Mozilla Firefox Extensions Failure

dude, not funny, now there’s an fatty outline of my hand on my screen

3 Likes

I use Vivaldi and uBlock Origin. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

reminds me of those annoying "there is a fly on your screen"avatars/icons o.0

2 Likes

Those figures account for all browser use though…and whilst I wouldn’t disagree that most phone and tablet users aren’t going to be using Firefox, I’d think a much larger proportion of the casual PC users are going to be using Edge or Firefox rather than Chrome.

And my Firefox still hasn’t updated to the hotfix yet…(cba to fiddle with it when I can just use Chrome instead)

1 Like

They have published a proper patch now.

A Firefox release has been pushed — version 66.0.4 on Desktop and Android, and version 60.6.2 for ESR. This release repairs the certificate chain to re-enable web extensions, themes, search engines, and language packs that had been disabled (Bug 1549061). There are remaining issues that we are actively working to resolve, but we wanted to get this fix out before Monday to lessen the impact of disabled add-ons before the start of the week. More information about the remaining issues can be found by clicking on the links to the release notes above. (May 5, 16:25 EDT)

So go urge your browser to update.

4 Likes

Ugh, it has been horrible without my add-ons. How long is this going to go on?!

EDIT

Oh! An update? Thank God!

1 Like

Ok. I went through Reddit and a whole conspiracy theory is going on that might explain what happened.

Around April 10th, Chrome and Firefox removed an add-on called “Dissenter” from being downloaded from their extension stores.

Some time later, Dissenter updates their website to explain how to install “Dissenter” manually into firefox and chrome.

On May 2nd, Firefox decides to make changes to add-on updates and policies and when it updated it crashed all the extensions. The theory is that they tried to stop “Dissenter” from being manually downloaded.

Of course, now it’s fixed and Firefox denies “Dissenter” from being the reason for them breaking their browser. And that coincidental timings are coincidental. The End.

I don’t know “Dissenter” is still unable to be downloaded and whatnot. But there is a verbal exodus (they say they will, but who knows if they will) of people going to use the Brave browser. I’ve never heard of Brave. So I’ll give it a download myself.

3 Likes

That sounds like attributing malice to something where incompetence is an easier explanation. Yeah the silicone valley tech giants really don’t like gab and anything they do, they really want to be rulers of the internet and control what can be discussed and what views are expressible online.

The removal of dissenter is indeed a boatload of censorious BS as the plugin does not do anything wrong in any way. But I tested it now to make sure and it can still be installed today and I do have the xpinstall.signatures.required flag at it’s default state of true.

So the plugin looks like it’s still signed as safe, just no longer distributed by Mozilla anymore. Which is still stupid but I guess a choice they’re entitled to.

3 Likes