This thread is intended to be discussions on these key topics:
- What monitor(s) you use and why
- Recommended brands, hardware, panels, etc.
- Discussion regarding the monitor triangle* (size vs. refresh rate vs. resolution, price increases will all)
- General Thoughts regarding monitors
To kick this off, my main intent here is I’m looking for a new monitor that will be able to utilize the 10, 16, and 20 series NVIDIA card’s adaptive sync without breaking the bank.
I actually really like the AOC one that I bought from Walmart. Unfortunately, I can’t readily find it anymore except on ebay or random 3rd party sellers. The part I like about it is the quick on and off of the screen. Especially compared to the ASUS monitor.
To give an example, if I restart the computer, the AOC will go into sleep mode very shortly after loss of signal, the ASUS will tell me “No Signal”, then go to sleep mode, and when the computer boots back up, the AOC is up in time for the BIOS screen, while the ASUS will either just barely catch it (not enough time to read the keybind) or miss it entirely.
My personal opinion is that the monitor doesn’t need to tell me that it’s lost signal like TVs do. In fact, that is one of the reasons I don’t like TVs. They’ll sit there telling you that there is no source until it turns off.
I also don’t really care for the button placement on the ASUS, it sits behind the monitor while the AOC is on the bottom. I find it easier to access and know which button I’m actually hitting on the AOC.
So know I’ve covered kinda what I have, moving on to what to get.
I’m currently wondering what is the most important on the Monitor Triangle*. Currently I’m sitting at 24", 60Hz, and 1080p. To help out, I’m not interested in spending many hundreds of dollars on a monitor, I’ll put my max at 250 USD. I’m also not very interested in 4k presently as I only have a 1070ti.
Let’s break this specific case into a series of questions that can be used for discussion:
- What do you think is a good target refresh rate for monitors and why?
- Which size or sizes of monitors do you personally think are best? Are there any particular reasons?
- What resolution do you think gives the best experience? Why? (I understand this one may be game dependent)
- Are there any additional features that you think are worth paying extra for? What makes you recommend them? (Adaptive Sync, HDR, VESA, etc.)
If you think this is completely subjective and discussing it is pointless, don’t be afraid to say so. Otherwise, I would be interested in people’s thoughts.
*Not really called a triangle, maybe not even a triangle at all