Life As An Australian Gamer

Hey guys, love the premise you have for the site, but I have a small request.

Currently, for Australia, we’re paying huge amounts of money for the same games others buy, due to a horrible exchange rate (1 dollar is currently 75 US cents) on top of the ‘Australia tax’ (companies raising prices in Australia because they used to have to pay for shipping, which was never as expensive as the overall tax- they still raise the price, but due to everything being digital now, its purely greedy).

If you have any sort of region-detection on the site, is there any chance a special deal could be made for Australians, and, perhaps, other low-dollar countries so that they don’t have to pay obscene amounts for the same product? Would this sort of thing have to be sorted out on the devs’ side, rather than Chrono.gg?

This is coming after I went and looked at the Division on Steam and saw that it, with the season pass, would cost me $140 to buy if I wanted it. I don’t, but nevertheless the pricing is extreme and unaffordable.

If there’s nothing that can be feasibly done about it, I understand, but thank you anyway for this interesting and, potentially very exciting site!

2 Likes

I’m from AU as well, but you have to understand they’re a US-based company and their profits are defined by how much they buy and sell the keys for. Regardless of exchange rate, the deals they’ve been giving so far are way below whatever price the games were previously so the ‘australian tax’ (which is just exchange rate at this point since they offer the exact same price regardless of region) is non-existent.

They don’t price the games based on region so they’re already doing the best they can really.

3 Likes

Some devs (mainly ‘AAA’ devs) still do region-based pricing on Steam, it’s a well-documented issue, especially for Aus, but yeah, I wasn’t really expecting much that they could do- other than maybe talk to the devs about taking Aussies into consideration.

2 Likes

Region-based pricing is definitely something we’ve thought about, but it’s a big undertaking to be honest. We’ll continue to explore our options, who knows what can happen in the future! :slightly_smiling:

Yeah, likewise. I feel the pain about buying games and being in Australia. Hence we need more sites like Chrono.gg to help us make every dollarydoo stretch further.

3 Likes

How do you guys live with the constant threat of dropbears?

2 Likes

That’s why we have this hats. For some reason, dropbears are sensitive to the smell of cork.

3 Likes