Microscopy

Nice channel, I just subbed! :slight_smile:

Fiberoptic cable FTW!

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, @BlivetWidget :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Haven’t had the chance to watch but I will. I recall some interesting views of different types of hair when I was in my Uni courses .It was really cool. It made me want a microscope but I was a poor student… :expressionless:

Edit: I watched it. Now you need to do a hair from your arm or maybe some dog or cat fur/hair(Find a coarser hair). The gray pigmentation was really strange looking.

3 Likes

@Donluis524 haha correct, just focusing of the microscope. When I’m zoomed in, my depth of field is only about half a micron, so only +/-0.0000005 meters up and down from my focal point is actually in focus.

@YQMaoski Thanks! Yeah, it would be legitimately interested to know if anyone has used a human hair as a waveguide. Given the refractive index of keratin, I’m sure it would work, but I can’t see any practical application (outside of cyberpunk scalp implants for glowing hair…).

@delenn13 then brace yourself for three more hairs on Monday, one of which is a cat hair!

5 Likes

I’ll just drop this one here since @delenn13 had asked about the cat hair…

6 Likes

Pretty cat. Looks kinda like my cat, Wizzard. :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Was interesting to note that all three hairs were a bit similar.

4 Likes

@BlivetWidget Some tips regarding the technical aspects of your shoots, if you don’t mind:

1. more cat, please
  2. more cat = more better

It will magnify the production value:3

Seriously though, I like your narration, both the tempo and the colour of your voice; they remind me of Ze Frank’s.
When I was little, I used to scope lake/pond water from around my town, there are all kinds of monsters living in it. Mold was cool to, bit tricky to transfer; used to have a sammich colony with white, green, red, black and azure.
Oh, and you can “catch” snowflakes with the slide and view them outside, if it’s still winter where you live.

@delenn13 Thanks for advertising this; if it wasn’t for “Pretty cat.” I would have put off watching it indefinitely again:D

3 Likes

Ze Frank was the first vlogger i followed, during his year of daily videos, mostly of rubber duckies.

1 Like

Probably I would get real yubtub traction if I made the channel “Shane’s Catscope” :cat2:

I do appreciate the kind words (and I very much enjoy True Facts…)!

I didn’t have a microscope growing up, so it’s all new to me. I’m interested in everything, but I can definitely agree that water organisms have thus far proven to be the most exciting. I made a deliberate choice to get a modern but cheapish scope for my first one so I wouldn’t be too afraid to take things apart and discover stuff like this:

And in today’s video, I re-visited the moss microbes after storing them indoors…

4 Likes

That one section looked like ants “doing their thing”. That spinning creature was awesome too. :hugs: :sunglasses: :star_struck:

1 Like

Yeah, sometimes I see interesting ‘streams’ of microbes, sometimes even of bacteria (though of course they are too small to see any detail). I’m thinking this must be some artifact of the way I create the slides, but it looks super neat!

Speaking of neat, we get to observe a hypotrich divide in this one (as well as the first multicellular organism I’ve seen in the microscope)!

3 Likes

Some interesting things in my dust, for anyone curious. Including eldritch horrors! :grinning:

3 Likes

Finally found time to watch these two.

I really liked when you used the dark field. It made things easier to see. And that cell division was really awesome to see.

The dust one…Don’t think about the mouth… :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Actually it turns out the eldritch horror is a stellate trichome. It’s like plant fur. I didn’t know plants had a version of fur, but it turns out many of them do! I’m learning a lot here :microscope: :eye:

3 Likes

Just for those who aren’t enjoying the 17-year cicada rush in their part of the world:

3 Likes

That was really cool. Thanks for the peek at the Cicada wing. :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Is this what you see from a blade of grass???

It’s not her work tho…

2 Likes

Ha! A very pretty slice, and an image taken with a very expensive fluorescence microscope!

2 Likes

I continue to put out weekly videos - I figure anyone interested is probably subscribed. I did a bonus video this weekend that might even appeal to non-microscope enthusiasts though, so I wanted to post it. I hope you can get a chuckle out of it =).

5 Likes

You’re too funny. My butt stays where it wants already… :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

My RSS feeds had this in it. Cool pics. I may snag a few for my desktop…Maybe. :thinking:

2 Likes