of course that’s what happens with a program that most people install during initial system setup and never ever update.
Hmm, I probably should check if I need to update anything :unamused:

3 Likes

List of WinRAR alternatives:

https://alternativeto.net/software/winrar/

What I use, free and Open Source (Win, Linux):

Also use this, free and Open Source for Linux:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/FileRoller

Here’s a suggestion of a free and Open Source alternative for Mac:

https://www.keka.io/en/

4 Likes

:grimacing: … ouf, naming something late saturday night with a buzz and wake up next day a little hungover and realize :no_mouth:
:smile:

3 Likes