Memes, Memes Everywhere

This needs reviving, so here

14 Likes

Looks like discourse has completely broken linking now.

11 Likes

11 Likes

please donā€™t repost memeā€™s, find some new ones instead (or maybe different takes on the same meme)

11 Likes

Oops, sorry, missed that oneā€¦ Didnā€™t realize it is already on hereā€¦

8 Likes

Iā€™ll be honest, SW Battlefront II doesnā€™t deserve the hate. Having played it, the business model doesnā€™t really get in the way. It never really did, and arguably the rates are a little too quick now. The progression is there, but it also made playing the game more feel like you were accomplishing something without locking you out of 80% of the game like R6 Siege. Not to mention, this was SUPPOSED to mean free DLC, as a counterthesis to what happened with EA Battlefront. They listened, we didnā€™t give a s***.

Those loading times on Xbox, thoughā€¦ that canā€™t be forgiven.

5 Likes

Actually if the business model had remained as intended, the game would have been a moneysink. With MTX being blocked, everyone had an even starting point, but without them, you would have constantly been matched with people who spent hundreds of dollars on loot crates, and thus would have flat out stronger characters than you on day 1.

How would you react if you BOUGHT a game on launch, and in your first ever game, mere hours after the official release, you are pushed around by other stronger people, not because they are better, but because they threw more money at a game? Remember this isnā€™t a free-to-play game where itā€™s somewhat excusable, you forked out money (60-80$ or even worse Euroā€™s in the EU) to be pushed around by people who threw more money than you. Most people would feel annoyed by that. And of those annoyed people, there are 3 types of responses:
1)Throwing money at the game themselves to get on an even playing field
2)Quitting
3)Sucking it up until you finally give in and do options 1) or 2), or vary rarely up until the end.

Thereā€™s also the fact that the in-game progression had to be sped up after the backlash that itā€™s too slow. If the loot crates had been there for ā€œplayer choiceā€, then the progression shouldnā€™t have had to be changed because microtransactions were removed. Since the progression WAS sped up, then itā€™s because having the MTX in the game DID in fact, affect it.

As for the ā€œfree DLCā€, well some of us old geezers are juuuust old enough to remember that it used to be that small minor dlc were free in the first place until publishers figured out that it can be held at ransom and people would pay for it.

12 Likes

I know thatā€™s the common concern, but in practice I never felt like the upgraded players were that bad. Maybe itā€™s the killtimes, the already-high damage output of many weapons, or general mobility youā€™re granted, but I found that the upgrades [while nice] donā€™t really make a difference all the time. You could still get the drop on these players. When I throw a grenade, I expect it to blow up, and I expect it to do damageā€¦ not even once has a player looked at my grenade and gone ā€œHm. Thatā€™s a Lv1 grenade. I can use my superior grenade.ā€ They go ā€œWATCH THOSE WRIST ROCā€“ā€ before uttering some stock scream and being forced to respawn. I know your concern, and Iā€™ve seen these systems done WAY worseā€¦ but I donā€™t think Battlefront is an offender. It really is the straw that broke the camelā€™s back, as when I think of games that have really abused microtransaction systems, not once does BFII come to mind. The beta rates were pretty bad, but they did listen, and at launch I felt like everything was pretty fair.

Playing Darth Vader for the first time felt like an actual progression, and while you could get by with regular characters, the kind of accomplishment (kek) that you got from plowing through four rebels at once for the first time felt awesome.

Part of it is also the fact that BFII really felt like a step up from other entries, gameplay wise. They integrated a Squads system in a cool way, either having respawn times by wave or as soon as you got four players ready to spawn in-- those four would be part of a squad together, and the presentation is top-notch (the first time I saw the holograms of two Battledroids next to Maul and a Droideka, all rendered with that classic hologram effect and just the right amount of post-process, I lost my s***)ā€¦ just perfect. They designated heroes and fighters to in-match currency, and the average player can easily work their way towards one or two special characters per match without having to camp out by the token spawn (EABF1) or be randomly graced by the old BFIIā€™s ā€œWONNA BE LUEK SKAIWAHKAR?!? [left or right d-pad]ā€ prompt. Again, we asked, they listened.

This kind of thing annoys me because, while I understand the anger behind EABF, they did listen to what we said and they got their s*** together this time around. When they try to cater to their community and receive death by a thousand cuts online, it makes ā€œvote with your walletā€ ring completely hollow-- they have their crowd, the people who pay for thousands of dollarsā€™ worth in microtransactions. Why would they cater to an audience that will never be pleased? The answer: they wonā€™t. Theyā€™ll turn around and point towards that guy who paid $15K in Mass Effect 3 to go ā€œyeah. That worked. Letā€™s do that.ā€

Also, personally I never had the experience of free DLC. Maybe it was because I played mostly console games where the game was either as great (Halo, Mercenaries, SSX 3) or as terrible (KotOR 2) as it was on the disc, no exceptions. The few times where I had expansion packs, they were never free-- Age of Empires 1 and 2 both sold Gold Editions, or you had to buy Rise of Rome/Age of Conquerors (respectively) separately. Dawn of War 1 has more expansion races than it has standard races.

I donā€™t remember a single time where I actually got something for free like this-- in the end, Iā€™ve always assumed that if itā€™s being made separately, itā€™s being sold separately. Thereā€™s clear examples of good side content like Sporeā€™s expansions, then thereā€™s games like Mass Effect 3 that crossed the line. I know youā€™ve heard it a thousand times, but companies exist to make money-- if they can do that and still give me a good product without making me feel second-class, then Iā€™ve got no problem with Darth Vader being a top-tier late-game unlock.

6 Likes

when you have an extra copy of a game

:joy:
just kidding, i love giving out games :smile: :hugs:

23 Likes

13 Likes

@Enki
If this says [post deleted, will be withdrawn in 24 hoursā€¦] soon, even temporarily, you will officially be the greatest s***poster of all time.

9 Likes

mine
-no
ā€¦MINE!

13 Likes

That dude is a flogbag

6 Likes

13 Likes

Idk what the hell that abomination is, but someone better kill it with fire before it multiplies.

13 Likes

pretty sure it already has

12 Likes

Harry Potter cast: Then & Now
Click on the picture to see all.

14 Likes

10 Likes

omg hedwig :joy:, -iā€™m ded :joy:

11 Likes

sure

:exploding_head::dizzy_face:

11 Likes