Looking for a Free to Cheap Casual Game

This is an odd request, but I’m looking for free to cheap (under $5) Steam game that doesn’t require me to do too much. When I’m coding sometimes I wanna play a game for a bit, but when I take these mini 5-10 minute breaks I’m not trying to stop and play a game like CS:GO.

I’m thinking of something maybe like Soda Dungeon where I just kind of set some things up, let it go, and come check on it when I get tired or bored.

I’m not looking for super simple clicker like Clicker Heroes and I’ve already done Realm Grinder.

Any ideas?
Oh… I guess I should include what I’ve already played.

6 Likes

I think this might be good for ya, I’ve enjoyed every minute of it

4 Likes

That looks good. That might be the one @Enki I’ll keep checking for responses. I’ve added it to my wishlist either way. I like these old school pixel art games as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You already own Volume, put some time into it.

4 Likes

Actually, it’s not that odd of a request. In that topic, I recommended Mini Metro but I’m sure you are already well familiar with that game by now.

How about…

or

or

5 Likes

Saw you had puzzle quest marvel on there, that one is a bit of a grind, but this one from memory you can play more at your own pace, though it still has the f2p trappings of mobile games. I haven’t played it in a few years but it was an alright experience when I was playing it.

3 Likes

Is what I tend to play in such moments. The story campaign is great but just popping in and playing a few match 3 sessions is what I keep coming back for. Though it’s $10 base price it’s something to look out for on a sale.

Or pretty much any simpler rogue like might suit the situation as well.

A rather silly/amusing little management/tower defensish game. You’re an apartment manager for various monsters and have to furnish your units to attract various kinds and then heroes come to attack you and you have to have your monsters defend the place.

5 Likes

Hm. Maybe I should clarify some more. I’m looking for a super casual game. These games all seem good, but they also seem like games I’d end up playing for more than just 5-10 minutes at a time so I’ve been adding some of them to my wishlist. For instance, Volume, I’d actually want to play that for like an hour or more because it looks really interesting.

I mentioned Soda Dungeon before because it’s fairly hands off. I buy some upgrades, pick some characters, they run a dungeon. While they do that, I go code or whatever then I come back and some progress is made. This is more of a game to just dilly dally in while I’m actually working on something and not be too distracting. It’s probably a game that has idle elements, but maybe with some other mechanic(s) in there as well.

I have plenty of fun games to play for sure, I’m just looking for something that’s more of a quick distraction that I won’t get lost in for an hour because it’s so interesting or because it keeps challenging me more and more - haha.

Also, thank you for the suggestions so far. Some of these (including the one in my library) I didn’t even know about. Bundles, ya know…

5 Likes

though awesome you know dungeons of dredmor, I have like 100 hours in that game.

most of it spent crafting clockwork armour.

4 Likes

Just set it up and watch pixels die.

There’s also this: Cuboid Sandbox

5 Likes

https://206.81.1.216/t/paperclips/7296?u=xist

4 Likes

Once I started with Gems of War I couldn’t put it down anymore. That game is also available for mobile and on consoles.

3 Likes

that game’s dangerous man, swallowed me whole for 2 days

3 Likes

It was a fun ride though, wasn’t it?

4 Likes

it definitely was y, but i even missed some sleep over it, lol

4 Likes

I think Mini Metro is a really good casual game to play once in a while

3 Likes

You might like to try:

Run throughs are normally fairly short (cause death…) but fun. At $4.99 though it’s maybe a bit much to buy without trying, but the android version (and all it’s spinoffs) are free - no ads either.

3 Likes

This one was a neat little game if you just want something short. And the sequel is only 3€, I have yet to play it but I bought it here a while back.

2 Likes

Figured I might add my 2 cents in here.

Great for short, bursts of gameplay.

Or http://store.steampowered.com/app/204530/
Infested planet is an fairly simple RTS-ish game.

From the list of games you have already played:
Also you already own castle crashers, I highly recommend trying to beat the ‘back of barbarian’ game mode… that is fairly short gameplay bursts.

You also own space beast terror fright, which has short bursts of gameplay (but is not great as a “break” game).

3 Likes

I’d suggest holy potatoes if it wouldn’t require your attention every other min, super duper casual that game

I think it might take longer later on tho

3 Likes